I wish I was as cool as Tgirl

I am:
      Wicked

Real (nick)name
      Witiko
      Tarantulas

Thanks

Lasiodora parahybana 1/8" sling care

I am meting up with a guy from http://www.michiganarachnids.com tomorrow to pick up at least 1 new T. On his site he has a Lasiodora parahybana 1/8" sling for only $8. Sounds like a good deal to me since I like the bigger cool looking Ts. But how hard is it to care for a sling that small? What would I feed him? How small of an enclosure would he need? What questions should I be asking here that I am not?
      PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUTTERS and PASTERS CLUB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hope you find it helpful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      Personally, I would not pay $8 for a 1/8" sling that you are picking up. The typical price for those is $5 at that size or even a bit larger. However, that is only a few bucks and maybe it is not worth the fuss to argue over a couple bucks.

As for their care, they are hardy Ts, and should do fine on pinhead crickets or even crick legs. From some personal experience lately, I would avoid mealworms and superworms as their fat content may contribute to cysts.

They are a fairly fast growing species, and the three, 5/8" slings I bought at an expo late last August ($5 each) are now over 3" in legspan and heading into their next molt (I suspect another 2 weeks away) in which they will likely be over 4" coming out of that molt. I am getting another one for a friend tomorrow.

As for containers, you could easily keep one in a pill-bottle-sized vial for a few molts, then move it up into containers as it has need. There is a formula expressed somewhere else on this forum helping you calculate the size container your T needs based on its legspan. There is also a thread here about containers that people have made out of various food containers in grocery stores. I have recently found and fell in love with the "Really Useful Boxes" (brand name) I found in Staples. All sorts of sizes and I have 4, .14L boxes that are currently housing my 4 Chaco slings and 2 more I will use for the Lp sling and G. pulchra sling I pick up tomorrow. And I already have .3L boxes for these as well, but after they are done with them, I intend to use them to make a display tray for multiple Ts that I can take places to show people. Just enough room for an adult spider to sit comfortably in them.

On and spray water into the container every now and then, enough to keep a corner or half of the container's substrate moist while leaving the other end dry. I have read that Lps are from more humid and cooler mountain areas, but they seem to be very hardy and it is hard to tell what their preference is in captivity.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Oh, there is an Lp fan club thread that might have more information for you. Check it out here.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

creepy crawly

I am:
      Blah

Real (nick)name
      Marc
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Witiko, that is NOT a good deal, sadly.

I paid $5 for my 1" LP (now 3" + ) AND the seller threw in a free T... It was from a member here, BTW.

1/8 " is tiny tho... I usually get slings @ 1" or better now...
      Official Tus.com 'Spider Spoiler'

Life itself is our most precious gift!

Marc's Angels:

Fuzzy - 5" MF G. rosea
      Gabby - 5.5" MM G. pulchripes
      Laila - 3" Aphono. 'NR'
      Lorenzo- MM G. pulchripes
      The babies:
      Jinx and Minx - PZB twins
      Remi - A. diversipes (R.I.P.)
      Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse handling any tarantula. ALL T's are venomous, and could bite. Handle any T at your own risk.

Click
      to view my Gallery!

Redneck

I am:
      Wicked

Real (nick)name
      Witiko
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Well now that makes me wounder if all his prices are high. Did you paying $5 +shipping for them? I was really hoping to pick up a new T today but I am not going to get ripped off for it.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Try comparing his prices with Swift's Invertibrates or Ken The Bug Guy. They should have threads in the US-seller section here.

$8 is high for an Lp sling, but let's keep this in perspective. I wouldn't go so far as to say he is ripping you off $3. It's only $3 afterall. But I would consider haggling with him and seeing if he would bring the price down. If this is par for his pricing, then obviously, I would start looking elsewhere.

HOWEVER, I will say this, don't totally discard this guy for high prices. You may not be willing to pay money for his prices, but his pricing can become an even deck if you ever have Ts you would like to TRADE him for. Based on his pricing, you can trade Ts for Ts and not get ripped off. Clear as mud?

If he prices his Ts at 60% higher than competitors, he should be willing to trade on that same level, and it is the same as if you had traded with one of the above listed dealers. The playing field becomes level again. Unless he is not willing to trade like that. If he wants to price your Ts at competitor prices while still pricing his as his inflated prices, then leave him alone and go elsewhere.

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      Some of his stuff is about normal and some is a bit high. I just looked at his site. My advice is too look at what you want and compare them to Ken and Swifty. If higher then theirs, try talking him down. Doing your homework might save you a few $. Also keep in mind though that if you are able to pick up in persom, you'll be saved the cost of shipping which in itself will save a few $. Might end up having to weigh the pros and cons.

Let us know how it goes~!!!
      --->
      --->

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

Redneck

I am:
      Wicked

Real (nick)name
      Witiko
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Curly Hair 1" MA $10 - SI $15 - Ken $20

Costa Rican Red 1/4" MA $10 - SI(3") $50 - Ken(1/2") $15

guangxiensis 1/2" MA $12 - SI(3") $40 - Ken(5") $69

Psalmopoeus cambridgei 1/2" MA $12 - SI $20 - Ken(1.75) $30

Chaco 1/2" MA $12 - SI $15 - Ken(3/4") $22

Poecilotheria pederseni 3/4" MA $20 - SI $25 - Ken(1") $25

Poecilotheria ornata 1/2" MA $25 - SI(1") $25 - Ken(1") $40

Oklahoma Brown 3" MA $25 - SI(3/4") $15 - Ken not listed

OK i was going over what I like up till the Oklahoma brown that I want to get. He seems to be under on most of them and when you minus shipping he is way under. He may not beat what I can find at a show but when you have dealers competing you are bound to get good deals.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,844 Posts
      Well, it is a bit high, but if they are the only dealer around you have to factor in that you don't have to pay shipping. I paid $5 for LPs a bit bigger at a local expo..but then again, I paid $15 for my daughter and I to get in, $20 in gas to get there and back, and $20 for Mexican food on the way home It's only $3 more than what they probably would go for. If you want it, I say get it...or two.

Redneck

I am:
      Wicked

Real (nick)name
      Witiko
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Well we have a monthly expo here that I can go to and I hear its a good one. But I found out about it the day after it was held this month so I have to wait till next month. Its $5 to get inside and about as far away as this breeder. So I have to think about all that. But getting one on one time with a local breeder may also be a good thing for the future. So I figure it will not hurt to go see him and talk to him a bit. I talked to him today and I am going to see him at 5:30pm today. I will let you know how it gose and post a review for him in the correct forum.