Thread: Getting the right substrate

No status right now.

I am:
      None

Tarantulas
      Greatest Man Yo

Thanks

Getting the right substrate

So I've been using coconut fiber but I want to try something different or mix something with the coco.
      I was on another place on the internet and they said vermiculite is bad for T's which I thought was interesting because I know I've seen people suggest it before, what do you know about this? They also said not to use peat moss??
      I was suggested to use red clay, but not hard clay for modeling of course. And to mix the red clay with regular potting soil (what I assume to mean without harzardous chemicals and fertilizer). And that that would be good for burrowing.

So when we talk about using substrate in our enclosures the first important thing is what species of taratula is it, I know this. I have 1 arboreal and 2 terrestrial. 1 Avicularia Versicolor, 1 Brachypelma Albopilosum, and 1 that I've forgot the ID of it was a recent trade with a local guy, I think it was like a "mexican red knee" or "arizona red knee" or something like that. My versicolor doesn't care what substrate is in her tank I dont think or she doesnt care about the coco, so I'll be using just a little bit of whatever I use for the other two. My 1st terrestrial (albopilosum) has shown to love to dig in the past but hasnt in a long time so this is mainly for inspired by her to see if it will encourage her to dig again, for now she prefers to live in one of two coffee mugs I've played in there. It appears she likes to sleep in one and poop in the other. ??? . The 2nd terrestrial ("red knee" I've named Bridget after the Irish goddess) has indicated it doesn't care to dig for the sake of digging but I put a large piece of corkwood in the tank laying down on the substrate and she loves to dig a tunnel under it and then bury the exit and "hibernate" for long periods of time occasionally, sometimes worrying me on those long long holidays and I unbury her and shes fine.

I'm interested in knowing where I might get good substrate online? and of course what your opinions are of what I should get. I'm not even certain what brand I should choose.
      I was recommended these sites:

http://www.petmountain.com/product/o...substrate.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/?t=1&r...9UAaAimv8P8HAQ

in the chatroom of this site and I've been looking at them

Also I'm honestly really worried about something. I had diatomaceous earth in the house recently and I'm really worried it may have contaminated some of the tanks, I did not see any powder in them, and I had the tanks covered just in case, but I'm an idiot and should have moved the tanks out of the house in the first place, I may just be worrying over nothing but I'm still worried. Do any of you know of any symptoms T's might exhibit if they were contaminated with this horrid stuff? We had the earth in the house because a person in the household brought bedbugs into the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Now that I have your attention with this monkey. Read below!

Make sure to put together a
      To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      for emergency uses.

what it is, and prevention methods.

The Good, The Bad, &

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      On a personal note I have been using only coco coir and have never had any problems. I hear people mixing it with peat, top soil (pesticide free), sand, clay and I'm sure I'm missing a few! Like you said it really depends on the T...they might acclimate faster to a certain substrate. I'm sure you know your T's better than anyone and would notice if they don't care for a certain sub. Hope this helps!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

KcFerry (08-15-2015)

"You all know me...You
      know what I do for a
      livin!"

I am:
      Curious

Real (nick)name
      Kevin
      Tarantulas
      40ish

Thanks
      I use either straight EE (coco coir) or a 50/50 mix of EE and vermiculite for most of my enclosures. I'll use bone dry EE for my arid species and the 50/50 mix for my humidity lovers. ie...Lp's, genic's, pamphos, psalms, poeci's etc...
      The only T's that get different sub are my Haplopelma...I give them clean, pesticide-free top soil and peat mix. I find it holds moisture well, doesn't collapse in their labyrinth of tunnels and doesn't get moldy as fast as straight EE.
      For tiny slings (2nd and 3rd instar) I like straight vermiculite as it stays moist, doesn't mold and makes it easier to find the sling with it's lighter color.
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Great minds discuss ideas
      Average minds discuss events
      Simple minds discuss people

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KcFerry For This Useful Post:

Tgirl1010 (08-15-2015)

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      I agree on the Eco-Earth (Coconut Fiber). I've always used it with every sort of T and have never had any problems.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts
      I use peat or coco and a mix if thats what I have.
      I moved to the peat mostly because I can get it so cheap compared to the coco fiber.
      The coco fiber from my prospective is cleaner the peat is dusty and get air born at times.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.