• Crappy
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why scientific names?

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

TConfused Why scientific names?

why do people refer to their Ts with their scientific names for the most part? This may be a stupid question but I'm just curious and never knew why ☺️

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xSicSolx View Post
      why do people refer to their Ts with their scientific names for the most part? This may be a stupid question but I'm just curious and never knew why ☺️
      Scientific names are unambiguous. Common names, on the other hand, are often not. There is no one official common name for a species, so people are free to make up their own names (often for marketing reasons), and this creates ambiguity.

For example, there are 12+ species of pinktoe. Names like "stripe knee" can refer to several different species. There are many variations of red/orange/fire leg/knee/rump names (typically used for species of Brachypelma).

Moreover, a single species may have several common names. For example, Eupalaestrus campestratus has been marketed as the pink zebra beauty, the Paraguayan pink, the common yellow banded stout-hind legged birdeater, and the giant stripe leg.

Additionally, scientific names transcend language barriers, as the scientific community agrees on a single name for a single species to be used by speakers of all languages.

So why does precision matter? First, you want to know what you are really buying, as different species have different market values, care requirements, venom potencies, and temperaments.

Second, when breeding tarantulas, you want to make sure the two tarantulas are actually the same species, so you don't inadvertently create hybrids or risk putting two incompatible tarantulas in the same enclosure (where they will see each other as threats and not mates).
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ungoliant For This Useful Post:

Tgirl1010 (03-04-2018)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      Yup. That about says it all.

Thanks Ungoliant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Ah ok, that makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain, much appreciated!

Tarantula Shaver

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Real (nick)name
      KJ
      Tarantulas
      about 100

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliant View Post
      Scientific names are unambiguous.
      Mostly, LOL. How long are we going to see B. hamorii sold as B. smithi?
      -KJ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheVez2 For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (03-05-2018)

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by TheVez2 View Post
      Mostly, LOL. How long are we going to see B. hamorii sold as B. smithi?
      As long as it takes stubborn people to accept the new classification!
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ungoliant For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (03-05-2018)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      The convention is unambiguous. It's the people choosing to ignore the updates that makes things ambiguous.

I gotta admit, I still catch myself calling a few Ts by their old names. Avic versicolor for example.

And I guess some of my Mexican Red-knees still think they are smithis rather than hamoriis. I should change their labels soon, eh?

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Tarantula Shaver

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Real (nick)name
      KJ
      Tarantulas
      about 100

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliant View Post
      As long as it takes stubborn people to accept the new classification!
      I'm mainly referring to pet stores. It's not stubbornness necessarily, but they are just uninformed. Then they pass on that info to new keepers. It's going to take many, many years before everyone is on the same page.
      -KJ

S'ling

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ManlyMan7 View Post
      The convention is unambiguous. It's the people choosing to ignore the updates that makes things ambiguous.

I gotta admit, I still catch myself calling a few Ts by their old names. Avic versicolor for example.

And I guess some of my Mexican Red-knees still think they are smithis rather than hamoriis. I should change their labels soon, eh?

Hi there. I donít ever post, but I need help sexing one of my tarantulas and so I am searching for viable post material to hit the 5 post minimum count.

Iím interested to know more about the versicolor reclassification. Do you have any additional information? These are one of my favorites, and I think the first tarantula Iíve ever owned. What is the new Latin, and do you know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by RawrSean View Post
      Hi there. I don’t ever post, but I need help sexing one of my tarantulas and so I am searching for viable post material to hit the 5 post minimum count.

I’m interested to know more about the versicolor reclassification. Do you have any additional information? These are one of my favorites, and I think the first tarantula I’ve ever owned. What is the new Latin, and do you know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Welcome RawrSean. Glad to see you here.

As for the name revision for Avicularia versicolor, it is now Caribena versicolor.

I will be looking for your sexing post. I hope we can help.