No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Kayls
      Tarantulas

Thanks

TConfused Scarlett flipped back over...

I went to check on my 5 inch B. Vagans, Scarlett, yesterday. She was flipped over onto her back, and I presumed she was moulting. She kept like that for nearly a day, and her carapace hadn't popped yet, although she was obviously alive, as every few minutes her legs would move. About 12 hours in, I looked up suggestions for tarantula moult problems, and found here. At 22 hours, and still no progress at all, I followed a suggestion I had seen on this forum and other tarantula forums, and gently picked up her enclosure and put it into the bathroom with the hot water running. I don't have a shower, but my bathroom is tiny and steams up when I have a hot bath, so I filled the bath with hot water and shut the door. I went to check on her about half an hour later, and she was not on her back anymore. She had flipped back onto her feet, still not moulting. Since then (its been 8 hours) she has still been in the bathroom, but has not flipped back over and moulted. She has been moving around, has done a bit of webbing and also did a poo. Her abdomen is normal sized, her legs are stretched out as normal, and she moves around as she always does. Its like nothing happened.

I got Scarlett from a friend in April last year. My friend said she last moulted in September 2013, so I think she is due a moult. She doesn't eat much, in the time I have had her, she is generally a pet hole who I rarely see. She has eaten maybe a handful of times since I got her. She has a small bald patch on her butt, but she hasn't gone very dark underneath, so maybe she isn't in premolt? But why was she upside down? Did she think she was going to moult, but then change her mind, or did she climb onto the top of her tank and fall, and was too lazy to get back up? Or is she going to surprise me and turn back over?

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      Hi and welcome! You have done a great job with her so far! I can't think of anything I would have done different. Hmmm that is odd indeed. Do you have a full water dish available to her at all times? I would be interested to see a picture of her and her enclosure. Once you have posted 5 times, you will be upgraded to member status and allowed to post pictures. I assume that she is definitely a female?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You all know me...You
      know what I do for a
      livin!"

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Kevin
      Tarantulas
      40ish

Thanks
      Sounds like you have a mature male there, although it's unusual for them to stay on their backs for that long.
      I would love to see a pic of the T, but, like Tgirl said, you'll need to make the 5 posts before you can post pic's.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Great minds discuss ideas
      Average minds discuss events
      Simple minds discuss people

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by KcFerry View Post
      Sounds like you have a mature male there, although it's unusual for them to stay on their backs for that long.
      I would love to see a pic of the T, but, like Tgirl said, you'll need to make the 5 posts before you can post pic's.
      I too was wondering if it was a MM under a sperm web, but she didn't mention a web. I am interested in seeing a picture.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Kayls
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      I am not sure of the sex, my friend said that she ventrally sexed her as female, but that ventral sexing is not as accurate as sexing by molt. Shes not a mature male as far as I know, my friend who I got her from has been keeping tarantulas for years and has 60 of them, she thinks that she might possibly have matured female now (from looking up on the internet, 5 inches is adult size)...but if my friend is wrong and she is male, she hasn't matured yet.

She has an open water dish available at all times.

She did not make herself a mat to molt on, she has webbed a little, as she sometimes does, but it is just a few strands on the floor.

At the moment, she still hasn't flipped back over, she has moved around her enclosure and is now currently sitting on the back wall. Its like nothing happened, I would presume that a tarantula who was completely stuck in a moult wouldn't be able to walk completely normally and go about their usual business.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      No, if she was stuck she wouldn't be walking around. Odd indeed. When was the last time she ate?

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Kayls
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Since I got her in April last year, she has maybe eaten three times, she spends large amounts of time webbed up in her hide, and doesn't eat when she is in her hide. When she first did this I thought she was in premolt, as she wasn't eating, but she just does that for no reason, for months at a time, then comes out for a few days (like she does now). The last time I saw her out, I fed her, and that was in September 2014.

When she came out a few days ago, I offered her a cricket, but she didn't eat it, and I removed it from the enclosure.

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Can you post a picture of her?

"You all know me...You
      know what I do for a
      livin!"

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Kevin
      Tarantulas
      40ish

Thanks
      On it's back...thin layers of webbing...hanging on the back wall...not eating.
      I will be really surprised to find out this is the behavior of a female!

Just sayin'

Let's compare...
      Here is a female B. vegans...Notice the stocky, robust appearance.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Female B. vegans.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	58091

This is a mature male...Notice the enlarged pedipalps and tibial hooks.
      Notice the area's in the red circles...Does your T look like this?
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brachypelma-vagans-mm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	58092

Great minds discuss ideas
      Average minds discuss events
      Simple minds discuss people

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Kayls
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Nope. Scarlett has no bulbs or hooks. Her webs are more thin strings along the floor (and sometimes on things) than what a MM sperm web would be. She isn't as leggy as the male either, and looks more like the female.