• Vegged out
  • Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy

Thread: Urticating Hair and Molts, any connections?

Retired Moderator

SpiderMan

I am:
      Artistic

Tarantulas

Thanks

Urticating Hair and Molts, any connections?

So while Scott (ManlyMan) and I were visiting last weekend and he was showing me his theory on molts, another question came up. Many people tell of a "reverse tolerance" when it comes to urticating hairs. I was thinking about this and wondered why this would be. Then I got to thinking, is it possible that as a tarantula molts and grows larger, or because it is being bothered by its owner (ie handling etc.) could the setae be changing to become more irritating as a defense mechanism? Any thoughts?
      Please Read The Forum Rules Below!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      It's like allergies. Repeated exposure can worsen your symptoms or reactions. Exposure triggers something that releases amounts of hystamine in your system (which is why anti-histamines are recommended to lessen the effects). The more you're exposed the more hystamine it'll release. I am unsure as to the exact cause or the why of it but it's what happens.
      --->
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      --->

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ***Beth*** For This Useful Post:

JoeCanada (09-26-2011)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      I am just now seeing this thread that is a few years old.

I gotta say that I have not found urt hairs to increase in irritation. And I do deal with them a good bit. Part of it is that while I do itch from them, they don't drive me to distraction; I just live with it and find no mental upsetness about it.

I am very thankful for this as I happen to be a very hands-on person.

As for why this is so for me, I don't know. I have had some 10 years with Ts. Plenty of time to develop an "allergy" response to them. But I have had a 10 year reprieve between the two collections. Might that have something to do with it? I know some allergies can be reversed by a period of complete abstinence from the allergen, then a very slow and gradual re-introduction to it.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Thanks
      Mine have gotten worse due to the Brachypelma smithi males I have - they're hair kicking demons. I was never bothered by them much, but I never had anyone kick hair at me before these two. You just have to look at them and they start. I had to buy a box of latex gloves and I wear them when I do any maintenance in the Brachy enclosures. Nobody else seems to bother me that much.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArachnoVegan For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (03-12-2017)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      smithis are bad, but I find that B. emilia seems to have the worst urt hairs of the Brachies.

And with the exception of my girl, B. boehmei seem to be the very worst hair kickers of the Brachies (maybe even of all Ts).

But that has just been my experience. With the variety of personailities, even among each species, the room for variance is great.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.