• Crappy

Thread: Size of hide for T. Stirmi?

S'ling

No status right now.

I am:
      Apprehensive

Thanks

TConfused Size of hide for T. Stirmi?

I have a large female T. Stirmi that has had half of a medium sized flower pot as a hide since I got her - the seller gave me the hide with her. She can fit her entire body into the hide, turn around, etc., but there is not any room for moving around otherwise. - In anyone's experience, do these animals prefer smaller hides (the way snakes prefer tighter hides to give them a feeling of safety), or do they prefer something they can move around in?

She is in a 20 gal. long terrarium and has bulldozed all the plants in the immediate vicinity of her hide. She ignores the rest I think, so they're just there for my own enjoyment.

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Hi dfleary. Welcome!

There are a few members here who should be able to speak to that (Scoolman and Ranchibi come to mind). I am sure they can give you good advice on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0062.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	63340

Welcome dfleary! I have 3 adult female stirmi and have 1/2 plastic pots as hides also. The hides for these are 12"Wide x 14"Tall and I plug the drain holes with cotton balls to help keep the humidity inside. This girl is a good 10" and can move around easily in that size hide. You can also use a large plastic bowl if it will fit in her tank with a door cut out. I grew these from slings to now and had to get larger and larger hides as they grew! So, I now have many smaller 1/2 plastic pots that I have no use for!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      If she wanted more she she would dig out some substrate. Both of my girls have made rather larger accommodations for themselves, they do seem to prefer more space in their hide.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoolman For This Useful Post:

Formerphobe (01-06-2016)