Adding to my T wish list!!!

I am:
      Wicked

Real (nick)name
      Allie
      Tarantulas

Thanks

Breeding mixed T's

Hey guys, I remember hearing something once about making sure to breed tarantulas only to their same type, like only L.p. to L.p.....etc. I'm wondering why? What if you breed an N. chromatus to N. tripeppi or colorvillosus. Or if you bred L.p to L.d. Why can't you do that or even something like B.albop to P.regalis. Is it ok to breed new worlds to other new worlds and old to other old? Or terrestrial to terrestrial? Etc! What's the rule of thumb here and why?

***I haven't bred any tarantulas yet at all. I don't intend any of the above either. Just curious so I am educated about the why's. Thanks!!!

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Lishka View Post
      Hey guys, I remember hearing something once about making sure to breed tarantulas only to their same type, like only L.p. to L.p.....etc. I'm wondering why? . . . What's the rule of thumb here and why?
      Unlike dog breeds, which are all just manmade variations of the same species, tarantulas come in different species, and interbreeding them creates hybrids that are unlikely to occur in nature.

Deliberately creating hybrids is strongly discouraged, because it ultimately muddies tarantula bloodlines.

Even if a breeder is honest and labels the offspring as hybrids, there is no guarantee that all subsequent owners will continue to do so. Eventually, they will be labeled as regular members of one species (probably the more expensive one). Because hybrid tarantulas aren't necessarily infertile, their mixed bloodlines can continue to be propagated by dishonest or ignorant breeders. Before you know it, you have a bunch of "Brachypelma vagans" that aren't really Brachypelma vagans.

There are many beautiful and interesting species of tarantula available to the hobby; there's no need to add deliberate hybrids to the ones that are accidentally created by ignorant breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lishka View Post
      Why can't you do that or even something like B.albop to P.regalis. Is it ok to breed new worlds to other new worlds and old to other old? Or terrestrial to terrestrial? Etc! What's the rule of thumb here and why?
      To answer your question on a practical level, the more distantly related two species are, the less likely they are to be able to interbreed. It's generally two species of the same genus that have the best chance of interbreeding. So while you may be able to cross a Brachypelma boehmei with a Brachypelma emilia, it's unlikely that a Brachypelma would interbreed with an Avicularia or Psalmopoeus.
      Last edited by Ungoliant; 06-15-2017 at 10:01 PM.
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ungoliant For This Useful Post:

J!m (06-15-2017), Lishka (06-22-2017), Tgirl1010 (06-18-2017)

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,745 Times in 2,695 Posts
      The issue is the purity of each species. The world of tarantulas is so endangered that the idea of mixing species and mudding up the waters like that is just immoral. It is our job as T. keepers to protect and preserve the purity of each species of tarantula. IMHO

J!m steps down off of his soapbox.

And steps back on.

Don't do it! Please! Don't do it!

"I am what I am and that's all what I am."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J!m For This Useful Post:

Lishka (06-22-2017), ManlyMan7 (06-19-2017), Tgirl1010 (06-18-2017)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,369 Times in 3,106 Posts
      Lishka, you are welcome to inquire here. So thanks for asking.

I know some places online where you will get flamed for even asking, but our aim here is to provide a safe place to ask questions. There is no harm in asking.

That said, this has been a very hot topic at times, and sometimes, it is necessary to carefully watch such threads to keep them from getting out of hand with people's opinions. Please know that it is fine to ask such questions, but that it is a topic that has a history of getting out of hand.

I think Ungoliant said it very well, so I don't want to repeat what she has said.

I will say that this gets tricky when you have some species in the hobby that new papers come out lumping them together, yet breeders still want to keep them separate. An example that comes to mind is the paper a few years ago lumping Acanthoscurria geniculata and Acanthoscurria brocklehursti into the same species (A. geniculata). So where the two species are now considered one, is it wrong to interbreed the two? Some people get very worked up about that, and it isn't so easy to sort out.

And to add to what she said, I will add that a big reason to keep the species differentiated in the hobby is that they are not always readily available in the wild. Some countries put export bans on their wildlife which limits or eliminates access to "pure" bloodlines from the wild. And there are CITES II international laws that prevent or limit the sale or importation of such protected species as well. So in many cases, it may not be possible to "restock" the hobby with "pure" bloodlines from the wild.

I think these are good and valid reasons, and have no intention to challenge them. But like you, I do have questions that linger. There is a lot of interbreeding that goes on in the fish and reptile hobbies. Do these represent hybridizations across species lines? I don't really know enough to know just how the tarantula hobby is so different from these others.

Do tarantulas interbreed in the wild? I do know that they inbreed far more than we realize (I have read how pokies are quite communal in the wild, and as such, inbreed a lot).

These are just curiosities I have that will not affect my commitment to avoid hybridizing Ts.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

Lishka (06-22-2017)

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Sorry Lishka, ... I didn't mean to sound so harsh in my answer. Ungoliant and Manlyman said it well and I share their views. Like Manly said, it's a "Hot Button" subject and it's easy to over-react to it. That's what I did and I apologize.

Friends?

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to J!m For This Useful Post:

Lishka (06-22-2017)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,369 Times in 3,106 Posts
      No J!m, you didn't. You were fine.

Just DON'T DO IT AGAIN!! DON'T DO IT J!M, JUST DON'T DO IT!

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

Lishka (06-23-2017)

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to J!m For This Useful Post:

Lishka (06-23-2017)

I am:
      Wicked

Real (nick)name
      Allie
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      It's cool Jim, I didn't feel like you were being harsh, just passionate about the T bloodlines!! That's a good thing to be passionate about. Hugs!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lishka For This Useful Post:

J!m (06-22-2017)

I am:
      Wicked

Real (nick)name
      Allie
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I used to breed rabbits. I was into Jersey Woolies. We as woolly breeders were trying to make red woolies so we bred a wooly to a triantra. The process was to keep breeding till the triantra was bred out except the color. Then breed more and more reds to get the perfect body type. I was close to a good color when I had to get out of the hobby. So my thought was how pretty it would be to breed something like an albop to a metallica to get that color! BUT, I knew there were great reasons not to breed mixed Ts. So I wanted to know all the reasons. Thanks everyone for the info. And no, I won't interbreed. I'm committed to keeping the breeding pure. And now, I am informed and can share the why's with other people!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lishka For This Useful Post:

J!m (06-22-2017)

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks