Thread: What to get next?

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks

What to get next?

Hi All,

I've been bitten. Not by a tarantula, but by tarantulas. In general. In other words, I really like them and want to get more! It's my birthday today and I've decided to get more tarantulas as my birthday present.

I've done a bit of poking around and research, and made a good sized list of Ts I'd like to go for. The features I'm looking for are attractiveness, displayability / personality (pet holes bore me), and to a lesser degree temperament. I don't plan to handle any of these, but I'd rather not have a demon on my hands if unforeseen circumstances become seen. Also, I plan to get a few of whatever I get so I can try my hand at breeding when they mature. So without any further ado, here's my short-list of Ts:

Aphonopelma Chalcodes - Unique looking blonde giant
      Bumba Cabocla - Jet black and unique look
      Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - Striking colors and patterns
      Cyriocosmus Leetzi - Colorful dwarf
      Euathlus sp. red - Cute dwarf with interesting personality
      Grammostola Pulchra - I already have one, and would like to have more!

I've found one seller fairly close to me, pinchersandpokies, that has g pulchra and c leetzi for sale but... There's another seller, fearnottarantulas, that has Euathlus red and C cyaneo for sale! Either way I'd end up with a group of larger sized Ts and a dwarf sized group, but how do I choose?! Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      PS, just because it's fun to talk about here are some others that I find fascinating but didn't make the short list for various reasons (price, difficulty, etc).

Cyriocosmus Elegans - Really good looking small T, but C Leetzi has similar colors and I like their patterns better
      Davus Pentaloris - Another good looker similar to C Leetzi
      Hapalopus sp. Colombia - Again, I prefer C Leetzi
      Theraphosa Blondi - Pro: biggest spider ever!, Con: biggest spider ever...
      Phormictopus sp. - Purple T sounds great, can't find any for sale
      Psalmopoeus Irminia - Great looks but too mean
      Poecilotheria Metallica - Pokeys are mean and expensive
      Sahydroaraneus Raja - Awesome iridescence, but $$$

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Homestead View Post
      The features I'm looking for are attractiveness, displayability / personality (pet holes bore me), and to a lesser degree temperament. I don't plan to handle any of these, but I'd rather not have a demon on my hands if unforeseen circumstances become seen. Also, I plan to get a few of whatever I get so I can try my hand at breeding when they mature. So without any further ado, here's my short-list of Ts:
      • Aphonopelma chalcodes is also on my wishlist, but they are slow growers, so try to find a juvenile or larger. (Pinchers & Pokies had one that I had been eyeing, but I guess they sold it.)
      • Bumba cabocla is a neat species, but a lot of people describe it as a pet hole.
      • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is good if you want something that is colorful, on display, and has a good feeding response. (I bought mine from Pinchers & Pokies.)
      • Cyriocosmus leetzi: Dwarf species tend to be more skittish, but if that doesn't bother you, this sounds like a pretty cool tarantula.
      • Euathlus "red" has a reputation for being docile and easy to keep. However, they are slow growers.
      • Grammostola pulchra: I love these; one is never really enough! However, they are slow growers.

FYI, when writing binomials, the genus is capitalized, but the species is not.
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ungoliant For This Useful Post:

CrimsonDraggen (03-15-2017), Homestead (03-15-2017)

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanks for the in depth response! I hadn't read that about the B cabocla, seems I've got some more research to do there.

I appreciate the polite correction on binomials, too

Exploring!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Josh
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      My vote is for the C. cyaneopubescens! I love them, pretty at all stages, not crazy expensive, and extremely easy to care for!
      ~The Ginger On Here~
      If you have a Facebook, add me on there!
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
      on here too!

Go look at my pretty pictures at

Rule 1: NEVER enough bugs!

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      What are your thoughts on these prices?

1/4" E sp "red" - $25
      3/4" C cyaneo - $35
      1/2" C leetzi - $40
      1" G pulchra - "50

The only one looking like a deal to me is the E sp red, while the rest seem about market average. But I only know what the market looks like right now, not what it normally is.

Exploring!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Josh
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I think that is a good price, I am mainly going off of the cyano tho
      ~The Ginger On Here~
      If you have a Facebook, add me on there!

Check out
      on here too!

Go look at my pretty pictures at

Rule 1: NEVER enough bugs!

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Thanks
      I love the dwarfs, especially Cyriocosmus, but you very rarely see them. They are opportunist burrowers and are very rarely seen. Of the five dwarf species that I have, I don't consider Euathlus (Homoeomma) to be dwarf - just small, the Cyriocosmus elegans, and next the C.perezmilesi are the ones that I see the most. I never, ever, see my C.leetzi... they are the most pet hole out of the lot. The Kochiana brunnipes are also pet holes.
      Cyriocosmus are fast and skittish - along with the Chomatopelma. They are very fast and skittish.

Aphonopelma Chalcodes - Awesome and my girl is loved a great deal. Like others have suggested - get a juvenile or larger. Painfully slow growing.
      Bumba Cabocla - I've never had any.
      Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - Fast and skittish. Mine have a terrible feeding response and are very finicky. I might get in trouble for this, but I have two adult females and they are the least favourite of all of mine.
      Cyriocosmus Leetzi - Obligate burrower and mine is a pet hole.
      Euathlus sp. red - I have four in different sizes. Love them to death! Painfully slow growing and fast for a long time before moulting.
      Grammostola Pulchra - My favourite species of all time and one of the first tarantulas I ever had.

Others that I would recommend...
      Euathlus parvulus - Awesome tarantula! Great looking, even as spiderlings. Not painfully slow growing, but not fast either. Always out and about unless they have barricaded themselves in to moult. I have two and wish I had many more.
      Eupalaestrus campestratus - Mine burrows, but will hopefully grow out of that.
      Aphonopelma seemanni - love my new juvenile female.
      Grammostola pulchripes - Medium grower, gorgeous, mine have never refused a meal unless in pre-moult. Grow to be about 8".

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArachnoVegan For This Useful Post:

Homestead (03-16-2017), Ungoliant (03-16-2017)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      If I might suggest N. coloratovilosus, and A. geniculata for your list as they are beautiful and wonderful display T's as they are most often out and about
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Homestead View Post
      What are your thoughts on these prices?
      They're fair.

I don't even mind paying a bit extra if I know the animal is being well cared for (as opposed to the absolute bottom-dollar for something that is not as well cared for).
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ungoliant For This Useful Post:

ArachnoVegan (03-16-2017)