between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts

We Adopted a Dog!

So a couple weeks ago, a German Shepherd showed up in our yard one night. But she was unapproachable, and when I tried to get near to her, she hobbled down the school yard fence line across the street.

The next morning, a couple teachers came out to see if they could help this dog, and when I came up to them, they had coaxed her to them with some food. We noticed that she had two broken toes and was very famished. We also noticed that she had had puppies earlier this year, but didn't have milk presently.

But she would not budge from her spot on someone's front lawn. One of the teachers just lived a lot or two over and was trying to get her into her back yard (fenced in for her two big dogs) but this dog would not budge. Then a vet tech came up and helped pick her up and move her into the yard. She would be taken to the vet later that day and to a new home.

When I helped comfort the dog as they picked her up, she looked at me with those sad, brown, German Shepherd eyes and my heart melted. She stole my heart.

Back up here. 26 years ago, I as starting college and complaining to my mom that I missed their full-bred German Shepherd, and my mom told me that if I would finish college, she would get me my own Shepherd. Through the years, I mostly rented and was never in a position where I could get one. But in the last two years, we have been in our own house in a good place for a dog, but I wasn't quite sure if I wanted one.

And now this one was in my front yard. And as I prayed about it a day or so later, a peace came over me that this was "my dog".

Still, I spent a week trying to get in touch with the teacher who took her in to find out what happened to the dog. Finally found out that she had been sent to the pound. The pound said she was not ready for adoption yet, but to check back every now and then.

This past week, on Wednesday, I had been in an electrical shop to buy a programmable light switch for my T room (the one I first installed is not LED compatible, so the dimmer doesn't work right), and I promptly paid for it and walked out of the shop without the device! I discover this after I got home and had to drive back 30 minutes into town on Thursday.

Once there, I decided to swing by the pound to see what the adoption application looked like, only to have them tell me she was now up for adoption! GULP! I need to act on this now! They brought her out (after 20 minutes of coaxing, they had to pick her up and carry her out to me. But by the end of the visit, she was practically crawling into my lap!

Long and short, I brought her home and she has been settling in for the last 3 days with little issue. She is definitely attached to me and goes frantic when she sees me in the morning.

This dog doesn't seem to have been abused, and has not apparently been in a house as she has been very very skittish about being inside. She barely stands on the white linoleum, and only when picked up and placed on it), and treats it like she were standing on ice. But she also has not had any accidents in the house in three days. Not like training a puppy. This girl can hold it!

She has ripped the metal gate off her kennel, so I am not sure how to confine her if we need too. But she has taken to her day bed immediately.

She is an absolute sweetheart though!

I am smitten!

Meet Brea!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171012_170941#1 Wtrmk sm.jpg   20171013_082815#1 Wtrmk sm.jpg   20171013_145718 Wtrmk sm.jpg   20171014_055839 Wtrmk sm.jpg   20171015_081641 Wtrmk sm.jpg   20171015_083358 Wtrmk sm.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      She looks like a real sweetheart Scott. I grew up with German Shepherds.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J!m For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (10-15-2017)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      She is J!m. And settling in nicely
      She has been sleeping a lot today. I think she finally is able to relax and her body is crashing from all the stress she has been under lately.

And how heart-warming it is when I return from somewhere and she frantically greets me with wines and wimpers, burying her head in my lap.

She stole my heart and I have won hers.

What could be better than a rescue German Shepherd? She is super grateful intelligent, and beautiful.
      Last edited by J!m; 10-16-2017 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      She is beautiful! I love German Shepherds. What a great gift for you and her to have found one another. Keep us updated on her. I bet she will get used to walking on the linoleum before long. I do agree that it seems as if she isn’t used to being inside. Congratulations on your new family member!

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      What an incredible feel good story come true! She is very beautiful and very blessed to have a family like yours to call her own now ManlyMan7 .
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (10-17-2017)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      =D
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171016_083223.jpg  

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      Love it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (10-18-2017)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Settling right in
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (10-18-2017)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Yes she is. But she does get anxious when I leave. I stepped out yesterday to help a neighbor load an old mattress into their SUV for us (to take to the dump), and no one else was around. I could hear her howling in the house.

My wife says that while I was gone this evening, she would come sit in front of my wife and not just whimper and whine, but full-out howl. And the frantic whimpers and whines when I come home are crazy too. I actually love this from German Shepherds.

She is definitely my dog. But I have to admit, this is been my goal. She fell asleep in my oldest son's lap this evening, and wouldn't even open her eyes to look at me, but the moment I got up to go upstairs, she shot up by me.

I have to admit, I am eating it up right now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171016_144922 Wtrmk sm.jpg   20171016_202053 Wtrmk sm.jpg  

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Unconditional love is additive

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

Tgirl1010 (10-20-2017)