• Vegged out
  • Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy

Thread: How much space does a tarantula need?

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Approved

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,359 Posts

How much space does a tarantula need?

How much space do I need to make available for a tarantula?

How small is too small for a tarantula?

Is there such a thing as too big a cage for it?

Are there different needs between species? Do arboreal species need less floor space than terrestrials? So burrowers need more or less space than ones that don't burrow?

Is there such a thing as too much vertical space for a T?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

No status right now.

I am:
      Asleep

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ManlyMan7 View Post
      How much space do I need to make available for a tarantula?
      I belive the rule of thumb is 2.5 times the legspan by 3 time the legspan. so a 4" T would need 9" by 12" space to be good.

How small is too small for a tarantula?
      i go by the rule of thumb. once they grow to big for an enclousre they get a new one.

Is there such a thing as too big a cage for it?
      I dont think so. as long as the can find food and water.

Are there different needs between species?
      yes, it depends on if they are ground dewelers or arboreal. grounders need more floor space to move, tree lovers need more height than floor space.

Do arboreal species need less floor space than terrestrials?
      Yes, they like high places. give them a nice tall tank and some fake or real plants and they will make themsevles at home.

So burrowers need more or less space than ones that don't burrow?
      burrowers need deep substright so they can dig their tunnels. you use the same rule of thumb for tank size but fill the tank 3/4 the way full with sub.

Is there such a thing as too much vertical space for a T?
      maby. i keep my abults in 10 or 20 gallon tanks on their side. i wouldnt use a 100 gallon tank, just because the falling distance is to great for my taste.

hope this helps....

dale

Super pulchra Mod

Tarantulas....Tarantulas for
      sale......Get your Tarantulas
      here

I am:
      Approved

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,385 Times in 986 Posts
      Look at the huge open world they live in and then ask those same questions.
      The question isn't how much space do "they" need, but how much space are "we" willing to provide and maintain.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

ARACHNOCHEF

cookin under pressure

I am:
      Daring

Tarantulas
      This list would be long.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scoolman View Post
      The question isn't how much space do "they" need, but how much space are "we" willing to provide and maintain.
      This is my take on this question too. How much space can you provide?? Can you replicate the natural environment they come from?
      I know a little bit about everything and a lot about nothing!
      SN2itch
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Approved

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,359 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Scoolman View Post
      Very good point. A perspective that tarantula hobbiests need.

I still think the questions are valid though, especially for someone just entering into the hobby and needing to know the requirements for their pet. I think the minimum space has been answered here, but anyone want to chime in on height requirements/restrictions? I am thinking in particular about the risk of falling and serious injury for larger terrestrial Ts, but could also be a valid question for arboreals (I know these guys live in trees!)
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 06-19-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

Sings "One is the
      loneliest number" in the
      chat box when alone.

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      This is a good Q to pop up now because I'm thinking of doing a tank swap between my Vagans and my Rosie. But my Rosie would have to go in a 10 gal and I still think she's a little too small for one. She's 4 inches and looks so small and lost in a 10. XD Is a 10 gal o.k. for a Rosie that small?
      That's how it begins. I'm sorry to say...but you caught the fever. There's no cure except more T's.

Walk Alone

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by NoLongerNoobish View Post
      This is a good Q to pop up now because I'm thinking of doing a tank swap between my Vagans and my Rosie. But my Rosie would have to go in a 10 gal and I still think she's a little too small for one. She's 4 inches and looks so small and lost in a 10. XD Is a 10 gal o.k. for a Rosie that small?
      I just answered the OP in such great detail and the forum deleted it before I was finished. Not the first time that has happened.

Not reposting, but to answer your question, Noob, I think it will be fine as long as it isn't too cluttered with decor that the crickets could hide before the spider can get to them. You don't clutter your enclosures anyway.

Getting ready to wrestle a
      grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      70 ish

Thanks
      I think enclosure size is dependent on the individual keeper and the individual tarantula. My 3.5" 0.0.1 pet rock G. rosea would be perfectly happy in a 4" cube. My 5" 0.1.0 'ridge-runner' G. rosea would utilize a 50 gal tank. Both are currently in large KKs. I would like to offer as much space as each individual is comfortable with, which may change as some of the slings and juvies grow. I also don't want to routinely spend hours locating each T and leftover food boluses in "oversized" enclosures. I think the big thing is to offer appropriate enclosure height and substrate depth dependent on T type. Current recommendations are to have more floor space and less head room for terrestrials, less head room and more 'strate depth for fossorials, and more height for arboreals.

Many wild Brachypelmas have been documented to have burrows up to 18" deep with various 'rooms'. Obviously this would be difficult to duplicate in the average captive environment, especially with multiple Ts to provide for. We can only do the best we can and hope it is satisfactory for the Ts.

I recently rehoused a less than one inch A. genic from its 40 dram "infant vial" to a 4X cube with almost 3" of substrate. I initially thought I might have upgraded it a bit prematurely. It LOVES its additional space - has made an elaborate burrow and is much more calm, less flighty than when in a much smaller space. One of my B. emelias (~1.75"), rehoused months ago to a small KK, would probably like to go back in its deli cup. The other four emelias (same sac, same size, same enclosures) settled in well to their bigger digs.

Sings "One is the
      loneliest number" in the
      chat box when alone.

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Walk Alone View Post
      I just answered the OP in such great detail and the forum deleted it before I was finished. Not the first time that has happened.

Not reposting, but to answer your question, Noob, I think it will be fine as long as it isn't too cluttered with decor that the crickets could hide before the spider can get to them. You don't clutter your enclosures anyway.
      O.k. that's what I thought. Thanks. My Rosie does'nt eat alot anyways, but if I do the swap I'll try not to provide too many places for crickets to hide.
      That's how it begins. I'm sorry to say...but you caught the fever. There's no cure except more T's.