• Vegged out
  • Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy

Thread: Pics of enclosures with dirt/soil substrate?

Tarantula Shaver

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Real (nick)name
      KJ
      Tarantulas
      about 100

Thanks

Pics of enclosures with dirt/soil substrate?

I currently use a mix of Eco-Earth and Peat Moss in my enclosures. I'm considering switching to a potting soil or top soil substrate, or possibly a mix of what I currently have with soil. I'd like to see some pictures of enclosures done with soil to see what to expect.

When I think about using soil, I envision a substrate that when dried out would become too hard. For those who use soil, do you put it in kind of loose, or do you pack it down? I usually pack my current substrate down, while slightly moist, just about as hard as I can, so it will stand up to burrowing.

Thanks
      -KJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheVez2 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (02-25-2015)

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      I use EcoEarth, and occasionally an EE and peat moss mix so I'm no help but Poec54 likes soil. Hopefully he will pop in and enlighten us.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (02-25-2015)

Pokie Patrone Extrordinar

I am:
      Fine

Real (nick)name
      Rick Blauman
      Tarantulas
      Hundreds

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by TheVez2 View Post
      I currently use a mix of Eco-Earth and Peat Moss in my enclosures. I'm considering switching to a potting soil or top soil substrate, or possibly a mix of what I currently have with soil...When I think about using soil, I envision a substrate that when dried out would become too hard. For those who use soil, do you put it in kind of loose, or do you pack it down? I usually pack my current substrate down, while slightly moist, just about as hard as I can, so it will stand up to burrowing.
      Not with what I use. I get the cheap top soil at Home Depot, 'Timberline' brand with no fertilizer or additives (may vary per region). I don't compress it at all. It hold it's shape for tunneling, and when it dries it's not overly hard. Great stuff. I abhor cocofiber.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poec54 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (02-25-2015), pan60 (02-26-2015)

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts
      what he said.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Tarantula Shaver

No status right now.

I am:
      Nerdy

Real (nick)name
      KJ
      Tarantulas
      about 100

Thanks
      Hmmm... No pics?
      -KJ

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Ramoth
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Is eco earth bad to use, I recently got into the T craze.

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by ramothalfred View Post
      Is eco earth bad to use, I recently got into the T craze.

Hi ramothalfred. To answer your question, I would say no. I use it almost exclusively, as to a number of members here.

That said, it is a bit on the acidic side, and I find my Ts will prefer to sit on top of their cork rounds than on their coconut fiber substrate.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Thanks
      I used ecoearth and similar items in the past. At some point I decided that I don't like it and didn't have the greatest luck with it. I currently use additive free topsoil by itself and with some peat added.

You want pictures I can get some additional to some I already have here. But I have to tell you.....it looks like dirt, or dirt covered by webbing.

Please see this thread, all the pictures are enclosures using topsoil.

This one has some of the same enclosures when they were first set up.

I find dirt's biggest downside is weight. It is just heavier than other choices. However I don't pack it down much and while it gets firm it isn't to much for my bulldozers. I have 3 loosely packed (make that tamped) enclosures with slings that are right now getting some major redevelopment. So far my dirt has gone into enclosure while it was slightly damp and I don't do much more that push it around to where I want it, lightly pat it down a touch and break up the biggest lumps. I also start a little recess under the hide but that only lasts until the new owner moves in.