I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks

Wanting a Centipede next...

I've gotten into the Tarantulas pretty hard and fast, so I'm mixing it up a bit and going for something a little different. If I hold off a few months, then I can visit the dealer on my way home from visiting family, and save S&H as well. lol

My "go big or go home" mentality is leading me towards the S. Subsnipes. My selfish desire to see my critters out and about often also leads me to this choice. But because it's the biggest and the baddest, I have a few questions...

I haven't found much info on life expectancy. How long do they live?
      Do they require weeks of hardening after a molt?
      How often do they need fed?
      Can they survive on loads of crickets, since I'm a sissy and don't want to buy anything bigger?
      I notice they're not very good climbers, but I like to be prepared for surprises... How well do they manage glass?
      I read one article stating they needed 6-8 inches of sub, but the terrarium I have in mind can only manage 4-5 inches. (maybe higher if I pile up the back) Will that be a problem?
      I've heard of them chewing through plastic, so will my screen exo-terra lid be strong enough? (It's the 18inch tall one, so hopefully this will never be an issue).
      I'm sure I'll come up with more questions eventually...

Otherwise, I know this is a beast... Not only is it dangerous to me, but could be lethal to my cat if it ever got out. I'm crazy paranoid and cautious when working with anything that has more than 2 legs, and have never had anything other than a rat escape its enclosure, some 15 years ago. I've had some mean and fiesty critters, but I know this will demand a little more caution and respect than I have needed to use in a while. Again, I'm not in a hurry and am taking my time with this one... lol

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,980 Times in 2,276 Posts
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120504.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	51424Glad you are branching off a bit! I too have/like centipedes and have had S. gigantea plus many other species. The species I have had the most "issues" with are the S. subspinipes...big beautiful hungry...but, definitely not long lived or tough. These are the easiest to come by and are cheap but, I recommend Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (Blue ring, yellow leg morphs)...these get to 7-8" are very hardy, great eaters slow for a pede, and, are easy to care for and are not very aggressive, also inexpensive. S. polymorpha are also more hardy (tougher in my opinion) but, these are much quicker than blue rings. Just my 2 cents!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      How long is "not long lived" though? A few months? A few years? Also, they've been the most expensive centipede I've come across so far, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong stores? I found a listing for $80 a couple of weeks ago, and $45 is the cheapest I've seen for S Subspinipes.

I wouldn't mind trying the blue ring in time, as well. Once my "go big or go home" desires are sated, I don't mind trying out more easy-to-care-for creatures. ^_^ Are they out and about a lot, too?

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      At the reptile shows the S. subspinipes are usually $20-30 that I have seen. I think LLL Reptile has them for around $20. I have had a few S. subspinipes and have had them for usually less than 2 years (some much less) where I've had blue rings for over 5 years with really no early casualties. Just my humble experience.... Trust yourself!
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

Gracerain (12-24-2013)

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      Maybe the place I'm looking at has adults or something then? Thanks for the info though! With my moving schedule, I wouldn't mind a 2-year life span, but would naturally hope for more. How long does it take them to grow to full size?

Thank you for the info though! I might try the blue-ring first after all, for the practice and lifespan. I've only just moved here, so I have a few years to enjoy things before the next move begins to loom over my head. ^_^ It wouldn't be right to get a blue-ring just 1 or 2 years before moving...

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      To adulthood...close to 2 years (S. subspinipes). Blue rings take a year or two longer.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Centipede owners are in a minority of a minority. The main problem is that subspinipes usually are all that's consistently available. The South American species put subspinipes to shame IMO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Herpguy For This Useful Post:

Gracerain (01-02-2014)

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      very cool critter I am trying to find a local breeder in ny but its tough! Cant wait to get one!