Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      Well, my update is that I never did get to pair them up again. But I have had her in a cooler room and even in the last week or two, she has been sitting under an open window where it dips into the 50s at night. From what ohers have told me, I think this is ideal.
      I wish I could remember the details someone told me (in chat I believe) about bringing her out of brummation. Soak her cage? Feed her again and bring her back to warmer temps?

And if the pairing was unsuccessful, I guess I will be trying again.

Thank you all for the advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I have returned her to her place on the T shelf (where it is warmer), and have soaked her cage after having her in a cooler environment for maybe 6 weeks. It got cooler as time went on (according to the instructions I was told).

Now, she is in her cage, but doesn't seem to be hungry at all. Is that normal for a gravid rosie?

However, she is barely beginning to look fatter.

It has been 4 months since I paired them. Is this too early to expect her to progress?

And I read that I need to avoid disturbing her when she is carrying a sac. Does that mean after she has dropped a sac, I need to keep her undisturbed?

Any pointers at this point are greatly appreciated.

Also, I was told she needs deep substrate in which she can lay her sac. I am guessing I should give her more substrate sooner than later (only 2" in there at the moment).s

Thanks for your help.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,844 Posts
      Well I don't have a RCF but I have a G rosea. I have paired my female 2 years in a row. The first time I paired them in the fall and she made a sac the next May. I pulled it at 28 days when I found her eating it. Most of it was eaten but in the sticky mess that I got away from her, there were some eggs with legs so the sac was good. She then molted around July. I paired her again a couple months after that which was last Fall. This May, she made another sac. I had decided to pull it in about 2 weeks to hopefull avoid her eating it. Well on the second day she was finishing it off when I looked in on her So, I am not one to give a lot of advice, but I did get her to lay two sacs. I didn't really do anything different, it was just naturally getting warmer and the days longer. I will say that I have her in a 10g filled about 3/4" or more with substrate and she dug a good bit when it was sac time and made the sac down in the big hole she dug. (Run on sentence alert).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (06-20-2013)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanks TG. That is helpful. Can I ask, do roseas eat leading up to when they drop the sac?

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Does this eggsac make me look fat?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5589a Sheba's bum.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	49650

I found her to be very fussy tonight, even throwing a threat pose.

How will I know when she is really close to laying a sac? this girl has a history of eating sacs, so at Scoolman's suggestion, I may pull the sac immediately and incubate.

Retired Moderator

bangarang!

I am:
      Relaxed

Real (nick)name
      Mark
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I'm not sure if you will get much notice, except for the possibility that if she takes a lot of care laying the mat you may get a few hours advance warning. Good luck, I hope it works out!
      This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to animalnstinct For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (10-01-2013)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ManlyMan7 View Post

Name:	IMG_5589a Sheba's bum.jpg 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	49650

Name:	IMG_6332a Sheba.jpg 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	49913

This is just two weeks later, and she looks even bigger. I hope she doesn't explode before she drops this sac!

How much bigger will she get?

With her this big, I am confident she has to be preggo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

jackstraw (10-28-2013)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks

She has dropped a sac! I repeat, she has dropped a sac!

Now the waiting game, which will be frustratingly slow since she has ever eaten any previous sacs.

I have been careful to move her to a quiet corner (if there is such a thing) in my tiny home office. But I am still worried I will disturb her. I was told no flashes, so I have been careful not to bug her by shining lights in there to see what is going on, but thankfully, she dropped her sac in a front corner of the cage.

Now, I made quite the mess on my office floor last night mixing peat and eco-earth, and now I am wondering if I have to wait a month before I can vacuum that up so as not to disturb her. Any thoughts?

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,844 Posts
      Congrats!! I would be scared to vacuum. Maybe you could try to sweep up as much as possible?

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I am scared to vacuum too. I have thought about leaving the canister outside my office, and bringing the hose in (it will reach), to suck it all up.

I made quite the mess.

Also, I was wondering if playing some soothing classical music might help her moods and keep her from getting the munchies? It is very beneficial for humans too (whether one appreciates it or not).

I can tell already that this 30-day wait will feel like an eternity.