I am:
      Inspired

Real (nick)name
      Michael
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,113 Posts

More Widow slings ...

Advan lent me a Latrodectus hesperus sling to photograph ... a female I'm told, and a sibling of Beth's slings. Not the most obedient photo subjects!

These were taken with a Raynox dcr-250 attached to a Tokina 100mm Macro lens.

Latrodectus hesperus sling, 1.5mm legspan, 'Black Widow' by _papilio, on Flickr

Not entirely satisfied with the amount of detail I was getting, I ordered a Raynox msn-202, providing 3 times the magnification of the previous setup. Very nice, the sling now filled more than a third of the frame!
      The neon-legged aliens were photographed on a blue-tinted CD so that the strobe would reflect back up and fill the translucent legs with a color to contrast rather nicely with the pretty yellow abdomen.

Hopefully Beth will let me kidnap one of her babies next, I love the stripes on their abdomens!

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,910 Posts
      As always I LOVE your pictures! You've got it! I'll bring them to the next meetup. At least 2 of mine has stripes on them. I'm very interested to see these in a few molts.
      --->
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      --->
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      papilio, simply stunning photos! I like your shooting style! LOL, Beth will happily loan you a baby... right, Beth?????

Also, papilio... visit this thread... http://www.tarantulasus.com/showthre...here!!!/page15

I look forward to getting to know you.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

Tapahtyn (04-09-2012)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      .... and of course Beth beat me to posting... LOL

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      Awesome!

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

No status right now.

I am:
      Approved

Thanks
      hmm, pretty sure it'll take a few more molts to tell sex.

those are some great photos though, i love em!

enjoying Sarajevo

I am:
      Inspired

Real (nick)name
      Budo
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      awesome photos
      thank you for sharing

you don't need eyes to SEE, you need VISION

Feeling at home. :)

I am:
      Inspired

Real (nick)name
      Michael
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ***Beth*** View Post
      As always I LOVE your pictures! You've got it! I'll bring them to the next meetup. At least 2 of mine has stripes on them. I'm very interested to see these in a few molts.
      Thanks Beth! And I look forward to getting some shots of your slings, can't wait to see how they look 'under the microscope' ! LOL

Sorry btw that it took me a while to reply ... there was another widow photo which Chad said was his favorite, but by the time I saw that message I had already deleted it from flickr (also therefore AB) because of some annoying posterizing in the bokeh. Just finished remastering it from the RAW file.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoolman View Post
      Awesome!
      Thanks a lot Scoolman!

Quote Originally Posted by widowman10 View Post
      hmm, pretty sure it'll take a few more molts to tell sex.

those are some great photos though, i love em!
      Thanks widowman!
      What do you think about the stripes on Beth's slings? We were thinking that the significant difference in appearance between hers and the one I was lent might be sexual dimorphism.

Quote Originally Posted by zumbul91 View Post
      awesome photos
      thank you for sharing
      Thank you zumbul!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpSpidersInc View Post
      papilio, simply stunning photos! I like your shooting style! LOL, Beth will happily loan you a baby... right, Beth?????

Also, papilio... visit this thread... http://www.tarantulasus.com/showthre...here!!!/page15

I look forward to getting to know you.
      Thank you JSI!
      I already have the feeling I'm going to like this forum way more than AB ... it seems so much more personable ... Nice place!

Here's the widow pic which I was working on ...

JSI, assuming that means you're into jumpers? lol Here's one I took quickly which just happened to come across my desk one evening. Not so impressive compared to many of the spectacular jumper macros, but I can def see why they're so fascinating to photograph!

You never forget your first jumper... by _papilio, on Flickr

10. The Following User Says Thank You to papilio For This Useful Post:

advan (04-09-2012)

No status right now.

I am:
      Approved

Thanks
      hey papilio, typically males can be distinguished from females as early as 3rd instar by observing palp width! not sure what instar your little sling is though. check this out, there's some stuff about distinguishing sexes in there somewhere.

https://sites.google.com/site/widowm...-widow-species

Feeling at home. :)

I am:
      Inspired

Real (nick)name
      Michael
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by widowman10 View Post
      hey papilio, typically males can be distinguished from females as early as 3rd instar by observing palp width! not sure what instar your little sling is though. check this out, there's some stuff about distinguishing sexes in there somewhere.

https://sites.google.com/site/widowm...-widow-species
      Thanks for the link widowman, really interesting ... and incredible about sexing by palp width!!
      Under the description of hesperus males it speaks of abdominal stripes ... even at this early age, do you think that could be what Beth has been referring to? Just curious.

Beth, you believe these to be 2nd instar, am I remembering that correctly?
      Last edited by papilio; 04-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.