piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts

The Great Escapes & Strange Behavior Thread

Mallard had this great idea. Many of us have had a T. escape or have had a T. that acted in a most bizarre way. Share your stories and experiences with everyone here.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      Here's my favorite escape story.

I had a male Tapinauchenius gigas a few years ago. One night I fed him and stupidly left the lid unlatched (Yes I do stupid stuff sometimes). The next morning I went into the T. room to look at my spiders and I noticed the unlatched lid. I inspected the habitat and realized that he had escaped, Went missing, flew the coup, jumped to hyper-speed, ..... well you get the idea.

I searched everywhere with my trusty flashlight. And when I say everywhere, I mean no stone unturned. I searched for 2 days.

On the third day I decided to give up and do something else. Well, I had just bought two new toilets and they were sitting in the foyer which is 2 rooms away from the T. room waiting for me to install them.
      "That will get my mind off of him", I thought and I went and got a box-cutter to open the toilet boxes. (The boxes were completely sealed with tape)

So I went to the first box and cut the tape. After I cut the tape, I proceeded to open the 2 flaps and you'll never guess what I found (OK, you probably will). Wait for it, wait for it, ............ my male T. gigas. He was inside a sealed cardboard box with a toilet in it. I can't tell you how he did it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

No status right now.

I am:
      Sleepy

Tarantulas

Thanks
      That is a good idea.

Pillan-P irminia

When my first irminia Pillan was a Juvie of about 2 inches he almost had an escape while bring rehoused. He was my first real speedy tarantula and I was not as seasoned as I am now. When I touched him with the paintbrush he ran up my arm and into my shirt. I sat in the tub for about 15 minutes looking for him in my shirt and on my body...finally I found him...sitting in the corner of the tub.

When he was a penultimate male he escaped again, this time because I attempted to make my own lid for an enclosure and it turned out to be ill fitted. I didn't even know he was gone but when I was away at work my sister found him relaxing in the living room and caught him for me.

Orangutan-P pulcher

my P pulcher s'ling. I went to take some pictures of him and he shot out of his vial thinking that it was time for a high speed chase, after much ado and a near heart attack I caught him again.

Khan-P scrofa

While gravid I forgot to place a heavy book on top of her home. She pushed up the screen to escape. Thankfully the slow poke didn't go far. I found her under the shelving unit her habitat sits on.

Zetan-t plumipes

Escaped while I was photographing him...bolted like a bat out of somewhere and managed to poop all over my hand before I wrangled him back home.

Escape attempt: Peeled back the paper covering the vent holes in his delicup and tried to squeeze through one but got stuck at his abdomen...I had to very carefully cut away the lid around him, I was extremely nervous I would cut him. Luck was with both of us he escaped unscathed. Probably one of the most nerve wracking things I've done. He Tried to bite me for my valiant efforts but couldn't reach my because he was stuck. If I hadn't been scared for him it would have been hilarious.

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      OMG, that is so hilarious, J!m!!!!

I am so glad you found him, tho! Awesome how he found his way into a sealed box like that....

Now all he needed was a crown....

Thanks for sharing this!!!!!

JSI

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Smaughunter....

Your Zetan, my goodness, that was a close call!!!! I would have been so scared to try to get him out of that...

Did he struggle at all, once he was caught? I ask because he looks relaxed in the second pic. Like he knew you would help him...

Awesome experiences, and all ended well!

JSI

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

No status right now.

I am:
      Sleepy

Tarantulas

Thanks
      It was very scary! You can seen how tight the vent hole is squeezed around his opsithoma...I was terrified that I would cut and kill him. He did struggle some but thankfully not much. I think he had already struggled so much he was exhausted...which made it so much better...If he had been wiggling I would have cut him for sure.

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Geez, poor fella! Glad he has such a caring keeper!

JSI

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Glad it turned out ok!
      --->
      --->

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

creepy crawly

I am:
      Blah

Real (nick)name
      Marc
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Wow, great thread idea!

Thankfully, I have only had one bad escape, and one bit of 'strange behavior', and both incidents were started by rose hair T's... (Big shock there, right?)

Well, my dad and I have always been into older electronics, mechanical devices, phones, PC's ,etc. In many cases, the only items available are broken or are missing parts. So, my dad and I were usually trying to fix at least one item at any given time. I had Harry (first rosie, actually female) out, I was sitting on the floor with her for safety.... A VCR due to be fixed was in an adjacent room. Harry crawled down under my legs... and was suddenly GONE.
      Like J!M, I was looking everywhere for her.... Then dad and I came to the horrible realisation that VCR's have one-way doors... Now the way that old VCR's are built, if we would have disassembled it to look for Fuzzy, we would have injured her at the least. Before bed, my dad wedged a remote in the door.... Still not sure if she WAS in there.... She was missing for 2 days.... To make matters worse, I have oriental rugs in the house, with many being literally tarantula color... After I came home from work that day, I saw Harry sitting in plain sight in about the only place I could see her right away.... on a patch of hardwood floor that was too irregular for a rug. She was literally just waiting for me!

I am surprised that she wasn't tapping her foot impatiently.... LOL!

It seems that my current rose hair also has an odd fondness for electronics. I had her out one day, about 3 years ago. I was trying to fix a rather rare Amiga 'video server' (6 hard drives, multiple HD AV stream playback and recording simultaneously, and INSANELY complex) ...
      Again, I had Fuzzy on the floor for safety. I had just fit a high velocity Pabst fan in it, before getting Fuzzy out. Within less than 10 minutes, she had run from me... and I caught her crawling into the server between the blades of the case fan. Thankfully, I had taken out all screws from the case, as I removed it, I spotted her crawling between the Molex power cables.... I managed to rescue her as she started webbing on the video card, LOL!

"Don't you DARE web on that, young lady!!"

She also loves old turntables.... Check out my FB profile for pics of her being a true 'Dustbug' lol!

Beyond that... well, Brawny (LP) and Gabby (chaco) have a rather odd fondness for my hair.... "ack! sling in my hair!"

Official Tus.com 'Spider Spoiler'

Life itself is our most precious gift!

Marc's Angels:

Fuzzy - 5" MF G. rosea
      Gabby - 5.5" MM G. pulchripes
      Laila - 3" Aphono. 'NR'
      Lorenzo- MM G. pulchripes
      The babies:
      Jinx and Minx - PZB twins
      Remi - A. diversipes (R.I.P.)
      Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse handling any tarantula. ALL T's are venomous, and could bite. Handle any T at your own risk.

Click
      to view my Gallery!

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      LOL, Marc! Great stories! And who says rosies are BORING???

My rosie, Della, managed to pop off one of the "security clips" on her tank cover. Normally, in the afternoon, she is in her hide, so I do spot-cleaning at this time of day. I freaked when I saw the lid, and immediately checked the tank... no Della. I was in Chat at the time, back and forth, so I told everyone she had escaped. After searching all around the tank area with no results, I began carefully looking at that end of the room. I made it half-way thru the room, again with no results.

So, I told everyone in chat that I hadn't found her yet, and with everyone's well-wishes I proceeded to search again. Being closer to my window, I decided to open the window (I have black screens) to let in more light. As I opened the window, I looked down in the windowsill and saw a huge spider! Nearly scared me to death because I wasn't expecting my rosea to be SUNNING herself in the window!

Needless to say, I coaxed her onto my hand (she was nice and warm from her sunbath) and put her in her tank, carefully inspecting her beforehand. As I replaced the lid, I saw lots of webbing going from side of the dresser down to the floor. With the window open, I could see her trail easily.

She left her tank... reached the floor, and went DIRECTLY to that window, with no detours along the way! Did this girl want a sunbath or what?????

To this day she has not tried to make another break for it...

JSI

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

marcfrick2112 (12-29-2011)