So SLEEEEEPY!!

I am:
      Sleepy

Real (nick)name
      Nate
      Tarantulas

Thanks

Albino Tarantula

I looked and surprisingly couldn't find anything on this subject. Is there such a think as an Albino Tarantula? Can they even be Albino? Just thought I'd see what you all thought.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to evilkarot For This Useful Post:

lawrence b (01-20-2013)

Super pulchra Mod

Tarantulas....Tarantulas for
      sale......Get your Tarantulas
      here

I am:
      Approved

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,402 Times in 997 Posts
      Nope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      ------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

Sings "One is the
      loneliest number" in the
      chat box when alone.

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Albinism requires skin and skin pigment. T's have no skin, they have an exoskelliton. So no, no such thing as an albino tarantula.
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 09-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
      That's how it begins. I'm sorry to say...but you caught the fever. There's no cure except more T's.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NoLongerNoobish For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (09-19-2012)

So SLEEEEEPY!!

I am:
      Sleepy

Real (nick)name
      Nate
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      They have Hair, which has pigment, So why couldn't there be Albinism in the Tarantula species? I understand that they don't have skin, but they still have pigment in their exoskeletons and hair. Could a Tarantula NOT be born without this pigment?

Administrator

R.I.P., Wayne.

I am:
      Sad

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,185 Times in 3,636 Posts
      Actually, it's not hair, it's "setae". These are hollow and refract light. I will try to find a paper that describes this in detail.

I too was fascinated by this very subject of pigmentation of spiders.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Approved

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,415 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NoLongerNoobish View Post
      Albinism requires skin and skin pigment. T's have no skin, they have an exoskelliton. So no, no such thing as an albino tarantula.
      That was my understanding too.

Great question though EK. Thanks for asking.

Will be anxious to see Jump's paper...

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Administrator

R.I.P., Wayne.

I am:
      Sad

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Been a while, and had it saved on old PC... I have to search for it again.

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,719 Posts
      Albinism (from Latin albus, "white"; see extended etymology, also called achromia, achromasia, or achromatosis) is a congenital disorder characterized by the complete or partial absence of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes due to absence or defect of tyrosinase, a copper-containing enzyme involved in the production of melanin. .............. While an organism with complete absence of melanin is called an albino ( /Šlˈbaɪnoʊ/
      Found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino

--------------
      Tyrosinase

.............Tyrosinase, refers to an oxidase, which is the rate limiting enzyme for controlling the production of melanin. It is mainly involved in two distinct reactions of melanin synthesis...........
      found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosinase

--------------------
      Melanin.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin

Spiders are one of the few groups in which it has not been detected.
      Melanin Not found in the spider = no albino's possible due to not being a defect
      Last edited by ***Beth***; 09-19-2012 at 08:11 PM.
      --->
      --->

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ***Beth*** For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (09-19-2012)

Administrator

“Perhaps it's impossible
      to wear an identity without
      becoming what you pretend to
      be.” - Orson Scott Card
      - Ender's Game

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Beth
      Tarantulas
      A few

Thanks
      Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,719 Posts
      Bump - I edited the above post for more in depth info
      --->
      --->

Live each day as if it were your last. Cherish the beauty of your surroundings and see the life ever present around you. Find the joy nature provides by the simple act of being aware.

Administrator

R.I.P., Wayne.

I am:
      Sad

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thank you, Beth! I still can't locate that one paper I wanted to show.