Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts

Corkbark Substrate?

Hi all!

In chat a few nights ago, babypiggy, Marc and I were discussing corkbark products. babypiggy provided a link for corkbark slabs and tubes, and while looking at it, found something that captured my interest.

Here is what I saw. -->
      Granulated

I got to thinking... since corkbark slabs and tubes are so highly recommended... what about corkbark... substrate???

Would the corkbark be too light to use as a sub? Cork repells water, would that be an issue? Would this be an OK sub for arid-specie Ts, such as Grammostola?

Chime in with your thoughts and opinions. I am very curious about this, and would like to hear from others.

Thanks, all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

J!m (01-22-2012), marcfrick2112 (01-21-2012)

Retired Moderator

SpiderMan

I am:
      Artistic

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Interesting thoughts.

I think you are thinking on the right page regarding the water repellant qualaties of corkbark. However for arid species such as Grammastola and other desert dwellers it would probably make a most excellent substrate.
      Please Read The Forum Rules Below!

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCanada For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (01-21-2012)

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      Neat find.

Is this organic, free of chemicals or other things that would harm our Ts?
      What would be a good size?
      I wonder if this would help keep unwanted pests away?
      Wonder how it would hold up to a burrow?

I want to explore this more...
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FaaFaa For This Useful Post:

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      I sent them an email...lets see what they have to say. I will let you know when I get a reply,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FaaFaa For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (01-21-2012), marcfrick2112 (01-21-2012)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FaaFaa View Post
      I want to explore this more...
      Me too. I am seriously considering contacting this company and ordering samples of the larger-gran cork. My rosea would be a "willing" helper in testing this, I think.

I would think, provided it IS good for burrowers, that a water-repellant such as cork would aid tremendously in keeping most pests at bay. Of course there is the T's waterdish to consider. Mites, flies, etc. would congregate around the only moisture in the tank. Hmmm....

These are just ideas I am playing around with... I am indeed highly interested in this. I am thinking of emailing the company for detailed info on their methods of processing the gran. cork.

More ideas forcoming, as I must step out for a few.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

marcfrick2112 (01-21-2012)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      LOL, FaaFaa is way ahead of me!

Eagerly awaiting a response!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

creepy crawly

I am:
      Blah

Real (nick)name
      Marc
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Well, my only concern, beyond if the cork has been treated with pesticides... is whether granulated cork can be burrowed into. I feel SOME T's at least could use it. Some of my T's always web up their burrows for reinforcement. hmm

I have used gran. cork before, in coarser grades for craft and hobby work for years...
      Never thought of using for my T's, tho...
      Official Tus.com 'Spider Spoiler'

Life itself is our most precious gift!

Marc's Angels:

Fuzzy - 5" MF G. rosea
      Gabby - 5.5" MM G. pulchripes
      Laila - 3" Aphono. 'NR'
      Lorenzo- MM G. pulchripes
      The babies:
      Jinx and Minx - PZB twins
      Remi - A. diversipes (R.I.P.)
      Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse handling any tarantula. ALL T's are venomous, and could bite. Handle any T at your own risk.

Click
      to view my Gallery!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to marcfrick2112 For This Useful Post:

Retired Moderator

bangarang!

I am:
      Relaxed

Real (nick)name
      Mark
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I don't think I would use this as the sole substrate, but it might be a good additive into a dryer terrestrial mix for texture. I'm with marc on the burrowing, I don't believe it would be conducive to structural integrity until you got into the extremely fine which might just be too loose. However I am thinking I may order some of the larger granules (1/2-1) and experiment with using it in false bottom setups.
      This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to animalnstinct For This Useful Post:

FaaFaa (01-21-2012), JumpSpidersInc (01-21-2012), Scoolman (02-01-2012)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I also had thought of mixing it with another sub. I was thinking to get enough to be able to test out different mixes, as well as a stand-alone. Since it is water-repellant, maybe adding a layer of peat (for example) to the bottom would aid in draining off/retaining moisture.

As I said, these are things I am mulling over...

I have 3 extra 10-gal. tanks to play around with... hmmm...

I think this would make a nice experiment to try out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

creepy crawly

I am:
      Blah

Real (nick)name
      Marc
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Yea, that's a good idea.. I could try combos of cork + degraded fir, and cork + EE ....

Sometimes, at least IME, mixing subs. can be helpful... as an example, my NR being def. a semi-arid species, I felt a mix of EE and degraded fir would be best for her. Degraded fir is somewhat water-repellent, but not as much as cork, obv. She can easily make burrows in this.
      I have had good luck with 100% EE, 100% degraded fir, or various combos, but I really feel now, that the cork would need to be mixed w/ another sub..
      Official Tus.com 'Spider Spoiler'

Life itself is our most precious gift!

Marc's Angels:

Fuzzy - 5" MF G. rosea
      Gabby - 5.5" MM G. pulchripes
      Laila - 3" Aphono. 'NR'
      Lorenzo- MM G. pulchripes
      The babies:
      Jinx and Minx - PZB twins
      Remi - A. diversipes (R.I.P.)
      Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse handling any tarantula. ALL T's are venomous, and could bite. Handle any T at your own risk.

Click
      to view my Gallery!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marcfrick2112 For This Useful Post:

FaaFaa (01-21-2012), JumpSpidersInc (01-21-2012)