I am:
      Cheeky

Real (nick)name
      Donna
      Tarantulas
      5 for now

Thanks

How to Move a Holed Up T

I'm wanting to move my T who stays in her tunnels continually. How do you do that??? I have a new enclosure I want to move her to. And another thing, she has all her boluses (sp?) at the bottom of her winding tunnels. How do you get to them? Should I just leave everything alone?

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      Well DonnaG...if you have a new home for her and you want to move her you just need to carefully/methodically and slowly dig her out. If the boluses bother her she will discard them herself. Or the other route...leave her in her old home. If you can see her boluses you might be able to see or figure out where she is if you intend to mover her. You probably will get substrate on her when digging her out...but that is normal . Good luck!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

I've got a fever! And the only
      prescription is....more T's!

I am:
      Cheeky

Real (nick)name
      Donna
      Tarantulas
      5 for now

Thanks
      Thank you, Rachibi. That helps me a lot.

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      My first question is, what kind of T are we talking about? If it is a New World T, in most cases, no problem, just dig them out.

If it is an Old World T, chances are that T will bolt (and fast) once they are dug out, in which case you need to be prepared to catch them.

I would suggest cutting off the top of a 2L bottle and using that as a funnel, unscrew the lid, and put a tube over the hole. The T, if small enough, will gladly flee to the tube for hiding, and you have them contained.

And do your best to secure the room you are doing this in. Especially if it is a flighty T, you will want to find ways to keep them from fleeing to cracks and hiding spots behind heavy furniture.

A few months ago, I was squirting water into my friend's Hapalopus sp. Columbia large tank when it bolted from its burrow. In a flash, it was up my arm, out onto the top of my T shelf, and over the back, where I couldn't get to it.

Rather than trying to move that shelf, I decided to wait (banking on the hope that there was no easy way for her to escape the room), and sure enough, a day later, she was on a plexi tray in the floor that I was just walking into the room to retrieve. After a bit of a chase with the pop-bottle funnel, I managed to get her back into her tank.

That day, I cut up a pool noodle into long strips that I have stuffed around the back and sides of that shelf to prevent Ts from fleeing back there. So far, so good.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

DonnaG (12-25-2014)

I am:
      Cheeky

Real (nick)name
      Donna
      Tarantulas
      5 for now

Thanks
      Oh, my bad. Its my young E. Campestratus. So I guess I'll just dig her out, though that sounds kinda harsh!

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      You couldn't ask for a better T to move than a PZB.

HAVE FUN!
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 12-25-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom_Catch_Cup-05.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	57880
      This is similar to what Manly was talking about. I use this to capture T's for transport. They end up in the coffee cup at the top which is already lined with packing material for shipping and then I put the coffee cup lid on. It's not exactly what Manly was talking about but I thought it might give you a visual picture of what he meant. I've probably just confused matters rather than helped.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      That's awesome J!m! Beam me up Scotty!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Ranchibi View Post
      That's awesome J!m! Beam me up Scotty!
      Thanks Ranchibi. Check out this thread if you like. It explains the little tool a little better.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

I am:
      Cheeky

Real (nick)name
      Donna
      Tarantulas
      5 for now

Thanks
      Oh, what an awesome contraption, Jim. Very clever. That definitely gives me some good ideas. I'm feeling a lot more confident about moving my PZB now. Thank you so much!