Retired Moderator

bangarang!

I am:
      Relaxed

Real (nick)name
      Mark
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      As odd a thought as this may be, I just had another idea for the larger granules. Combine them with some hot glue and you could make some interesting (and permanent) walkways or vertical structures for the T itself, live plants (latticeworks or other climbing structures) or as part of a backdrop. I wouldn't be surprised if encasing a cutting or young plant in one wouldn't give it a base that your T couldn't destroy... might even make a suitable medium for growing moss.
      This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend.
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to animalnstinct For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (01-21-2012), marcfrick2112 (01-21-2012), Noble (01-21-2012)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      That's a great idea, al! Are you going to test this out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

fatigued!

I am:
      Fiendish

Real (nick)name
      Roufie
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      this is a great find!... Although in my opinion I'd say it would be more useful for reptiles!! YET
      then again Exo-terra Coco Husk looks very similar and B you can get different densities/sizes aha

siick find!

fatigued!

I am:
      Fiendish

Real (nick)name
      Roufie
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JumpSpidersInc View Post
      That's a great idea, al! Are you going to test this out?
      for sure.... I will post some pics when it arrives HAH

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      Everyone is bringing up good points. Mixing it with EE might be a better way to go so that if a T wants to burrow it will hold up better. I also think that mixing the 2 subs will give a nice look to the enclosures. I know the Ts dont care about that, but I do! LOL
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FaaFaa For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (01-21-2012), marcfrick2112 (01-23-2012)

Retired Moderator

bangarang!

I am:
      Relaxed

Real (nick)name
      Mark
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I think I will when I can, but I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath on the when. I have four separate breeding projects I want to get moving right now since none of our past attempts have yet to be successful... it would be nice to finally have that under our belts. That's priority, but building new homes can sometimes come up at the oddest time, so who knows!
      This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend.

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      Nice find Jump. I don't think the light weight nature of this stuff would be an issue. Eco-Earth is very light as well. The water repellent aspect is the opposite of Coco-Fiber but I'm not sure what effect that would have. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't cork bark impervious to mold? That would be a plus. As far as it's being good or bad for burrowing, I think that depend on the granule size. I think I would lean toward the 3\8" size. The T's webbing is what forms the burrow and if the granules are too big the burrow might be less stable. I wonder what mixing Eco-Earth and Cork Granules would do?

Keep in mind that all of these thoughts are simply the ramblings of an old man who keeps T's. LOL
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J!m For This Useful Post:

***Beth*** (01-22-2012), JumpSpidersInc (01-22-2012), marcfrick2112 (01-23-2012)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      J!m, I am so eager to try this... I have 3 spare tanks (10-gal.) that I want to set up... one with just the cork, one with say, EE and cork, maybe one with Sphagnum and cork...

Corkbark's resistance to mold is legendary... hence the popularity of slabs and rounds for Ts. My formosa adores her round to the point that her web "paths" are all on and touching the round on the outside. She even webbed her waterdish to the round! This is what got me to thinking about the substrate idea.

Thanks to babypiggy for providing the link where I found the granulated cork!

FaaFaa emailed the company, hopefully they respond soon and FaaFaa can post the results. Thanks go to Faa Faa as well!

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

marcfrick2112 (01-23-2012)

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      I am still waiting on a reply email. I think I will email them again.

EDIT.... I ended up calling them. I talked to a wonderful lady who goes by Mare. She asked what I wanted the product for and didn't even skip a beat when I said tarantulas! She is sending me out a sample of the 3/8 granulated cork in the morning. When they say free sample they mean it too. I didn't have to pay shipping or anything. I also got a price. Keep in mind that this price has it being shipped to me so your price may be a little different. $108.06 for a 25 pound bag that is enough for 4 cubic feet.

Now can someone plese tell me how to figure out how many cubic feet I need?

She also said that she has some customers that use this product for their reptiles but they use the cork bark.
      Last edited by FaaFaa; 01-31-2012 at 04:04 PM.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      I agree with it not being a good sole sub. It would be too loose, and would hold absolutely no water at all. Meaning any water spilled would sink to the bottom of the enclosure and pool. It could make a good additive for some sub mixes.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoolman For This Useful Post:

marcfrick2112 (02-01-2012)