• Crappy

Thread: Which enclosure to use?

S'ling

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

Which enclosure to use?

I was just starting research on keeping tarantulas and a juvenile Arizona Blonde wandered into my son's (he's 24) room. He vacuumed it into a small canister vac apparently without injury and I now have it in a critter cage with some Arizona dirt thrown in it with a water dish. It appears to be female and torso is about 1.5 inches long. I have a 2.5 and a 5 gallon aquarium in my storeroom to convert into terrariums. I do plan on displaying it in my aquarium rack with my 5 gal betta tanks and the 75 gal tank on top.

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Greylock View Post
      I have a 2.5 and a 5 gallon aquarium in my storeroom to convert into terrariums. I do plan on displaying it in my aquarium rack with my 5 gal betta tanks and the 75 gal tank on top.
      What are the dimensions of the aquariums?

For terrestrial tarantulas like Aphonopelma chalcodes, you want something low-profile, where there is no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span in vertical space (the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid). This is because bulky terrestrial tarantulas are vulnerable to falls; even a fall of just a few inches could fatally rupture the abdomen under the worst circumstances.

Standard aquariums require a lot of substrate to make the height safe. Therefore, they aren't as commonly used by experienced keepers.

For a tarantula of that size, something like the small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5") is perfect. I use these for all of my juvenile terrestrials and mature dwarf terrestrials.

Just fill it with a few inches of substrate and half-bury a slab of cork. If your tarantula wants to dig, it will excavate under the cork. Include a low-profile water dish. (Don't worry; tarantulas won't drown.)
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts
      a 5 gal. tank wil be fine. i keep most all my T's in somewhat smallish tanks, i find they do better at least for me.
      i keep T's that are much larger then the Arizona Blonde's in less then a 5 gal container.
      i you wanted to do a vivarium type ste up you could go to a much larger tank but the T really would not benifet as much as youu would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.