• Crappy
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Toe - webbing / eating

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

Pink Toe - webbing / eating

I got a pink toe Juvie and itís cocooned herself in the top of the enclosure. She had been consistently eating, but last week we put a cricket in the tiny hole available in the webbing and she wouldnít eat it ó even to the point of the thing crawling under her and touching her, etc. Eventually it got out, and I removed it thinking she may be in pre-molt.
      My question - do I attempt feeding her again, or just hold off? I donít want her to starve. . Iíve had other Tís but none that completely walled themselves off with webbing so I want to make sure I do it right.
      Thanks!

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Hi Patrick. Your pinktoe sounds perfectly normal. Yes, it is quite standard for them to eat until one day, they refuse, especially if their rump is getting quite big.

You might try another cricket in a week or two, but don't push it. If she refused then I would leave her alone until she molts.

I wouldn't worry about them starving. A tarantula's rump will shrink down to quite a bit smaller than their head before they are starving. And that can take quite a long time. G. rosea's are known for going on year-long voluntary fasts for no apparent reason, and looking none the skinnier as a result (mine has done that before). I know a pinktoe is not a rosea, but the point is that tarantulas will do just fine missing a few meals, even for a few months.

How big is your pinktoe?

And what other Ts have you had?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      I appreciate it! It’s about 2” or so right now.
      I’ve had a P regalis, Chaco golden knee, Brazilian pink toe and avic versicolor. .

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      As a follow up - it did molt. She/he is out and came out of the web, but has been curled up in a tight ball on the wall of the enclosure and is just sort of huddled there. Not dead - but haven’t seen that behavior from any other T either. Is that normal? She’ll move if I gently prod her (which I did once) but other than that I’m leaving her alone. Any idea why she’d be doing that?

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      still sounds quite normal for a pinktoe.

Just leave her be for at least a week before trying to feed her.
      I have had a couple of incidents where a cricket in the cage stressed the newly molted T out, and it died.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Appreciate it. It’s curled up with it’s legs under it and I’d think it was a death curl other than the fact that it’s not on the ground, but on the side of the enclosure. Occasionally she’s moved, but still curled up. Definitely going to wait to feed her anyway, just hadn’t seen that before. Appreciate it!

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      You could try to mist her with some water.

If you can post some pics of her, it will help me see better what is going on.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB92E0E9-D0A8-4436-9A03-CFC70529989D.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	67341Click image for larger version. 

ID:	67341Not loving this. She’s been like this for 2-3 days. Had been up top near her web. Now on the floor (misted her this AM). I gently touched her with a brush and she still moves, just keeps going back to this position
      Now I’m worried. ��Click image for larger version. 

ID:	67341

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      OK. That does seem troubling, especially if she has fallen to the floor.

If she is still showing some signs of life, the only thing I know that you could do (which is no guarantee of help) is gently roll her over into her back, then place a large drop of water on her fangs. If she drinks that down over the course of 15-20 minutes, give her another.

If she is dehydrated, this will help that.

If it is something else, I don't know anything else to offer.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      I appreciate it man. I’m not thinking it’s going to work. I’ve never lost one before - kind of sad. Thanks for all the help