• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Containment Bin...

On summer break before
      starting the nursing program!

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I think a plexiglass top and moving the armhole are both good ideas. That does look a little uncomfortable. Will you just turn the old armhole into another vent?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ann333 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (03-04-2015)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Ann333 View Post
      I think a plexiglass top and moving the armhole are both good ideas. That does look a little uncomfortable. Will you just turn the old armhole into another vent?

That's not a bad idea. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, to be honest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

On summer break before

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Better than buying a new one and starting over...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ann333 For This Useful Post:

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ann333 View Post
      Better than buying a new one and starting over...

True that.

I may just put a third glove on, just in case I need it.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

On summer break before

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Hmm... that would never have crossed my mind. Lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ann333 For This Useful Post:

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      You and Ann333 are SUPER GENIUS'S! That elbow to elbow thing would be very awkward
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I can't wait to hear a report of how this actually works out for you! What a neat idea. I like it a lot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sprchik For This Useful Post:

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      So, I tried the glove on the opposite side of the bin from the other, but I felt I was about kissing the lid to get it to work.

I have since put it through the vent hole, and that seems to be a much better fit for angles and ease.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150304_170855.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	58880

But I do also realize I no longer have screen vents on this setup (I glued the circles I had cut out back on with hot glue). No bother, that is way more than enough air for them.

If I ever make one of these again, I will likely go with a bin that is at least twice as big, and may have holes on both sides for both hands. Might even be able to have two people working it at once.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

J!m (03-06-2015)

On summer break before

I am:
      Fine

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Well it looks a little crude, but as long as it works! And your right that is plenty of air. Good job manly, hopefully this makes life a little easier for you!

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Well, I got a chance to try it out this morning as I was unpacking the MM I was expecting.

Unfortunately for him, the weather was too cold on my end, and he had a bit too much moisture in his packing. He doesn't appear to have made it. I will hang onto him to see if by some miracle he revives, but it doesn't look good.

In general, the packing the sender did was superb, but the moisture and the extreme cold was too much for the little guy. It was -12*F here this morning, and I had readings in his packing container (within the paper towels) as low as 37*F on my laser IR thermometer, and that was after being in my warm T room for 15 minutes or so. I will say nothing felt frozen. The 72-hour heat pack was still warm.

It was also the sender's first time shipping a T, and kudos to a great execution for the first try. But the weather was much colder here on my end than on his. And I must say I have received a few packages on days in which it was very cold outside, though maybe not this cold.

LukeArcher, thank you for doing your best, it was apparent you did research it and did the best you knew how for a first time try. I am sorry about the loss and I will make it up to you for losing your male.

As for the containment bin, I might try to rehouse the female as her quarters are a bit small for her now. That should give me a chance to try out the containment bin for sure as she is bound to bolt and be all over the place. I just hope I am not tempting disaster on that one.
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 03-05-2015 at 03:29 PM.