• Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy
  • Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brachypelma vagans (Mexican Red-rump) Fan Club!

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,435 Times in 3,161 Posts

Brachypelma vagans (Mexican Red-rump) Fan Club!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_7439a Chloe sm.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	20193
      Hi all! It's finally here! What you have ALL been waiting for! The one and only B. vagans fan club!

What is there NOT to like about these awesome Brachy's?

Beautiful velvety black with red highlights,
      Feisty
      My most viscious eater!
      Oh, she is quite flicky!

Step right up and post your pics right here!
      Share you stories.
      Amaze your friends with your knowledge of these wonderful Ts!

This is Chloe. She was given to me by another Mod here (which I promised Joe I wouldn't mention his name. Thanks Joe! )

Name:	_MG_7435a vagans om nom sm.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	20196

Name:	_MG_7441a Chloe Nomming sm.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	20194

Name:	_MG_7441a Chloe Nomming Closeup sm.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	20195
      She just molted to 4.75" last week and is getting to be such a beauty. And as you can see, she has an awesome appetite that trumps even Lps and geniculatas!

Don't believe me? Well, just last week, I dropped two crickets into her cage, which landed 2 inches from her, an inch apart from each other, and in one fell swoop, BAM! she had them both in her jaws! You should see her attack the stream of water when I pour some into her water dish!

Still don't believe me? Well, check this out:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2nBs...3&feature=plcp (sorry it's out of focus)
      And:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4fc8...eature=related

BTW, DON'T try that with bare hands!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Retired Moderator

Blah, Blah, ... Woof, Woof ...

I am:
      Pensive

Real (nick)name
      Suzy
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Beautiful girl! I would like to have one of these... If I come across a confirmed female , there will be no hope for me ( and my vow).
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Suzy

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,435 Times in 3,161 Posts
      Oh, and did I mention they are one of the cheaper Ts? Can't beat $5 or $10 slings.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,094 Posts

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,546 Times in 2,843 Posts
      I love my vagans. They are really beautiful and pictures don't do them justice. Those red hairs on the rump are so red you can see them from across the room. I can't get a good picture of mine because every time I open the enclosure she darts to her burrow and because she is in a large KK, pictures through the plastic are horrible. Manly sent me the picture of his standing tall and eating and now that my T room is done, I am going to get it printed and frame it!!

Oh, and I got mine at an expo at about 3-1/2" and he gave me a new large KK all for $15. I figured she was a he and the guy was just telling me he didn't know the sex, but she molted a month later and is definitely a female. So.. 3-1/2" female with a new enclosure $15...not bad. I've seen slings for under $5 and they are pretty fast growers.

Sings "One is the
      loneliest number" in the
      chat box when alone.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas

Thanks
      This is Red, my little female Vagans. She looks big in the pictures but she's really only about 4 inches which is still a youngster as far as Vagans go. She has alot of weird quirps about her. Specifically she likes to dump her waste ( Cricket bollus's, poo and what have you ) in her water dish. XD I've seen her deliberately walk over to her dish after eating and plop the cricket bollus in her dish and brush her palps off. Such a diva. lol She's pretty much hard to spook, but she will kick a little and she's threat displayed me twice. Never had a bad molt with this one.

Here's a couple fun videos of this character. They're rather old and she's bigger now but they're still classic Red.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phpSTmJ3XPM.jpg   phpOqV2bgPM.jpg   php2eGdCvAM.jpg   phphPkYapPM.jpg  
      That's how it begins. I'm sorry to say...but you caught the fever. There's no cure except more T's.

Getting ready to wrestle a
      grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks

Solid 3" exuvium.

Girl child!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Formerphobe For This Useful Post:

lagomorphette (08-16-2012)

No status right now.

I am:
      Sleepy

Tarantulas

Thanks
      This is my Sang (pronounced song), he is a male. I suspect he may mature on his next molt.

Younger

Now

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,094 Posts
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B.v.-d_11.jpg  

incei pusher :-)

I am:
      Sneaky

Thanks
      I got 1.1

I first thought the MF i got at 6" was a hybird cuz she was quite brown and i've asked hand full of ppl when they start turning black.
      anyways at the same time i had a younger one (now a MM) he was black with a red rump at 4"

when i first got her at 6"

She molted but was STILL brown in color instead of BLACK.
      it's hard ot measure her as she's a crazy flicker and is VERY NERVOUS.
      i'm guessing she molted to 6.25"

she MOLTED AGAIN!
      this is the fun part.
      me questioning if she is a TRUE B. vagans ended right here
      cuz she now looks like this. i'm guesing 6.5"

*Please note that ALL tarantulas have a certain amount of venom. Although most people are not affected, some people may be allergic to the venom, or just more sensitive, making it a dangerous situation. Some species of tarantulas can rub urticating hairs off of their abdomens, which can also cause a reaction, depending on the person. Affects of tarantulas' natural defenses may vary between people. If you have decided you are still going to handle your T's IT IS YOUR RISK.*