I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks

Reusing dirt?

I've got a big 20-gallon tub I keep half-full of dirt, where I house my springtails and isopods. The dirt that goes in there is accumulated from cleaning out spider tanks, as well as crickets and mealworms. My populations of the Springtails and Isopods are quite healthy, and I can't help but wonder, could I use some of this dirt to put back into a T enclosure? Or would urt-hairs and/T pheromones cause issue?

I already use a lot of it for gardening, and put all of my organic cooking waste in there as well. I keep a couple of jumping spiders in there for gnat control, and they don't seem to mind, but I also wonder if they're just more resilient since they're wild? It's not very frequent that I clean T tanks, because I spot clean and keep the cleaning crews stocked, so there'd be a lot of time in between one enclosure's dirt going into a tank, and what's in there being used for someone.

Just wondering how possible this would be. I don't like throwing away dirt, but since I have so much of it, I don't want to buy more either. Hoping the experts here can enlighten me. ^_^

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      I wouldn't use it for Ts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

Gracerain (06-26-2015)

Getting ready to wrestle a
      grizzly bear

I am:
      Woot!

Tarantulas
      Some...

Thanks
      I reuse substrate as long as only healthy Ts have used it. I do not, however, reuse from NW to OW. Probably wouldn't be a problem, but OW Ts are never going to encounter urticating NW setae in the wild.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formerphobe For This Useful Post:

albertekiz (10-28-2015), Gracerain (06-26-2015), J!m (06-26-2015)

Food coma

I am:
      Artistic

Real (nick)name
      Noelle
      Tarantulas
      3!

Thanks
      Thank you both. I'm still considering. All my T's seem really healthy, and my cleaners have done a great job with all that I put in their soil. For any soil I thought of using, I figured I would stop providing other foods to the cleaners, until I knew they'd scoured everything really well, and let it dry out a bit, depending on the future inhabitants moisture preference.

Good thinking about the NW/OW difference though. I guess I could just keep individual dirt bins for each T, and use them on rotation, each dedicated to only 1 T. (I only have 4 *for now* so wouldn't be hard.)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      I tend to thoroughly soak and microwave any dirt I want to reuse, but will not reuse dirt from a T that passed away, especially if I don't know why it died.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      I like your idea of having the isopods thoroughly cleaning the sub. If like mentioned above that no T died then I would use that substrate as the base and add new substrate on top of that (like top soil)....
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      i recycle sub the same way you describe.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Abet
      Tarantulas
      few :)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Formerphobe View Post
      I reuse substrate as long as only healthy Ts have used it. I do not, however, reuse from NW to OW. Probably wouldn't be a problem, but OW Ts are never going to encounter urticating NW setae in the wild.
      nice advice