• Crappy
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giant Madagascar Hissing roaches care sheet

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Sorry, I kind of worded my question wrong. Do you find that the high humidity is necessary for breeding and survival or is it just for a more natural and ideal environment?

Noble Member

Proud ornata sac puller!

I am:
      Cheerful

Real (nick)name
      Noble
      Tarantulas
      yes please

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PSU21 View Post
      Sorry, I kind of worded my question wrong. Do you find that the high humidity is necessary for breeding and survival or is it just for a more natural and ideal environment?
      yes it's a must I tried to breed them for about 3 months I had trouble with the humidity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Dude Guy Man Bro Himselfy

creepy crawly

I am:
      Blah

Real (nick)name
      Marc
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Yes, high humidity is a MUST for hissers. I would say 90% or better... I will allow the substrate to dry JUST SLIGHTLY, but I try to mist every day. I believe it is lack of humidity in most homes, that prevents escaped hissers from breeding. After a thorough misting, and occasionally some water poured in the bottom of the tank, the hum. may be as much as 98%, and my roaches seem fine with this.
      Official Tus.com 'Spider Spoiler'
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life itself is our most precious gift!

Marc's Angels:

Fuzzy - 5" MF G. rosea
      Gabby - 5.5" MM G. pulchripes
      Laila - 3" Aphono. 'NR'
      Lorenzo- MM G. pulchripes
      The babies:
      Jinx and Minx - PZB twins
      Remi - A. diversipes (R.I.P.)
      Disclaimer: This forum does not endorse handling any tarantula. ALL T's are venomous, and could bite. Handle any T at your own risk.

Click
      to view my Gallery!

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      I've been trying my hand at raising dubia roaches, but they escape my T's by digging so quickly, that they're just not working out as feeders very well. Do the hissers have the same problem? I'm willing to invest in new tanks and heaters, if hissers can replace crickets for me...

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts
      they'll get em.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pan60 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (12-21-2015)

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      if hungry your T will find the dubia. Hissers burrow also, are fantastic escape artists as they can climb very well, slow growing, slow breeding(until you get a large colony going). But, they do make a good mouthful as feeders. Humidity is a must, good air flow, temps above 75F, protein supplement(i use ground cat food) or they will canabalize.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoolman For This Useful Post:

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts
      I guess I have had better luck then others with my Hissers, my stay around 70, no humidity, and although they are slow they breed just fine?

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pan60 For This Useful Post:

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
      I guess I have had better luck then others with my Hissers, my stay around 70, no humidity, and although they are slow they breed just fine?
      The lower temp and humidity will slow down prodcution, but they will thrive none-the-less. Two years ago I let mine cool over the winter, today my colony is half the size and they still have not returned to normal production.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scoolman For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (12-21-2015), pan60 (12-24-2015)

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      I have a heated blanket around my new 10gal, which helps to keep it warm inside. I keep a nice water dish inside, and mist almost daily, while keeping seran wrap over half the lid, to keep moisture in.

I picked up 6 adults from the pet store, and I think they're all female... They all hide, except for the biggest one, who likes to hang out on the lid. They have plain cheerios, cat food, and get fresh fruit or veggies almost daily. They must really need a man, because they all seem so unhappy. Lol

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      What do you do to keep humidity up on these? Do you use substrate?

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.