• Vegged out
  • Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy

Thread: How Many Leo's In A Tank Together?

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts

How Many Leo's In A Tank Together?

Someone gave me 4 leopard geckos 10 days ago, and I already had rwo beautiful girls. So I now have 5 females and on male.

We also just moved into our new house today. As I am getting the new place settled in, I am rearranging the tank I have kept my two girls in and have introduced two more girls. So far so good, though one of mine is blind from the sand I used to have in the tank.

My question is how many can a 12" X 30" X 12" tank comfortably hold? On of the females I introduced is from this last year, so about half sized.

Related is if I am asking for trouble to introduce the male into this tank, at least for a time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (10-31-2015)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      I'm pretty sure all the females would be fine but introducing the male will cause some friction and then....more leo's!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

CrystalRose (10-31-2015), JumpSpidersInc (10-31-2015)

Snake & Bake Administrator

Building up my Zoo!

I am:
      Thinking

Tarantulas

Thanks
      To be honest..I wouldn't keep more than 3 females in that size enclosure long term. Females aren't as bad as males but they *can* get territorial if they feel crowded. Introducing the male for a short time might be ok but if he's a very um "active" male...he could keep harrasing the females and you will end up with eggs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrystalRose For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (10-31-2015), Tgirl1010 (10-31-2015)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thank you two for your input.

So far, the four seem to be getting along great. I have 3 hides in there, and one seems ever empty.

And actually, I DO want to end up with eggs, to be honest, at least for one season. Have ever wanted to breed these, even if just once, just for fun.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (11-01-2015)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      You will get huevo's!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

run my lil lovelies!

I will not buy more Ts. I will
      not buy more Ts.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Nikki
      Tarantulas
      I have a few...

Thanks
      adding my 2 cents here, late, but still gonna add it. females, as with all geckos, can be unpredictable. we usually recommend each animal has their own tub or tank. i have 40+, and each has their own tub. they don't need a "friend" or a "buddy". they do really good by themselves.

"gregery: wait... Mommy piggy... your a man?
      mommypiggy: yes... lol
      mommypiggy: i'ma man
      mommypiggy: woMAN"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikki1970 For This Useful Post:

ManlyMan7 (01-11-2016)

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thank you Nikki. This is helpful.

I have farmed one girl out to a very excited young lady who seems to be doing quite well with her. So I now have 4 in a tank together. Two of these are sisters that I have had for 5 years, and have never had any issues that I can observe. The other two seem to do well also. I may yet farm out another one before long.

My bigger concern at this point is getting my boy, Gastone, to eat! I now have him on heat tape, with the thermostat set to 86*F. He won't eat and looks so skinny. Still quite active. He is in an entirely separate room from the girls, so I don't think he is still in the mating mode.

run my lil lovelies!

I will not buy more Ts. I will
      not buy more Ts.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Nikki
      Tarantulas
      I have a few...

Thanks
      My recommendation is to up the belly heat to about 92. What feeders have you
      Tried so far? And what does he weigh in grams?

"gregery: wait... Mommy piggy... your a man?
      mommypiggy: yes... lol
      mommypiggy: i'ma man
      mommypiggy: woMAN"

Super Manly Moderator

between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Nikki1970 View Post
      My recommendation is to up the belly heat to about 92. What feeders have you
      Tried so far? And what does he weigh in grams?

I will try to raise his heat. Thanks for the tip.

I have given him mealworms, superworms, waxworms, crickets, even tried getting him to lick up Repashy RescuCal+, but after an initial taste, he turns away from that too.

He will still drink water though.

I will have to weigh him and get back to you.