between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts

Brachypelma emilia Fan Club

Hey you fans out there, I know you're out there. Let's hear it for Mexican Red-leg Tarantulas (B. emilias!!!)

These Brachy's are gentle, slightly flicky, gorgeous spiders

Who was that masked tarantula anyway?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_7213a Gloria sm.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	18589

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Getting ready to wrestle a
      grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      Me, me, me! I'll join this fan club, too! :-) I have five of these beauties: Benden, Ista, Igen, Telgar and Honshu. They arrived on 1/6/2011 at 0.5" and now range between 2.5 - 3.0". They usually stay buried in their respective tunnel networks. The following pictures are of Telgar, the most visible of the five.
      At ~1.0"

Hanging from the ceiling of its coconut shell hide after its May molt.

Most recently in its new found hangout on top of its hide.

Retired Moderator

SpiderMan

I am:
      Artistic

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Wow Scott!!! That emilia pic is so amazing!
      Please Read The Forum Rules Below!

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JoeCanada View Post
      Wow Scott!!! That emilia pic is so amazing!
      Ditto! I hope by the time mine are that sized they will be a little more cooperative for photo shoots!

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Formerphobe View Post
      Ditto! I hope by the time mine are that sized they will be a little more cooperative for photo shoots!
      Believe it or not, she is only 4 inches. She is currently in premolt (I hope). She has bulldozed her hide shut and stopped eating. But she hasn't turned dark yet.

Here are some more pics of her through the last couple molts. I have had her six months, and she has only molted twice on me. I keep my T room warmer than most and tend to feed my Ts heavily, so this really shows their slow growth.

Her first molt with me was an upright molt.

Name:	_MG_7686a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	18600

Name:	_MG_7688a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	18601

Name:	_MG_7690a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	18602

Name:	_MG_7693a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	18603

Name:	_MG_7696a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	18604

Name:	_MG_7703a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	18605

Name:	_MG_7717a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	18606

Name:	_MG_7726a Gloria's molt.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	18607

Her last molt was "normal"

Name:	IMG_0110a Gloria molting sm.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	18599

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      These Ts are one of the most beautiful in my mind. They are so elegant and graceful. And I love their temperament. I put her on my arm and she will explore around me, walking over my shoulders to the other hand.

Name:	IMG_0003_2a Gloria postmolt sm.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	18608

Name:	_MG_7263a Emilia sm.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	18609

Retired Moderator

SpiderMan

I am:
      Artistic

Tarantulas

Thanks
      She is phenomenal. I am so excited for my males next molt. I hope his colors are close to your girl, and that he stops being such an urt.
      Please Read The Forum Rules Below!

grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      My guys/gals get fed once a week and are kept at room temp, which could be anywhere from 60 - 80 degrees F. Two have molted 4 times in the past 10 months, one molted 5 times, the other two 6 times. All kept on the same shelf, same substrate, same prey items, etc... no rhyme nor reason. It's a conspiracy to keep us keepers hopping! :-)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Formerphobe View Post
      My guys/gals get fed once a week and are kept at room temp, which could be anywhere from 60 - 80 degrees F. Two have molted 4 times in the past 10 months, one molted 5 times, the other two 6 times. All kept on the same shelf, same substrate, same prey items, etc... no rhyme nor reason. It's a conspiracy to keep us keepers hopping! :-)
      Yeah, I am beginning to realize that Brachy's may be slow on molting but they at least grow some with each molt. Not as slow-growing as the Aphonopelmas have reputations for. But with Aphonopelmas, I think they have a reputation of no apparent growth from a molt. My emilia girl (Gloria) is a month past her due date, and she was a month late the last time too. I think her cycles have slowed down more than other species I have. But I do expect her to turn dark any time now. She has stopped eating and sealed herself into her hide.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCanada View Post
      She is phenomenal. I am so excited for my males next molt. I hope his colors are close to your girl, and that he stops being such an urt.
      Being sacmates, I am sure yours will be just as gorgeous.

grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      Yeah, I am beginning to realize that Brachy's may be slow on molting but they at least grow some with each molt. Not as slow-growing as the Aphonopelmas have reputations for. But with Aphonopelmas, I think they have a reputation of no apparent growth from a molt.
      I think it depends on the species of Brachy or Aphonopelma, and you might as well add Grammostola to the slow growing list as well. :-) I have several A. burica who have doubled their size in the past four months. "Doubled" meaning I can see them with the naked eye now. LOL My A. seemani, who was ~0.75" in July is going pass up most of my Brachy juvies if they're not careful! She's already caught up to the G. pulchripes.

Believe it or not, she is only 4 inches.
      Hopefully my guys will put on some more color with their next molts.