• Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Tarantula Ambassador(s)...

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      Found out today that one of the neighborhood boys my sons play with is not feeling well and is going through many tests to determine what is wrong with him. Sooo, I packed up 3 of my Ts (G. rosea, B. emilia, and GBB) and one of my leopard geckos to go pay him a visit with my boys. It was a hit, and while the mom was not willing to get too close or to pet the rosea, she was fascinated and said that she had never encountered this before!

The boy sure enjoyed it too!
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7620a Vashti and Friend sm.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	16270

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

meghanbe (07-16-2012)

creepy crawly

I am:
      Blah

Real (nick)name
      Marc
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Oh Scott, that is just Amazingly Cool!

And, you picked some winners there! I would totally say leopard geckos are good 'lizard ambassadors'!

So nice to teach kids that T's are pretty harmless! Certainly not the monsters that the media makes them out to be...
      Official Tus.com 'Spider Spoiler'

Life itself is our most precious gift!

Marc's Angels:

Fuzzy - 5" MF G. rosea
      Gabby - 5.5" MM G. pulchripes
      Laila - 3" Aphono. 'NR'
      Lorenzo- MM G. pulchripes
      The babies:
      Jinx and Minx - PZB twins
      Remi - A. diversipes (R.I.P.)
      Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse handling any tarantula. ALL T's are venomous, and could bite. Handle any T at your own risk.

Click
      to view my Gallery!

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I LOVE doing things like that! I used to take my iguana to a youth detention center, and those kids so loved him.

I would love to find more opportunities to do this sort of thing. I might have to look into that...

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      So yesterday, I brought some of my Ts to church, and afterwards, sat down with the kids to let them see and hold my Ts.

As usual, I had my G. rosea out.

Name:	321656_10150417611530351_694120350_10626672_1667144423_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	16646

Name:	321656_10150417611540351_694120350_10626674_2093268365_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	16647
      Shortly after this photo, she tried to dump Vasthi into her sister's hand and Vashti dug her hooks into this girl's hand to hang on. The girl panicked and as I grabbed her wrist, flung Vashti to the ground (8-10 inches) and thought Vashti had bit her.

I put Vashti away and have been watching her carefully. So far, she seems fine, but I am told there may be issues at the next molt.

So I got out my B. emilia after that and here is an 80+year-old church member holding her (Gloria)

Name:	321656_10150417611545351_694120350_10626675_1448891654_n.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	16648

Just a reminder to communicate very clearly the potential danger to the Ts and take measure to prevent anyone from flinging your ambassador to its potential death (like holding the person's arm down) BEFORE you let them handle your delicate tarantula.

Retired Bodhi Mod

Wishing I was playing Go and
      drinking Ujicha

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Vashti may be just fine. I've seen heavier T's take higher falls and be just alright. It's always a gamble, though.

“Make your own Bible. Select and collect all the words and sentences that in your reading have been like the blast of triumph out of Shakespeare, Seneca, Moses, John and Paul.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It used to be that condemnations and heckling were the sole result of 'liquid courage'. It seems to me that people feel the same kind of obnoxious, mean spirited courage when they can hide behind the anonymity of their keyboards. It's a cowardly kind of courage, that.

creepy crawly

I am:
      Blah

Real (nick)name
      Marc
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Yea, it's always a risk when a T falls....

As for letting people handle my T's for the first time.. as I hand over the T.. I hold onto THEIR hands... (ppls') to make sure my T doesn't get flung./...

I have had to do 'first-aid' of sorts on my first rosie, after a fall... don't wanna repeat that...

:<
      Official Tus.com 'Spider Spoiler'

Life itself is our most precious gift!

Marc's Angels:

Fuzzy - 5" MF G. rosea
      Gabby - 5.5" MM G. pulchripes
      Laila - 3" Aphono. 'NR'
      Lorenzo- MM G. pulchripes
      The babies:
      Jinx and Minx - PZB twins
      Remi - A. diversipes (R.I.P.)
      Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse handling any tarantula. ALL T's are venomous, and could bite. Handle any T at your own risk.

Click
      to view my Gallery!

Retired Moderator

Blah, Blah, ... Woof, Woof ...

I am:
      Pensive

Real (nick)name
      Suzy
      Tarantulas

Thanks

Name:	charfor2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	16655
      This is my Curlyhair, Charlotte. She is so gentle- anyone could handle her.

Also, I kept Beast at school when he was younger. All of the teachers, even the ones that had commented that "spiders are icky!" would come in to see his latest webbing or to watch him eat. He attacked his prey with gusto- it was awesome! People would ask "Would you please call me when you feed him again?" One of those people was my principal.

Name:	beastforum1.jpg 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	16656
      Oh, and BTW, I love this thread! Great idea!

Suzy

i love horseeee's

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas
      1 Chromatopelma

Thanks
      I just got asked to bring my GBB sling in to a classroom of 1st graders! She asked me to teach about spiders. I'm so excited.
      0.0.1 Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
      0.1.0 Grammostola rosea "Shelob"
      0.0.1 Brachypelma albopilosum "Speck"
      :horse:

Originally Posted by J!m
      ROA ..... OMG, .....I am speechless and that doesn't happen very often. LOL

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thank you all for your comments and encouragements. This is great to see all your posts!

RockinOutAmber, here is video of my GBB when she molted first time in my care. This has been a cool ambassador video on FB for my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ug5l...mment_received

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      Well, I keep about 5 Ts in my classroom--T. stirmi, C. cyaneopubescens, A. behlei, A. sp. Flagstaff Orange, A. brocklehursti, I will be adding a couple more (a beautiful G pulchripes female about 3.5" and a couple handsome G puchra male 4"), and the rest at home. So I will post pics of my classroom Ts, as they are viewed by 200 students daily, and growing. For liabilty reasons all the Ts in my classroom are "loom only", I hope to be able to start a presentation program where I can take Ts and allow the kids to feel them. Here are a few of the pics I have handy.

Minx female G pulchripes, she has molted since that pic was taken

Name:	Chaco female 9-8-11.jpg 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	16678

Obsidian male G pulchra

Name:	Obsidian005 9-17-11c.jpg 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	16679

Precious (notice I have the glass between me and Precious)

Name:	Precious 6-27-11size.jpg 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	16680

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.