Super Fantastic!

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Brett
      Tarantulas

Thanks

Food preference?

Here's a dumb question for you all-is it remotely possible for T's to have preferences regarding their food, or to get used to a certain prey item? I was wondering because I've given Terry a grand total of two superworms, and a bunch more crickets, in the time I've had him/her. Now that (s)he feeds in front of me, I've noticed that Terry takes superworms fairly calmly, but (s)he demolishes crickets. I've taken into account that the superworms move differently than the crickets, but I wanted to see what you all thought?
      0.0.1 Lasiodora parahybana-Terry
      0.0.1 Pelinobius muticus-I.R.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      Crickets tend to get a better food response than anything IMO. Some ts will eat anything that moves, but some I have will take a cricket when they won't take a roach or a worm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      All my Ts will go nuts over crickets. A few love suprworms, but I feed those sparing as a "treat", to vary their diet a bit. As I live in FL, I can't feed them roaches. (can't keep them, and most local roaches here are fliers and great climbers)

My rosea actually will dig for superworms, and seems to relish doing so. I can track the burrowing worms by watching the rosea.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      offer a hungry T both a worm and cricket at the same time and see if one item is taken over the other.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      Oh scoolman this is a great and simple idea! I may just have to try this!
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      do it about 50 times and look any sort of consistency.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

Getting ready to wrestle a
      grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      Some Ts are real particular what they will accept, others are garbage guts - will take anything offered. I picked up some hornworms and silkworms last weekend as a treat for my Ts. Some of them saw the new food as treats (or just something else to stuff in their maws), others wouldn't touch the new stuff.

Pokie Patrone Extrordinar

I am:
      Fine

Real (nick)name
      Rick Blauman
      Tarantulas
      Hundreds

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JumpSpidersInc View Post
      All my Ts will go nuts over crickets. A few love suprworms, but I feed those sparing as a "treat", to vary their diet a bit. As I live in FL, I can't feed them roaches. (can't keep them, and most local roaches here are fliers and great climbers
      You don't want to be feeding your spiders anything caught locally, due to exposure to outdoor chemicals used by your neighbors. Many areas also spray pesticides by plane for mosquito control. Roaches are a great item for variety, just use the non-native, non-climbing species.

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      I think that Jump was just saying that the options that we FL residents have in keeping roaches are not that great