;)

Thanks

Basic Scorpion Care Sheets

Lets start off with the most commonly kept species

Scientific Name: Pandinus imperator
      Common Name: Emperor Scorpion
      Level: Beginner

Distribution: Africa

Housing: Small Aquariums, Plastic storage containers, Deli cups(for young)

Adults/Juveniles can be housed comfortably in small Aquariums or plastic containers such as Shoe Boxes or Kritter Keepers. It's best to keep young in individual deli containers(i recommend 16 ounce). Offer at least 2 hiding spots(use Cork Bark slabs, or flat rocks). They are a communal species and will do fine when housed with similar sized tank mates if given adequate food and hiding places. A shallow water dish is also recommended, stay away from spongers, cotton or cricket gel.

Substrate: Emperors are obligate burrowers, which means they will dig! give them plenty of damp Coco-coir(Eco-Earth), or Peat moss(or a mixture of both). I recommend a depth of 5"-8". Keep damp at all times.

Temperature: Emperors will do well in a wide range of temps, however, your temps should not reach below 60 degrees. For best results, keep them warm at temps between 75f-85f. If you live in a cold climate, adhere a small reptile heating pad controlled by a thermostat, or rheostat TO THE SIDE of the enclosure, never put them on the bottom, your scorpion will burrow down towards the heat and cook itself.

Humidity: 80%-95%. If you're using an aquarium with a screen top, cover 90% of it with plastic wrap, clear mailing tape or aluminum foil, same can be done for a kritter keeper.

Temperament: Emperor Scorpions are known for their docile behavior and tolerance of handling, they do however have a very strong pinch and if startled may pinch or sting. Gravid females may become very defensive and should be left alone during gestation and sling rearing.
      (i do not recommend handling any species of scorpion)

Diet: Gutloaded Crickets or Roaches. Your feeder prey should be fed a high protein diet and well hydrated at least 24 hours prior to being fed off. Adults can be fed once a week, babies and juveniles should be fed 2-3 times per week. Remove any uneaten prey after 24 hours, as well as any remains to control possible mite infestations.

Venom: Emperors are among the least dangerous species of Scorpions. Unless you have a rare allergic reaction, their venom is comparable to a bee sting. On a scale of 1-5, the Emperor Scorpion's venom is a level 1.

Sexing: See photo

i'll try to get at least 2 care sheets done a week
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 313153_10150237806322824_593002823_6593902_106068829_n.jpg  
      Last edited by DansDragons; 11-09-2011 at 03:06 AM.
      Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me for my other review thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<<< SUBSCRIBE!

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy
      sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."
      Psalms 19:14

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DansDragons For This Useful Post:

***Beth*** (11-09-2011), FaaFaa (12-07-2011), JoeCanada (11-30-2011), ManlyMan7 (01-25-2012), Noble (11-08-2011), pro-crastinator (12-07-2011)

Blessed

I am:
      Tired

Tarantulas
      ;)

Thanks
      Scientific Name: Hadrurus arizonensis
      Common Name: Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion
      Level: Beginner/Intermediate

Distribution: Arizona, Texas, California

Housing: Small Aquariums, Plastic storage containers, Deli cups(for young)

Adults/Juveniles can be housed comfortably in small Aquariums or plastic containers such as Shoe Boxes or Kritter Keepers. Offer at least 2 hiding spots(use Cork Bark slabs, or flat rocks. the more the better). These are NOT a communal species and do best when kept alone. A water dish should be provided once every 1-2 months to offer them a chance to drink

Substrate: There are a few different choices for substrate, but i have found that 4"-8" of wetted sand that has been packed down and dried makes the best choice for this species. They will tunnel into the hard packed sand as they would in the wild and live comfortably. Other choices include dry coco coir, or peat, or even a mix of all 3.

Temperature: Your temps should not reach below 60 degrees. For best results, keep them warm at temps between 70f-90f, the higher your temps(within the range of 70-90) the better your scorpion will thrive. If you live in a cold climate, adhere a small reptile heating pad controlled by a thermostat, or rheostat TO THE SIDE of the enclosure, never put them on the bottom, your scorpion will burrow down towards the heat and cook itself.

Humidity: 40%-50%. Since these are an arid species. humidity levels do not need to be high. Consider a water dish, or a very slight misting of the enclosures side when your scorpion is ready to molt.

Temperament: Desert Hairys are a docile species, but unlike the Emperor Scorpion, they will not hesitate to us their stingers, so care should be taken when and if you decide to handle. They can be aggressive to any tankmates and are not recommended for a communal setup.

Diet: Gutloaded Crickets or Roaches. Your feeder prey should be fed a high protein diet and well hydrated at least 24 hours prior to being fed off. Adults can be fed once a week, babies and juveniles should be fed 2-3 times per week. Remove any uneaten prey after 24 hours, as well as any remains to control possible mite infestations.

Venom: On a scale of 1-5, where 5 is highly toxic, the H. arizonensis is a 1-2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4801199092_d9981546ab.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	17652[
      Dan

<<< SUBSCRIBE!

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DansDragons For This Useful Post:

***Beth*** (12-07-2011), JoeCanada (11-30-2011), pro-crastinator (12-07-2011)

Blessed

I am:
      Tired

Tarantulas
      ;)

Thanks
      Scientific Name: Centruroides gracilis
      Common Name: Caribbean Dusky Scorpion
      Level: Intermediate

Distribution: South America, Florida

Housing: Small Aquariums, Tall Plastic storage containers, Tall Deli cups(for young)

Adults/Juveniles can be housed comfortably in small Aquariums, tall plastic containers, or Kritter Keepers. It's best to keep young in individual deli containers(i recommend 16-32 ounce). Offer vertical bark pieces for them to hide and molt on. Adults can be kept communally. Keep a small shallow water dish in the enclosure for adults and fill when the water evaporates.

Substrate: Damp, not soaked Coco-Coir(eco earth), Peat moss, or a mix of both at a depth of 1"-3" depending on the size of the enclosure is sufficient for this species as they do not burrow.

Temperature: This species does well in temperatures ranging from 70f-85f. The higher the temp within this rage, the faster this species will grow, give birth and breed.

Humidity: 70%-75%. If you're using an aquarium with a screen top, cover 90% of it with plastic wrap, clear mailing tape or aluminum foil, same can be done for a kritter keeper.

Temperament:Can be skittish when disturbed. Not generally defensive, but they are quick to use their stingers, and being Buthids, handling is in no way recommended.

Venom: These are Buthids, which are known for their strong venom, however this species ranks as a 2-3 on a scale of 1-5, 5 being extremely toxic.

Sexing: Males will be more slender and his tail segments will be longer than a females.

Female

Name:	gracilis.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	19619

Male

Name:	rsz_gra_004.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	19620
      Last edited by DansDragons; 12-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.
      Dan

<<< SUBSCRIBE!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DansDragons For This Useful Post:

***Beth*** (12-07-2011), FaaFaa (12-07-2011), vinnymc (03-17-2013)