No status right now.

I am:
      Depressed

Real (nick)name
      Red
      Tarantulas

Thanks

My G. Rosea: Olive

Okay, I thought I would start a different thread since the title of my other one is more about my sling Peanut.

I have noticed a number of times now that olive hugs the side of her enclosure when I have my desk lamp on. The lamp does get warm and its about 4-5 inches away. Olive is often found pressing herself against the side of the enclosure closest to the lamp, like she is right now. I am assuming she is enjoying the extra heat. It is quite cold here in Michigan this winter, but we keep the house at 68, new furnace and lots of insulation (we did a lot when we bought the house a few years ago) I am comfortable in a t-shirt and cotton pajama pants but this makes me wonder if Olive would like a warmer home. What do you guys think?
      Current collection:
      0.1 G. Rosea "Olive"
      0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"
      0.0.1 G. Pulchripes "Peanut"
      0.0.1 A. Chalcodes "Penny"

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      Grammostolas are warmth-loving creatures. All but one of mine really enjoy their CFL longs. My pulchras will dig as deep as they have to go, to get as close as they can. Here's the weird thing: my rosea actually does NOT like a heat source and will seek out the coolest part of her tank.

For your rosea, I would say leave things as they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

KcFerry (01-27-2014), RedSword (01-28-2014)

"You all know me...You
      know what I do for a
      livin!"

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Kevin
      Tarantulas
      40ish

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JumpSpidersInc View Post

For your rosea, I would say leave things as they are.
      I'm with Jump on this...
      Other than my G.pulchra, my Grammostola,s could care less about the temp's, as long as it's not extreme.
      G.rosea are well known for doing strange things, and will keep you guessing all the while! Mine buried itself for about 7 months, molted, ate one cricket, then didn't eat again for almost a year.
      Now she's acting normal again and starting to eat more regularly.
      If "Olive" want's to warm herself on the glass, best to just let her be.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Great minds discuss ideas
      Average minds discuss events
      Simple minds discuss people

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KcFerry For This Useful Post:

RedSword (01-28-2014)

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      If the house is at 68* she may very well be seeking out the heat. I wouldn't worry though, she will be fine at 68*, but may just be a little less active than she would at warmer temps. It gets below 68* in her native habitat, I'm sure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

RedSword (01-28-2014)

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I would not raise the temperature, but if she doesn't have a place to hide, I would provide one. Allowing her cage to be a little cooler during the winter months may help her adjust to our seasons anyway.

A great read for G. rosea keepers: Care And Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula
      TEMPERATURE AND LIGHT

Being desert animals, one might assume that these tarantulas require excessively high temperatures. Not so. They're extremely sturdy and resilient creatures and temperature is pretty much a non-issue with them. Follow the ...
      THE TARANTULA'S FIRST RULE OF TEMPERATURE (EXPANDED)

If you don't have to wear a wool sweater or a parka to stay warm,

If you don't have to run naked because it's so hot,

Any temperature you're comfortable at will suit your Chilean rose just fine.

COROLLARY
      : We're the fragile species! Not the Chilean rose!

DO NOT artificially raise the cage's temperature in the belief that the Chilean roses need higher temperatures. There are two problems with supplying extra heat to a tarantula's cage.

Without a major engineering effort the heat is largely uncontrollable. If you happen to experience a particularly hot day and accidentally leave the cage heater on, you could easily come home to a strong smell of well cooked tarantula.

Artificial heat sources are strong desiccators. They dry the cage out extremely rapidly and to a very harsh degree. Roses are accustomed to living in a desert, but even they have limits to what they can tolerate.

THE TARANTULA'S SECOND RULE OF TEMPERATURE

A lower temperature is almost always preferable to an artificial heat source.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
      NO SUNLIGHT!
      In fact, avoid all bright lights, but make sure that the tarantula can easily tell the difference between day and night. (See below.)
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      I'd say the only downside to keeping her in a cooler house as you have described is that she will likely take FOREVER to molt again.

Even in an 85*F room my adult rosie girl takes about 2 years between molts.
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 01-27-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

RedSword (01-28-2014)

No status right now.

I am:
      Depressed

Real (nick)name
      Red
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanks for the replies everyone. I did some more testing with the lamp yesterday and noticed she would spend some time hanging out next to the light and after a while she'd move into the shadow of her burrow. I did notice her back by the light a 2nd time so perhaps she just likes to bask in some extra warmth from time to time.

On another note, she was kinda angry today. She threw up half a threat posture at me, which I should have heeded, but I was determined to hold her. It was only 2 side legs she put up so I wasn't really sure if that was a "leave me alone" gesture or not. Anyway, after holding her for about 5 minutes I was trying to maneuver her onto my other hand and she kicked hairs! First time I saw it. She was facing me so the hairs were kicked away. I didn't actually see any hairs, some videos show a small cloud but it may not have been the right lighting. She kicked along the side of her abdomen 4-5 times. Its my understanding that the top of the abdomen has the largest concentration of UH's so perhaps it was, again, a half hearted warning. She just wanted me to leave her alone, but didnt want to hurt me. Im probably anthropomorphizing. This is the first time I've seen her "cranky" since the first day I got her. She has been on the skittish side today, reacting to noises and things.

My wife thinks that her abdomen is getting darker, but I find it difficult to tell. All of the hairs on her upper abdomen "mirror patch" are completely in tact. Is that the spot that gets dark before a molt? Can it only be noticed if she's kicked a bald spot? Ive decided to give her plenty of hands off time for now. What do you guys think?

Ungoliant: I have that page of Stan Shultz bookmarked Reading it a second time is when I noticed the picture of what I call a half hearted threat pose. I will consider this part of a learning curve.

Edit: I am not planning on adding any additional heat. Perhaps in the future if I can get the wife to allow me to grow my collection I can build a cabinet of some sort with supplemental heating (I have experience with flexwatt from my reptile keeping days) but for now Ill stick with room temps. If she wants to hang out near my desk lamp when I have it on so be it
      Current collection:
      0.1 G. Rosea "Olive"
      0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedSword For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (01-29-2014), Ungoliant (01-29-2014)

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      Ohh grumpy girl. I have seen ts kick hairs more than I wanted to, but have never actually seen the "cloud" you are referring to. I think the light probably has to be just right for that. Sounds like you are doing well by her.

No status right now.

I am:
      Depressed

Real (nick)name
      Red
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Shes webbed herself into her hide last night. Seems like a molt is coming!
      Current collection:
      0.1 G. Rosea "Olive"
      0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      Sounds like she knows where to go to get warm....and, congrats on the permolt .
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"