PDA

View Full Version : Mexican FireLeg Tarantula hasnt eaten in 2 months

mag2794
02-10-2012, 12:46 AM
I've had my mexican fire leg tarantula for almost a year
its been doing great it has eaten great in the past and molted fine no problems
its still young about 2 and a half almost three inches
i left in the middle of december ( she was feed a week prior to me leaving and well watered ) and stayed out of town for two weeks i couldnt find anyone to keep her
i came around the 3rd of Jan. and she was fine but she wouldnt eat i made sure she had water
sadly two weeks ago she got really dehydrated so i took her out and kept her in cup with water and slightly damp napkins
two days later she started walking fine and acting normal so i fixed up her tank and put her back

BUT SHE STILL WONT EAT!!!!
she has a nice sized tan mark on her butt so im thinking shes going to molt but that marks been on ther for over two weeks
shouldnt she already have molted??
im so confused and i dont know whats wrong with her! please help thanks

firfly
02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
How does she look? Is she active or non active? How does her abdomen look?

KayM
02-10-2012, 01:04 AM
I only have a B Emilia, she has not eaten for almost a month now. The only advise I can offer is to continue to keep her humidity up - mist the cage every day, and make sure her water bowl is full. Not sure where you are located, but if it is your winter, also make sure she is not cold. It can be that she is recovering from the dehydration, or that she may be in pre-molt.

Good luck and keep us posted!

mag2794
02-10-2012, 01:19 AM
How does she look? Is she active or non active? How does her abdomen look?

Her legs are a little dull... Her abdomen is not shriveled or really small... She is a little active while ago actually came out and walked to her bowl .. She drank some water I think !!!
It is winter but it's not freezing my room has a heater and it keeps my room really warm for the most part
She also hides a lot and she's very jump and skiddish

firfly
02-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Her legs are a little dull... Her abdomen is not shriveled or really small... She is a little active while ago actually came out and walked to her bowl .. She drank some water I think !!!
It is winter but it's not freezing my room has a heater and it keeps my room really warm for the most part
She also hides a lot and she's very jump and skiddish

I think she is fine, B. Smithi's can go quite some time, without food befor a molt, they are very tough also. Keep an eye on her abdomen, if she is drinking you are most likely looking at pre-molt if there she has a bald spot on her butt, and it turns solid black you will know that a molt is very close, I would advise you to try to raise the humidity just a little during this period until the molt is complete. Best of luck with your Smithi.

marcfrick2112
02-10-2012, 01:52 AM
mag2794, when you hit 5 posts, you can post pics, that;s the best way for us to help you...

BUT, yea.. T's can go a LOOONG time without feeding....
Umm, no offense.. but a 2 month fast is Nothing to a rose hair (Grammostola rosea) ... LOL!

I really feel yer T will be fine, in all seriousness... but, pics will help us tell... if the abd. looks plump, and T has clean water always, you 2 should be fine...

High_Rolling_T
02-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I agree with marc, 2 months for a tarantula is nothing. I've had 1/4" slings go for 4-5 months without changing an iota in their appearance(as far as abdomen). Just keep trying to feed her weekly and remove any uneaten crickets within about 24 hours. She'll eat when she wants to, and honestly, if she doesn't want to, there's nothing you can really do. I once had a Phlogius crassipes who refused to eat or drink until it died.

santac
02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
I have a number of Brachypelma and they can go quite some time without eating with no problem. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Get us a picture once you can.