Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      As for when to molt, tiny baby slings (spiderlings) molt a few days after turning dark, whereas large, adult Ts may take up to three weeks.

Generally, it seems to be about a week or so. I find as I chart my Ts feedings and molts that I can usually add a day or two from the "dark" period before the previous molt and fairly accurately guess when their molt will be (which day). So, each successive molt will take a day or two longer than the previous in terms of how long they are dark before molting.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Kelly
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Well, the person we received her from, says she should molt an day now (and he has more experience that I do), I got more information by reading your post than anything. So at this point it is on the calendar when she last ate (Friday), which took her a long time for her, but whatever, so now I figure just sit back and watch kind of thing. If she molts, than great. If not, then she will eat in another week and a half or so. kind of learning as I go just trying to be safe about the whole thing. The desire for another T is pretty great right now, just trying to figure out which one I want to get.

On summer break before
      starting the nursing program!

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Careful, apparently it's addictive!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ann333 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (03-01-2015), KellyJo (03-01-2015)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      I thought I would update this thread a bit, and hopefully hear back from a few of you who posted here but haven't been on in a while.

My 8" Acanthoscurria geniculata molted today. She was actually quite energetic about it too. She was on her back for maybe 6 hours, and when she started the molt, she wasn't playing around.

But as she got her old skin off her belly, my heart sank to see a pool of hemolymph on her chest.

Thankfully, I have had two other molt issues this year that resulted in other Ts bleeding out maybe twice as much blood (though not half the size), and surviving. So I didn't panic.

Still, what was going on?

She was finished with all but the R3 leg before I could see that it was stuck. She managed to pull it out maybe half an inch, but it wasn't going further.

I decided to leave her alone and see what she would do. She struggled to flip over later, and I did help her there, but after some time, I finally noticed her old exo was separated from her. I looked, and as I had figured, she dropped the leg.

I am disappointed to have her minus a leg, especially at her size seeing it could be 3-4 years before she looks complete again, but I am thankful that is all it appears to be.

Moral of the story, don't totally panic if your molting T starts to bleed, even a lot. Just patiently wait and see what happens. Make sure her water dish is full, and just wait. You may be surprised that she pulls through.
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 09-16-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (09-16-2015), Tgirl1010 (09-16-2015)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      I'm so sorry to hear about your genic losing her leg while molting......she is still a beautiful large girl
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (09-16-2015)

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      Poor girl. I am glad she's doing okay though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (09-16-2015)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      Isn't it amazing that spiders can regen a lost limb? So fascinating. Glad she was able to get thru her molt, tho.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.