I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks

P rufilata, no appetite...

Hey again! Sorry I haven't been around in ages, life has been taking its toll... A tale for another time though! My P rufilata has stopped eating!

My dear "Hulk" is... About 1.5 years old? They're getting big, but have decided to completely stop eating... I expected a loss of apetite over the winter, so a molt before Christmas meant no holiday dinner, but I don't think they've eaten since... I started giving them roaches again around mid Jan, but then discovered all the roaches were still wandering around the tank... I collected 4 or 5 after the discovery, and one remained for a few more days, as I wasn't able to reach it, but did collect about a week later.

I've been watching them more closely since, but they haven't wanted food. They're super skittish, with a rather small bum now. My other Ts have begun to get their spring appetites back, (while others never lost their appetites at all) so I'm not sure what's up.

I've thought about putting into a new enclosure, as it is getting cramped, but I'm afraid a new environment might actually be too stressful after going so long without food.

Thanks in advance!
      -Grace

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,286 Posts
      H'mmm... what is the temp in their habitats? I frequently lightly flood my pokies habitats and that seems to help their appetites. I have an adult female regalis that was sick for 2 molts in a row, eating only twice during that time, I surely thought I would lose her but, she made it through somehow! Hope this helps...keep us up to date.
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,757 Times in 2,707 Posts
      Hey Gracerain, it's good to hear from you. I'm sorry that you're having trouble with you P. rufilata's. This is personal to me because this is my favorite species of tarantula. I feel your pain. Ranch ask how long they have gone without eating. How long have the fasted? I ask because the adult female that I used to have would fast from time to time. The duration of the fast might mean all the difference between, "Awe, don't worry about it" and "Woe! You need to act".
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      I haven't been able to confirm a feeding since I think late December. It's possible that they have eaten since then, but I'm not sure, since I haven't witnessed it, and lost count of feedings before noticing her tank was full of uneaten, wandering food.

The house has mainly stayed between 60 and 70 degrees during that time, though being in the laundry room, it sometimes gets warmer.

I will happily soak the tank, if it will help at all. I did see her out of her hide last night, but she bolted after I added water to her dish.

If should have checked to see if they were hungry, before adding water, but all my past checks lately have been a "no". (I blow gently into an air hole, and see if they run or try to eat my face.. )

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Gracerain View Post
      I haven't been able to confirm a feeding since I think late December. It's possible that they have eaten since then, but I'm not sure, since I haven't witnessed it, and lost count of feedings before noticing her tank was full of uneaten, wandering food.

The house has mainly stayed between 60 and 70 degrees during that time, though being in the laundry room, it sometimes gets warmer.

I will happily soak the tank, if it will help at all. I did see her out of her hide last night, but she bolted after I added water to her dish.

If should have checked to see if they were hungry, before adding water, but all my past checks lately have been a "no". (I blow gently into an air hole, and see if they run or try to eat my face.. )
      Too funny Gracerain.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      It's a good check though! LOL!

Last night my P rufilata just sat there, then ran when I soaked the sub of the tank. Not running before that seemed like an improvement though... My other Ts like my air-check though. :-p About half of them regularly charge, ready to kill something, while the other half throw up a threat display. If they run, well, I guess they aren't that hungry...

It's how I like to make sure they're ready to eat after molting, or preparing to molt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracerain For This Useful Post:

J!m (04-12-2017)

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      That's an excellent method.

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      I put a smaller, injured cockroach into her tank a few days ago, and it's still wandering around today... I'm wondering if going back to crickets will help?