• Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Phrixotrichus scrofa (formerly Paraphysa scrofa)

No status right now.

I am:
      Sleepy

Tarantulas

Thanks

Phrixotrichus scrofa (formerly Paraphysa scrofa)

Got to make a fan club for my favorite tarantula species! I got Khan in May of 2009 from a local reptile shop: Awesome Reptiles. She was my fourth T and an impulse purchase. When I picked up and opened the deli cup she was in she immediately threw me a threat pose then the next second walked calmly out onto my hand. I had to have her.At first like so many I thought she was an immature RCF G rosea but I wondered at how rich her color was...I had never seen a picture of a RCF G rosea with her shiny new penny look or her bright mirror patch, or her dark tiger stripes. One day I accidentally stumbled on a picture of a Paraphysa scrofa, I had never heard of the species before but I knew that was what Khan was.

Khan is my most active tarantula, she is a mere 3.5 inches but she makes full use of her 5.5 gallon tarantutat. She loves to climb. I made her home with uneven ground to help accommodate this but nevertheless she is more often than not found on the glass. For the first year I had her she hardly webbed at all. one day she went crazy and webbed up her entire tank. After I cleaned it up she webbed again. She will throw up a threat pose in her habitat but if removed can be cautiously handled. Once while doing a bit of maintenance in her tank I carelessly brushed one of her legs with my hand. She whirled around and attacked my hand...but she did not bite. as soon as she touched my hand she stopped, fangs gently resting against my skin. After a moment she ambled off about her business, content that I was neither prey nor predator.

In March of this year I found a MM p scrofa at that same pet store. Kirk. Much like Khan, Kirk is set up in a two story habitat, his a large KK. He is active and a good eater. He is also unpredictable and will throw the errant threat pose if disrubed. Once out of his territory he calms right down.

I bred Khan and Kirk and had my first sac...131 healthy spiderlings. A few are still with me.

Show off your scrofa and tell your scrofa stories here!
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Smaughunter For This Useful Post:

Suzy (11-21-2011)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      WOW! What a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l species! The way they web reminds me of an OBT or GBB!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

Suzy (11-21-2011)

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      Very beautiful. That one is definitely on my wish list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

Suzy (11-21-2011)

Retired Moderator

Blah, Blah, ... Woof, Woof ...

I am:
      Pensive

Real (nick)name
      Suzy
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      P. scrofa is also my favorite species. I have 2 slings, FaaFaa's mature male on loan, and 3 adult females on the way. jI also have a P. parvula that has pretty much the same temperament.
      In my opinion and experience they are the calmest Ts I've ever seen. Any time I have a visitor that wants me to get one of my Ts out or wants to hold one, this is the one I pick. At first I thought it was just because they are small, but Jen's male, Piper is exactly like my other three. Calm and cautious in hand, but active and even acrobatic in an enclosure. I've never had terrestrials, or in fact any tarantula as active as these are. They are always out, and usually hanging out on the side.
      Lily
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6bu.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	18412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7u.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	18413

Tulip

Name:	1u.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	18414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5443.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	18415

I so hope that FaaFaa and I get some babies from Piper. He is truly special.
      Here is a picture of Piper that I took, but he is Faafaa's T. We just get to borrow him for a while.

Name:	p4.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	18416

Suzy

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      Aww I miss my Piper! P. scrofas are amazing! They are active and colorful. They are docile and small. If I were told I could only ever have 1 Tarantula a P. scrofa would be the one I picked!

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts
      sweet!
      i have four big girls and three i hope will be dropping a sack soon: )~
      i looooove Paraphysa scrofa's!!!!!

No status right now.

I am:
      Sleepy

Tarantulas

Thanks
      In my opinion and experience they are the calmest Ts I've ever seen.
      I think this may be the difference between captive raised and wild caught. My spiderlings are the same way...but my WC adults are not.

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts
      i have several all captive bread, some are very calm some are nuts. i think that is just the way it is with all Ts to some degree: )

Retired Moderator

Blah, Blah, ... Woof, Woof ...

I am:
      Pensive

Real (nick)name
      Suzy
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I am super-excited about getting my wild-caught girls and getting to know their personalities! I am expecting them to be pretty fun to watch.

Suzy

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      I have to say that I do have one thing that I do not like about P scrofas, they are a pain to feed! This is the only species of tarantula that I have had in my care that just don't want to eat like everyone else. Is this my imagination or is it just the scrofas that I have had?