• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello/Crickets

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks

TConfused Hello/Crickets

Hello all, I'd like to apologize for having been gone for so long. But I do not have access to the Internet at home. I'll try and do better in the future, but if I "disappear" it's because I can't get online.

I have a good question, as we know stores like PetCo and Petsmart are known for gut loading their crickets for the lizard/reptile keepers. IF one "has" to buy their crickets from a nationwide retail chain store. How long does it take to "ungut load" them?
      Digital Cowboy

1.0.0 Normal Grey Cockatiel (Hikaru)
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
      0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
      0.0.3 Neon Tetras
      1.0.0 Red Betta
      0.0.? Snails
      1.2.0 Swordtail
      2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
      0.0.3 Zebra's
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

0.1.0 Orange Tabby Kitten (Little One)
      0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
      Live Long and Prosper

The fish are spread out between several tanks.

Deceased:

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Hmm. Good question. I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully someone else does.

Not sure the gut-loading is going to be that much of an issue to worry about.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ManlyMan7 View Post
      Hmm. Good question. I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully someone else does.

Not sure the gut-loading is going to be that much of an issue to worry about.
      I think that it'd be interesting to find out.

What about those T owners who've lost their T's while molting after feeding them a steady diet of gut loaded crickets, particularly those that have been dusted with extra calcium.
      Digital Cowboy

0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
      0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
      0.0.3 Neon Tetras
      1.0.0 Red Betta
      0.0.? Snails
      1.2.0 Swordtail
      2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
      0.0.3 Zebra's

0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
      Live Long and Prosper

Deceased:

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy View Post
      I think that it'd be interesting to find out.

What about those T owners who've lost their T's while molting after feeding them a steady diet of gut loaded crickets, particularly those that have been dusted with extra calcium.
      Indeed. What about them? I am not aware of many stories along those lines. Actually, I have never heard them before. And so my mind wonders with such stories of they are a matter of coincidence, or if there is a number of cases that would add up to a decent correlation.

I recently had someone scold me for even opening the lid of a molting Ts tank AND talking while it was molting, saying I was going to stress the T out and cause it to get stuck in its molt.

I told them i have had hundreds of times of doing this and never once had a T get stuck in its molt.

They replied, saying they had it happen once to their GBB.

Once is anecdotal and not enough to establish a scientific correlation. I am sorry it happened to them, but based on my experience, it was merely coincidental.

So back to the gut-loaded feeders and bad molt you were saying, is this coincidental, or does this happen enough to see a pattern?

I would love to know.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I have a good question, as we know stores like PetCo and Petsmart are known for gut loading their crickets for the lizard/reptile keepers. IF one "has" to buy their crickets from a nationwide retail chain store. How long does it take to "ungut load" them?
      I don't think the feeding regimens of pet store crickets is a threat to tarantulas. (Many owners have successfully raised their tarantulas on nothing but pet store crickets.)

That being said, pet store crickets are expensive, so if you want a large quantity, you may be better off ordering or buying at an exotic pet show.
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

My mood is an understatement

I am:
      Energetic

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I don't really think there are molting issues when feeding off pet store crickets, only issue is crickets are annoying and stink on top of being inferior to superworms and mealworms.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ManlyMan7 View Post
      Indeed. What about them? I am not aware of many stories along those lines. Actually, I have never heard them before. And so my mind wonders with such stories of they are a matter of coincidence, or if there is a number of cases that would add up to a decent correlation.

I recently had someone scold me for even opening the lid of a molting Ts tank AND talking while it was molting, saying I was going to stress the T out and cause it to get stuck in its molt.

I told them i have had hundreds of times of doing this and never once had a T get stuck in its molt.

They replied, saying they had it happen once to their GBB.

Once is anecdotal and not enough to establish a scientific correlation. I am sorry it happened to them, but based on my experience, it was merely coincidental.

So back to the gut-loaded feeders and bad molt you were saying, is this coincidental, or does this happen enough to see a pattern?

I would love to know.
      I could have sworn that it was this forum that I'd read about it. Maybe it was one of the tarantula forums on Yahoo where I'd read about it happening.

And how would molting in the wild not be a stressful time?
      Digital Cowboy

0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
      0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
      0.0.3 Neon Tetras
      1.0.0 Red Betta
      0.0.? Snails
      1.2.0 Swordtail
      2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
      0.0.3 Zebra's

0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
      Live Long and Prosper

Deceased:

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliant View Post
      I don't think the feeding regimens of pet store crickets is a threat to tarantulas. (Many owners have successfully raised their tarantulas on nothing but pet store crickets.)

That being said, pet store crickets are expensive, so if you want a large quantity, you may be better off ordering or buying at an exotic pet show.
      I'm not talking about pet stores in general, but rather the nationwide chains like PetCo and Petsmart. Where I live there is a locally owned and operated that prides itself on it's natural selections. And to the best of my knowledge, possibly becuase they sell a number of arachnids, they do not "gut-load" their crickets. I'm also pretty sure that they use plain water instead of Cricket Quencher. I say that because I have never seen that particular product for sale there.
      Digital Cowboy

0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
      0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
      0.0.3 Neon Tetras
      1.0.0 Red Betta
      0.0.? Snails
      1.2.0 Swordtail
      2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
      0.0.3 Zebra's

0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
      Live Long and Prosper

Deceased:

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I'm not talking about pet stores in general, but rather the nationwide chains like PetCo and Petsmart.
      I stand by my statement.
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliant View Post
      I stand by my statement.
      And I don't buy my crickets from either store, I go to one of the locally owned and operated independent pet shops. My question was more for information, in case sometime I needed to purchase crickets from one of those stores.
      Digital Cowboy

0.0.2 Albino Cory Cats
      0.0.? Ghost Shrimp
      0.0.3 Neon Tetras
      1.0.0 Red Betta
      0.0.? Snails
      1.2.0 Swordtail
      2.10.0 Swordtail (fry)
      0.0.3 Zebra's

0.0.1 2009 Giant Seek 2
      Live Long and Prosper

Deceased: