• Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I ship an adult tarantula?

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by taddict View Post
      In this weather I would add a cold pack in the box!
      I asked the reciever (a very experienced trader/shipper) if I should use one, and he said no. Of course, we are talking about western Canada where it is significantly cooler.

Thankfully, he tells me the T arrived "very alive" and that I had done an "awesome packing job!"

I have been anxious to get this thread completed as a resource for this forum and am glad I can complete it today!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

britsnana (02-24-2015)

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      I am currently experimenting with the same basic packing idea presented by manlyman, using cool packs to beat this heat wave. As of yet I have been unable to keep the interior of the box between 60-80 beyond the 18-20 hour mark. At the 18-20 hour mark the interior of the box begins to closely match the external air temp. The average daily air temp is running 96 highs and 83 lows. The interior of a shipping truck can get to well over 110 during the day as they run their route.
      In short, with the current heat wave a tarantula shipped in a foam lined box will throughly cooked by the 24 hour mark.
      If anyone has any ideas or knowledge to contribute please do. If we can come up with a packing method can withstand 100F over a 24 period we will save the lives of countless tarantulas being shipped during the summer months.
      Yes, I will be posting the experiment results, materials, procedures, and methods when I am done(currently running Trial 6).

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scoolman View Post
      I am currently experimenting with the same basic packing idea presented by manlyman, using cool packs to beat this heat wave. As of yet I have been unable to keep the interior of the box between 60-80 beyond the 18-20 hour mark. At the 18-20 hour mark the interior of the box begins to closely match the external air temp. The average daily air temp is running 96 highs and 83 lows. The interior of a shipping truck can get to well over 110 during the day as they run their route.
      In short, with the current heat wave a tarantula shipped in a foam lined box will throughly cooked by the 24 hour mark.
      If anyone has any ideas or knowledge to contribute please do. If we can come up with a packing method can withstand 100F over a 24 period we will save the lives of countless tarantulas being shipped during the summer months.
      Yes, I will be posting the experiment results, materials, procedures, and methods when I am done(currently running Trial 6).
      Love the experimentation! As you are testing the box, I am assuming you are spraying down the papertowels in the container? I believe the water helps there too.

Speaking of water, I know it is heavy, but it does have an incredibly high specific heat and can thus absorb much heat and slow the temperature rise. The cool packs have water in them (right?). but perhaps some other water bags of some sort in the box too. And even spraying down the packing material (in my case, newspaper).

Furthermore, while it may get over 110 in the truck, the entire journey won't be that high. Cooler temps on the plane and other handling stations for sure. Still, it's that last leg that gets the T.

Just thinking out loud...

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

run my lil lovelies!

I will not buy more Ts. I will
      not buy more Ts.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Nikki
      Tarantulas
      I have a few...

Thanks

I did the same as Marc did with the wrapping around the cup...I was told that when doing it, pack the cup not the t...the t will make itself small enough to fit into it and be comfortable too. So thats what I did. Lol.

I got him in and noticed a little more space then I wanted so when I took him back out I made
      It smaller.

Made the little plug, and everything just kinda fits. I don't think he will be getting jostled. I'm going to line the box with styro and shredded paper, wrap the heat pack and tape it to the bottom, off to the side of the box.

"gregery: wait... Mommy piggy... your a man?
      mommypiggy: yes... lol
      mommypiggy: i'ma man
      mommypiggy: woMAN"

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,844 Posts
      It looks great Nikki.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

Nikki1970 (04-01-2013)

Sings "One is the
      loneliest number" in the
      chat box when alone.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Man's box is a little large for such a small shipment. Not that it's a bad thing, but the larger the box the more money it takes to ship. I, personally, for a single little male I just get a box that leaves enough room for the container and a good amount of cushioning and support so the container doesn't move much at all.
      That's how it begins. I'm sorry to say...but you caught the fever. There's no cure except more T's.

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Gonna revive this thread as someone may have need of it.

As NLN said, my first shipment was definitely overkill, but one does need insulation, a very cushy inside container, and in cooler months, a heat pack (72-hour is recommended). Apart from size of containers, the basic setup above is still good.

The LP I shipped above could have gone in a smaller deli cup as well.

A few warnings though.

First, it is a good idea to separate (i.e. with news paper or a sheet of styrofoam, etc.) the Ts from the heat pad. The aim is to keep them from getting too cold, but you also don't want to over heat them.

Second, if you don't have a 72-hour heat pack (or even a 48-hour) get one. Do NOT try to use a number shorter-life heat packs. This will NOT add up to longer hours of heat for the Ts, but to higher temps, and in the end, you will cook the Ts.

Third, if you ship slings in large straw sections with cotton or other stuffers on the ends, do NOT moisten the stuffers on the end. This will create too much moisture and wind up drowning your slings (learned that one the hard way).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

KcFerry (02-02-2015), Tgirl1010 (02-02-2015)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      Bravo! Excellent packing ManlyMan7!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

"You all know me...You
      know what I do for a
      livin!"

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Kevin
      Tarantulas
      40ish

Thanks
      Very useful thread.
      Are we allowed to post links to places for shipping supplies here?
      The biggest question I get is where to get insulated boxes, vials and hot/cold packs.

Great minds discuss ideas
      Average minds discuss events
      Simple minds discuss people

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by KcFerry View Post
      Are we allowed to post links to places for shipping supplies here?
      Yep.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

britsnana (02-25-2015)