between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts

Last Summer's Eclipse

WELL! I can't believe I never posted anything here of my experience with the eclipse last summer!

Let me just say it was the most incredible natural phenomenon I have ever witnessed. I have seen many a partial eclipse, and even an annular eclipse, but they are nothing compared to the moment the sun completely disappears behind the Moon. Then you are left with this eerie, other-worldly glowing black hole in the sky.

Not only was it amazing to witness, but incredible how it all came together. I knew of this eclipse since I was a child (10ish?), so I have been waiting some 35 years to see it. The last 5 years, I have watched it approach and planned to come down to see it. The path of totality was about an hour and a half north of my parent's place in N. GA, so getting to the area wasn't going to be hard. finding a place in that 70-mile wide path shouldn't be so bad, right? Not knowing anyone in the area, I figured I would drive until I found a country road where I could pull over and watch it with the wife and kids.

Then, back in July, my aunt emailed me to invite me to join the family at the Airstream park she is a member of for a Manly Eclipse Party. Cool, but how good a place is this? I started researching and discovered they were a mere 4 miles from the very center of the path of totality! Keep in mind that at the very edge of that 70-mile wide path, totality would only last about a second, but at the center, it would be 2 min and 40 seconds. At the family gathering site, we would be 1 second off of max!

In the 35 years of waiting for this event, I never imagined I would get to watch this with my family (wife, kids, parents, a sister, aunt, and many cousins).

And the weather? Many people chose to watch this in the Western US to better their chances of clear skies. The East had more likelihood of clouds to blot out the event. Indeed, we were near Crossville, TN, and we found out the next day that just a couple hours West, in Nashville, some 8,000 people were gathered at the Science Center to watch this event. Seconds before totality, the clouds rolled in and the city missed totality entirely.

We had clouds, but rather than get in the way, they added to my photography.

Oh! And the photography! In my preparations, I bought an expensive filter for my camera that turned out to be the wrong thing for it. I realized this the week before as I discussed this with my cousin's husband (who happens to have the same camera and lens I do). He had bought some mirrored mylar film to use over his lens hood. Cheap and easy and effective. But at less than a week before the event, it was too late for me to grab the same.

But upon arriving at the Airstream park, I discovered my aunt had grabbed enough viewing glasses for each family member (25) to get 2! And my cousin's husband had extra film he let me have!

Here are a few pictures I took of the event.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0990a Partial Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1019a Getting Close Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1037a Totality Corona Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1042a Totality Prominence Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1050a Totality Corona Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1053a Totality dark Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1058a Totality prominence Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1061a Diamond Ring Wtrmk sm.jpg   IMG_1070a Diamond Ring Wtrmk sm.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      As we set up for the eclipse, my I decided I would video the onset of totality and get photos later.

The onset is the most thrilling, and you get a sense of the excitement in the video.

And as far as photos go, exiting totality works just as good as entering it.

It worked.

Here is my video:

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      We are in the path of totality also. It was an amazing thing to witness for sure!

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      AWESOME!
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      Stunning to say the least! Thank you for sharing ManlyMan7! Vid and photos are spectacular!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Great shots!

Sadly, even though I live within the path of the totality, clouds obscured most of the eclipse. (It was raining during the totality, so it just looked similar to an overcast sky beneath a full moon.)

I want to travel to see the next total solar eclipse (in the U.S.) on April 8, 2024.
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tarantula Shaver

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Real (nick)name
      KJ
      Tarantulas
      about 100

Thanks
      Great shots and video! Here in Missouri, I was very close to the line of maximum totality. It was cloudy, but seemed to clear up just in time. And I swear, no matter how good the pictures I see, they are never even close to what I saw with my own eyes. The corona was amazing!!!

Thanks for taking me back to that day.

The next Eclipse is going to be amazing, with an even longer totality.
      -KJ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheVez2 For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (01-14-2018)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I couldn't agree more KJ. I remember looking up at this hole in the sky with a brilliantly streaming halo around it thinking how unreal it looked.

It was truly the most exciting and amazing natural phenomenon I have ever witnessed. Well worth the 35-year wait.

And to watch this as a family event was incredible. My wife and kids, my parents and a sister, my aunt, and many cousins. It was an event of a lifetime.

But how quickly totality was over!

Still, when my cousin's husband and I began pouring over the RAW images on our cameras, we were like school children in a candy store. We got what we were after and couldn't believe it.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Some shots of the family eclipse party.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170821_125710 sm.jpg   20170821_130132 sm.jpg   20170821_130142 sm.jpg   20934725_1752336968392058_1906741275176164788_o sm.jpg   20170821_125101 sm.jpg   20988970_1752336431725445_3225319507530881015_o sm.jpg   20988354_1752336748392080_1831496475524988260_o sm.jpg   21013956_1752337015058720_2081727952942236184_o sm.jpg   20935064_1752336975058724_8566488283934442144_o sm.jpg   20170821_130925 sm.jpg  

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      And some more...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21013854_1752336408392114_8211840266785652832_o sm.jpg   21055027_1752336351725453_7523815010449899950_o sm.jpg   IMG_7457 sm.jpg   20170821_125400 sm.jpg   _MG_7510 sm.jpg   IMG_5056 sm.jpg   IMG_5032 sm.jpg   21083197_1752337115058710_3410189420404458037_o sm.jpg   _MG_7521 sm.jpg   20170821_141800 sm.jpg