I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts

Does size = maturity?

I have been wondering about this sice I got Suzys P. scrofa female on Monday. Let me see if I can explian this clearly...

A few years ago I purchased a WC female scrofa from KTBG. She wasnt in my care but 6 months and passed. I am assuming it was old age. Clover is also a WC female, but she is about 1/3 SMALLER than my previous scrofa. This got me thinking. I have read over and over that size doesnt always match up to age in CB tarantulas. Does this same rule apply to WC? I would assume that it would not. Im curious about this because I wonder if Clover didnt want to breed because she is too young. I think I read somewhere that you can tell if a F is sexually mature from their molt, is this true?

Is this making sense to anyone?
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      A female t is mature when her spermithicae have darkened to a usually brownish color. When too young to breed its clear/ easily seen through and harder to find on a molt.. When people say a t is mature by size they're basing it on when they tend to be mature by or the size they are known to grow to.
      --->
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      --->
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ***Beth*** For This Useful Post:

FaaFaa (01-11-2012), marcfrick2112 (01-11-2012), Noble (01-11-2012), Suzy (01-11-2012)

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      So is it safe to assume that Clover is younger than my first scrofa female and therefore possibly not ready to breed? Or does the size differance mean nothing? I guess we will just have to wait for a molt. Since she was WC her last molt date is unknow...I think.

Suzy, you dont have a molt date for Clover do you?

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      Size could mean anything. Everything has a different growth rate. Sometimes if too far along after a molt they won't be receptive because because they're too close to molting again and won't be able to produce a sac successfully... Wasted effort etc...
      --->
      --->

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ***Beth*** For This Useful Post:

marcfrick2112 (01-11-2012), Tgirl1010 (01-11-2012)

spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Ok I am beginning to think there is no black and white here just shades of gray...

Retired Moderator

SpiderMan

I am:
      Artistic

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Keep in mind too that some tarantulas just as any other creature will never reach full size potential. Just as yous say no black or white but shades of grey.
      Please Read The Forum Rules Below!

Noble Member

Proud ornata sac puller!

I am:
      Cheerful

Real (nick)name
      Noble
      Tarantulas
      yes please

Thanks
      Really good question!

The Dude Guy Man Bro Himselfy

Retired Moderator

Blah, Blah, ... Woof, Woof ...

I am:
      Pensive

Real (nick)name
      Suzy
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      She was freshly molted when she was caught. It was very obvious. Even just a week or two later, she didn't have that shiny, soft freshly-molted look she had when I got her. I am sure she was freshly molted. I am not sure she is mature though.

Suzy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzy For This Useful Post:

FaaFaa (01-11-2012), marcfrick2112 (01-11-2012)

No status right now.

I am:
      Sleepy

Tarantulas

Thanks
      What is her size? Khan is 3.5 and mature.

spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I stink at measuring them. According to my measurments she is right around 3" DLS. I could be off a little though.