• Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Method to Sex a Tarantula?

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts

Another Method to Sex a Tarantula?

I recently saw discussion elsewhere of another diagnostic tool to determine gender on our pet tarantulas. According to this discussion, the spacing between the last pair of legs (where they join to the carapace) is much broader for females than for males (I got the picture that males might even lack any space).

SO, I thought it would be fun to test that theory here with examples from you all of ventral shots of Ts that you know the gender of already. If we establish anything here, perhaps we can start using that either on this thread or on another. Does this work? Is it limited to certain species or genus? Is it bogus?

For starters, here is my confirmed female Brachypelma albiceps
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_7357a B albiceps sm.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	14119

My male Brachypelma vagans

Name:	_MG_7361a B vagans male sm.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	14120

And my controverted Brachypelma albopilosum (2"). There I go breaking my rule about known genders in the very opening post!

Name:	_MG_7360a B albopilosum sm.jpg 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	14121

Also, if anyone has comparisons between male and female of the same species, that would help this "experiment"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Loving her hubby and her
      babies :)

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      Married 6 years love my hubby millions have a beautiful baby girl called Belle & 2 gorgeous step-daughters Cookie & B who all rock my world.Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should just dance :D my family are my world they are everything to me

Thanks
      Hmmm interesting there does seem to be a difference between your albiceps doesn't there .......... we will have to see some more comparisons
      0.0.1 A. caniceps
      1.0.0 A. seemanni
      0.0.1 A. metallica
      0.0.1 A. versicolour
      0.0.1 B. albiceps
      0.0.2 B. albopilosum
      0.0.1 B. auratum
      0.0.1 B. boehmei
      0.0.1 B. emilia
      0.0.1 B. smithi
      0.0.1 B. vagans
      0.0.1 B verdezi
      0.0.1 C. fasciatum
      0.0.1 E. sp "RED"
      1.0.7 G. rosea
      0.0.1 G. pulchra
      0.0.5 G. pulchripes
      0.0.1 L. parahybana
      0.0.1 N. chromatus
      0.0.1 P. regalis
      0.0.1 P. irminia

1.0.0 B. albopilosum RIP Homer

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      The last one (B. albopilosum) will be the most interesting to watch as the 1 3/8" molt of this T was likely too small to be definitive, but some said it was male. According to the theory, this space looks the most female of any of the three.

The female albiceps' leg gap looks just as close together as the male vagans, until you notice that the vagan's legs are larger in this picture.

IDK, I am exploring this and am ready to discard it if it comes short of evidence.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      Put their size as well as it may come into play (more/less space between a 1in and a 6 in)... possibly...
      --->
      --->

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ***Beth*** View Post
      Put their size as well as it may come into play (more/less space between a 1in and a 6 in)... possibly...
      Definitely a possible factor. For the record, the smallest T in those pics (the B. albopilosum) has the widest gap while the smallest gap goes to the largest T (the B. vagans). That will be something to take not of in comparisons here. Ultimately, same-sized comparisons between male and female of same species would be ideal.

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      Here's a Female OBT at about 4 inches...

Name:	DSC03319.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	14129

Here's a different female OBT about the same size

Name:	DSC03204.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	14130

Here's a female P. Irminia about 4.5 inches

Name:	DSC03216.jpg 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	14131

Here's a 3 inch H. Mac... I THINK it's male but it's not confirmed

Name:	DSC03242.jpg 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	14132

Here's a female L. Violaceopes 6in

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	14133

I don't have much of anything for male undersides.. I may take some pics this weekend...
      --->
      --->

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

yes

I am:
      Curmudgeon

Thanks
      Thanks Beth. I have forgotten about this and nice to be reminded again.

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      Here's my recently identified 6" female Nhandu chromatus female. I'll go through my pics and look for any other vent shot examples that I can find.

Name:	2013-02-13_Nhandu chromatus-03.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	45171

And just to be clear, is this the area that we are talking about?

Here she is at around 3".

Name:	*04-18-11_N. chromatus-02wtmk.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	45172

And at 2"

Name:	*05-04-11_N. chromatus-07wtmk.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	45173
      Last edited by J!m; 02-13-2013 at 06:20 PM.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      This thread needs to be Sticky'd if we're going to see if it's a viable method for sexing. So I just sticky'd it.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      4" Tapinauchenius plumipes Female

Name:	*08-23-10_T. plumipes-10wtmk.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	45180