Learning

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Jeff
      Tarantulas

Thanks

Humidity

Hi, I live in Utah and it is a cold here this year and the humidity is very low. I built some new habitats put Bio-balls under the sub-strate which was a mixture or eco-earth, orchid mix and some spaghnum moss mixed in for fun. My question is, I have a temp of 80.4 and a humidity of 42. How do I increase my humidity to 75 or 80 percent that everyone claims I need.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      What kind of ts do you have? Limiting ventilation and increasing water in the enclosure will up the humidity. Wetting the sub, big water dish, and humidifier in the room are all things that come to mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Learning

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Jeff
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      These are two new habitats I made out of a 10 gallon tank. I have no T's in the right now. I am just trying to figure out how to get 75 percent humidity in the enclosures.

MMMM spamushi!

I am:
      Mischevious

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Usually I just eyeball how it looks depending on the species. If a species needs more humidity just decrease some ventilation with packing tape or saran wrap. In all reality I've got no idea how humid it is in my enclosures but I've been pretty successful for almost two years now. It's not an exact science.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SiCe For This Useful Post:

Tgirl1010 (01-23-2013)

Learning

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Jeff
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      OK Thanks I thought humidity was more critical than that.

Banned

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

Humidification.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
      Hi, I live in Utah and it is a cold here this year and the humidity is very low. I built some new habitats put Bio-balls under the sub-strate which was a mixture or eco-earth, orchid mix and some spaghnum moss mixed in for fun. My question is, I have a temp of 80.4 and a humidity of 42. How do I increase my humidity to 75 or 80 percent that everyone claims I need.
      Your temp is perfect (79 - 81F).

As for the humidity number, yes it's low, but at least it's not 15! LOL In fact, most captive T's live near to 40 if the owner tries hard to increase the RH. I think you are doing well.

I did an experiment where I put a one-quart glass bowl of water in the middle of the cage (cage is 12 X 36). I lowered a 75 watt spotlight down to just six inches from the top of the water, and noted the reading on the humidistat. But the water vapor condensed on the glass and semingly not on the substrate or the T. In the end, the water on the walls ran down and wet the substrate. If I left the habitat in such high wetness, mold would soon grow on the ground.

I've done what I can. there is water reachable to the T, and I often wet part of the substrate. Cranky Boy does not seem to notice whether he is standing on wet soil or dry soil. When I actively care for the environment, the humidity gets up to 30 or 40. Right now it's 20, so I've been neglecting my T. Gotta fix that.

Clffd

run my lil lovelies!

I will not buy more Ts. I will
      not buy more Ts.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Nikki
      Tarantulas
      I have a few...

Thanks
      I too don't fuss with humidity all too much...I have four enclosures that I watch and keep a bit higher, but eh...misting and the water dish in the middle of my versicolor tank works great.

"gregery: wait... Mommy piggy... your a man?
      mommypiggy: yes... lol
      mommypiggy: i'ma man
      mommypiggy: woMAN"

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      I use a plastic flower pot cut in half...cover that with moss (spaghnum) and pour water on the moss...this set-up creates an area that acts like a humid tent...I use this for my Theraphosa's...keeps humidity levels quite high. I look inside the pot on the roof to see the condensation formed...when the condensation starts evaporating then I pour water on the moss to raise humidity levels. Regulating humidity this way is very easy ...I usually pour an 8 ounce cup of water once a week for a 5 gallon and 1.5-2 cups for a ten gallon...depending on how dry the season is...sometimes more sometimes less. For my Lasiodora's/genics I use the half pot but with no moss for less humidity. Hope this helps!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

J!m (04-22-2013), santac (04-22-2013), The Nature Geek (06-18-2013)

Brachypelma Lover

I am:
      Amazed

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ranchibi View Post
      I use a plastic flower pot cut in half...cover that with moss (spaghnum) and pour water on the moss...this set-up creates an area that acts like a humid tent...
      This is why I love this site. You can learn so much from it's members. Great idea. I simply put the moss on top of the ecoearth and like this much better. Crickets seemed to like to hide in the moss, this way it is more difficult for them. Thanks
      0.2.0 Brachypelma sabulosum - WC Manuela,Lola 1.0.0 Brachypelma emilia - Ferd
      1.0.2 Brachypelma smithi - Frank
      0.1.0 Brachypelma albiceps - Kathy 0.2.0 Brachypelma boehmei - Sofia, Sintia
      1.1.0 Grammostola rosea - NCF - Gramma Espi, Grampa Jim
      0.0.1 Avicularia versicolor 0.0.1 G.B.B.
      0.0.1 Grammostola rosea RCF 0.0.1 Brachypelma Curlyhair
      0.0.1 Lasiodora parahybana

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      I really like Ranchibi's method too. Ranchibi, could you post pics of your invention? Perhaps you could give us a step-by-step on how to make it. Do you have any problems with prey items getting in there and drowning? Why is the grass green? How come the sky is blue in the daytime and black at night? ................. Ooops! Sorry, I got a little excited I guess.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!