• Crappy

Thread: Arboreal or Terrestrial?

My albums keep disappearing!

I am:
      Meh

Tarantulas

Thanks

Arboreal or Terrestrial?

I am new to owning tarantulas and I am wondering of someone can explain the difference between an arboreal enclosure or a terrestrial enclosure? How do I decide what I need to buy?

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      An arboreal enclosure is more tall than wide (height is more important), and have some resemblance to tree-dwelling fauna. For these, one can use a piece of corkbark to simulate the side of a tree, with leaves/vines for webbing stability. I'll add pics to show you.

A terrestrial enclosure will be more wide than tall and will resemble some sort of ground (usually EcoEarth, peat moss, etc.). I'll add a pic or 2 of that as well. Terrestrials usually have a hide (or something they can burrow under. Waterdishes are included for older Ts.

What type of Ts are you looking to make enclosures for? If you specify which, I'm sure members will post pics of their setups.

BRB with a few pics.
      Last edited by JumpSpidersInc; 07-14-2013 at 01:03 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

pan60 (07-14-2013), Scoolman (07-15-2013), Tgirl1010 (07-13-2013), VannaM (07-13-2013)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      OK. Took me a while to "dig up" some pics.

Here's an Arboreal one that J!m made for me. My Avic.
      versicolor now resides in it.

Here's a simple arboreal setup for my then-juvenile P. cambridgei: (a 1-gallon)

Here is a very simple terrestrial setup. I hadn't
      yet put the B. emilia's waterdish in. Enclosure was a
      large KK (Kritter Keeper).

I hope this helps some!

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

Scoolman (07-15-2013), Tgirl1010 (07-13-2013)

My albums keep disappearing!

I am:
      Meh

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Lasiodora parahybana. They in no way need an enclosure now, but I am trying to learn as much as I possibly can before they do. I know that as they grow I will need to change the size of the enclosure, how often does this need to happen? When do I decide that enough growth has taken place in order to purchase a permanent home for the T's? What do I use for each stage of growth? Different sized KK containers or Tupperware dishes? I am trying to think in terms of economics. I have 4 of them at the same stage of life, my desire is to get them large enough to sex them and keep a female then sell or give away the rest. I may want 4 at some point but I do not think I want 4 of the same kind.

Tarantula Shaver

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Real (nick)name
      KJ
      Tarantulas
      about 100

Thanks
      Simply put, arboreal means it lives in the trees. Terrestrial means it lives on the ground. Your enclosure should provide them with the appropriate habitat. L. parahybana are definitely terrestrial. Once they get half the size of the enclosure you can bump them up. They need a lot less space than you would think. So if you have them in a 2" diameter container, you can keep them in it until they get about an inch in legspan. There is no need to spend a lot on containers. Gladware/ziplock containers are cheap and work really well. I am currently keeping some 3-4 inch Ts in the big 9.5 cup size ziplock container (9"X5" floor space) I can keep them in it until they are around 5" in legspan, possibly a bit more. Most of my larger Ts, that are around 6" are in shoebox size sterilite containers, which cost $1 each. I only have a couple in larger aquariums for looks. Most are just kept basic. The tarantula doesn't know the difference.

L. parahybana are going to get up to about 10", so eventually it is going to need to be put in something the size of a 20L aquarium.

You have a great desire to learn everything you can, right now, which I am very happy about. I highly recommend you buy the book, "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stanly Schultz. It is the T keepers "bible". It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about tarantulas. Look for it at Amazon.com.

I'll upload some pics in a minute.
      -KJ

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheVez2 For This Useful Post:

Tarantula Shaver

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Real (nick)name
      KJ
      Tarantulas
      about 100

Thanks
      containers for spiderlings, the tall vials are arboreal setups. Blue lidded container is a peanut butter jar.

A variety of cages for medium size (1"-3") tarantulas. I don't buy KKs any more. I go for cheaper options.

Terrestrial (sterilite & Ziplock)

Arboreal (pretzel container & parmesan cheese container)

Basic terrestrial setup

Larger decorative terrestrial enclosure.

Large decorative arboreal enclosure
      -KJ

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheVez2 For This Useful Post: