• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Probability of Getting a Particular Gender

Solving problems with a Nerf
      gun.

I am:
      Curious

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I don't plan on having a large collection but intend to mate my A. geniculata because it's part of what I consider to be a full life. In the wild, they would be able to mate with the wandering males. In captivity, they don't get the opportunity unless you go out looking for them. Depending on how my little N. chromatus turn out (I got 3 based on Scoolman's chart, so I have good odds of a female) the boys will go out for dates and the girls will have dates when I can get mature males that aren't their brother(s). If all my Ts turn out to be girls, that's a lot of dates to find.

Unlike most breeders, I probably won't be all torn up if my girls munch their sacs. It's their choice. Should I end up with viable sacs, there will be quite a few "slings to good home" once they hit 2nd instar.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.
      ------------
      1.0.0 A. geniculata "Alice"
      0.1.0 A. geniculata "Ozzy"
      0.1.0 N. Chromatus "Winky"
      0.0.1 P. Antinous "No name yet"

Pokie Patrone Extrordinar

I am:
      Fine

Real (nick)name
      Rick Blauman
      Tarantulas
      Hundreds

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Elsbeth76 View Post
      Unlike most breeders, I probably won't be all torn up if my girls munch their sacs. It's their choice. Should I end up with viable sacs, there will be quite a few "slings to good home" once they hit 2nd instar.
      When they eat their egg sacs, that would usually mean that the conditions are not what they need (too much disturbance, vibrations, or stress) or the eggs have started to go bad (not enough ventilation, too damp, too cool, etc). Could mean incomplete fertilization too. I'm sure that not all egg sacs in the wild make it either, but the vast majority probably do. I would think that when a female eats her sac, it's not what she wanted either. A discarded sac would decay and draw ants, flies, and other unwelcome pests, so at least she can recycle it's nutrients and food value.

There's advantages to pulling a sac and incubating it yourself, especially if it's a rare/valuable species. It takes a little more effort on the keeper's part though. But if you leave a sac with the female, you have to watch that the hatchlings don't unexpectedly start dispersing through the cage's airholes.
      Last edited by Poec54; 10-10-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      Lets rehash this thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      ------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      Good idea!

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.