Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts

Brachypelma hamorii Fan Club

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabitha crop.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	18620
      Introducing the Orignal Pet Tarantula Fan Club!!

You got it! This is the species that started the hobby! Let's hear it for the Mexican Red-knee!

Post your pics and stories and facts. Tell us your likes and dislikes. Post your questions.Welcome one and all!

My first ever pet tarantula happened to be the original pet T species, a Brachypelma smithi I bought in 1996. When I brought Tabitha home from the pet store, she was maybe 5 inches. Before long, she had grown to a healthy 7 inches!

She was a bit flicky but generally an awesome tarantula. There were nights where I would spend hours sketching with her on my shoulder. She loved to just park. My avatar is a digitally modified piece of art I did in college with construction paper.

I had Tabitha for 5 years before I gave her (and the rest of my collection of 5 at the time) away. She died a few months later when the friend who I gave her to had his hot water heater (in the closet of his T room) go out and the heat and humidity that followed killed most of his collection.

I am SO stricken by their patterns (eat your heart out Acanthoscurria)!

Name:	TabithaPostMolt3.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	18615
      Her blue butt (first premolt I ever witnessed)

Name:	TabPreMolt.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	18611
      Her first molt was an upright molt, so I don't get concerned when I witness them doing that.

Name:	TabithaMlt2.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	18612
      LOVE that postmolt stretch!

Name:	TabithaPostMolt1.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	18613

Name:	TabithaPostMolt2.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	18614
      Here is a male I kept for a few months from a friend of mine.

Name:	RdKneeMlt7.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	18617
      I currently am a proud owner of another female smithi (Hadasseh) who is just now starting to show forth her colors.

Name:	_MG_7534a Hadasseh sm.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	18619
      Based on her last molt, I am pretty sure she is I see the flap forming!

Name:	DSCN7743a B smithi molt am.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	18618
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 09-13-2012 at 11:42 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (06-12-2016), Moocrossing (09-15-2016)

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,094 Posts
      smithi's are so cool: )~

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pan60 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (06-12-2016), Noble (11-25-2011)

Noble Member

Proud ornata sac puller!

I am:
      Cheerful

Real (nick)name
      Noble
      Tarantulas
      yes please

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
      smithi's are so cool: )~
      +1

the Smithi is the first T i saw that was a must have, they were my second and 3rd addition to add to my collection and I think they are just so beautiful i really cant wait for my little one to achive adult colors

The Dude Guy Man Bro Himselfy

Getting ready to wrestle a
      grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      B. smithi was my very first tarantula, circa 1979ish. My current sling 'Ruatha' is the slowest growing of all the Brachys I have.
      Here he is after July molt:

He went through a phase where he preferred waterfront dining. He would drag his prey item from wherever he caught it in his enclosure and drag it to the water bowl where he would either straddle the bowl or balance on the marbles to eat. What a goof!

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Wow Formerphobe, that is so cute. Mine should be molting in another few weeks. Hasn't stopped eating yet, though I am going to quit feeding her as she is too fat already, but she is scheduled to stop feeding in the next few days in preparation for her molt (scheduled for Dec 7). She should start looking like Ruatha after that.

My smithi isn't my slowest grower. That honor might go to my B. albiceps. But my fastest Brachy growers have to be my Curlyhairs.

OK folks, let's get some care sheet information logged in here.

What are their temperature, humidity and space requirements?

I kept my Tabitha in a 10-gal tank, and as you can see from the pics, I had it dripping wet in there (with a vermiculite/peat mix). But that is NOT prescribed. I understand they are arid scrubland species and do well in dryer environments.

They are also terrestrials. I don't know how active they are at burrowing since I don't seem to facilitate burrowing too well for my Ts, and my smithis have never been burrowers.

Let us know your experience and knowledge in these areas!

grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      OK folks, let's get some care sheet information logged in here.

What are their temperature, humidity and space requirements?
      Temp - most of mine are at room temp which ranges from 65 - 80 F depending on season and time of day.
      Humidity - umm, uhh, welll... Oscar, the little boy on my mom's indoor weather station says RH in the house is currently 51%... and, Ruatha is kept on bone dry coconut coir/peat blend substrate with a water bowl and part of his lid covered with plastic wrap to keep in humidity.
      Space - 2.5" Ruatha is in a medium KK (~8"L x 5"W x 6"H) with 3 - 4" sloped substrate and a clay pot hide. I think it's a bit too big for him, but when I got in new Ts in August and had to play musical containers, that's what he ended up in. When he was much smaller and still in a deli cup he would rearrange substrate and create hollows, but never burrowed, unlike his emilia and vagans cousins. Sometimes he shifts substrate in his current container, but has not shown a tendency to climb, or I would have been adding more substrate. He rarely uses his hide except to sit on top of it, though he did molt inside of it in July.

He gets fed once a week, usually a prey item approximately the size of his abdomen. Prey is usually crickets, sometimes roaches, with an occasional mealworm. The only time he has been known to turn down a meal is in late pre-molt.

Noble Member

Proud ornata sac puller!

I am:
      Cheerful

Real (nick)name
      Noble
      Tarantulas
      yes please

Thanks
      Bay Lee has a awesome care sheet for Smithi's Here

The Dude Guy Man Bro Himselfy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Noble For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (11-26-2011)

enjoying Sarajevo

I am:
      Inspired

Real (nick)name
      Budo
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I must join here, B.smithi was my first T.
      I got Dubby 15 months ago than she bewitched me and today I have 8 Ts (and a long wishlist), but she is The Queen

she likes to pose for pictures but mostly it takes hours for her to change the pose

she never threats or kicks hairs at me, simply turns and walks away when she doesn't like my company

she loves bulldozing and rearranging her home but also takes a nap for days...

you don't need eyes to SEE, you need VISION

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Great shots everyone! Noble, yours molted recently and is really showing the adult coloration?

I looked in on mine last night and saw her rump is dark for premolt! YEAH!! She is currently just under 2" and was starting to show colors on this last molt. Another week and she will be sporting a beautiful new coat!

So, does anyone have any molt charts you would like to post for us here? I love checking out molt charts to see the growth tendencies, when they show colors, when they can be adequately sexed, how the pace spreads out as they get bigger (which I am starting to see can be quite dramatic for Brachies), etc. Post'em here!

grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      "Ruatha" acquired 6 Jan 2011 @ 1.25"
      Molts:
      25 Jan 2011
      8 April 2011 ~2"
      12 July 2011 ~2.5" male

I noted on 5 Oct 2011 that he appeared to be in early pre-molt. He's still in a pre-molt holding pattern... No change in behavior, still taking prey.