Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks

Sling nursery setup

Tomorrow there's a big reptile expo in Indianapolis, and I have it on good authority that at least one vendor in attendance is going to have affordable 1" G. pulchra slings. This will be my 2nd T and my 1st sling, so I'm a strong mix of nervous and excited about tomorrow's proceedings. In the days leading up to the event I have been nagging the newbie board (thanks for your patience, all =P) and setting up an initial nursery enclosure, which I'd like to share here today. While I'd like to take full credit for this setup, just about everything involved was directly taken from or inspired by the recommendations on Scoolman's G. pulchra blog.

This setup uses a 1.5 gallon tank as an incubator. It's kept on my dresser in a spot that will get some indirect light, but not much. I have a small under tank heater attached to the back of the tank, a small glass of water near it for humidity, a thermometer to keep track of the temp, and the critter keeper. The top is a loose screen-mesh with.....

....a piece of cardboard cut to fit the inner lip beneath it. The cardboard lid has its four corners cut away for the sake of air flow and a piece of electrical tape on the front so that I can pop it out. It's cut to fit tightly in place. Since the heating pad does a less than stellar job of keeping the enlosure warm, this traps a bit of heat and humidity while not forcing the air to stagnate.

The enclosure that the sling will actually be in is a small critter keeper. The substrate is coconut fiber that has been moistened to be semi-clumpable without being wet. I've packed down the substrate in order to make burrowing easier/reduce the odds of cave-in. It sits at roughly 4-5 inches deep, leaving approximately 3 inches of vertical space to the lid. Speaking of the lid, if you look on the plastic door you may see a small black strip. There were 3 openings on the door that I thought might be just wide enough for a sling to get caught in, so I sealed them with electrical tape. The tape has no sticky edges that the sling could get trapped on. For a hide I have two pieces of bark from a yellow poplar tree that died due to a drought that swept through Indiana a few years ago. It's been kept as part of a large stack in my 55 gallon anole tank as a hide for my colony of isopods, and they absolutely love it. This bark has been scrubbed without any chemicals, placed in boiling water, and baked at 400 degrees for roughly 10 minutes to ensure that it's safe for a sling. Each piece has a small flaring area where a branch once came from, creating cave-like areas. The water dish is a water-bottle lid with a sterilized piece of quartz in it. I may end up looking for something smaller depending on just how large the sling turns out to be. I've plugged in the heater and placed the thermometer in the center of this enclosure and it seems to stay at roughly 73 degrees while outside of the enclosure seems to stay roughly 70 degrees on average. I'd rather hit 75 degrees, but I'll settle for this for the time being, as I don't intend to power-feed.

I know that the general consensus seems to be the use of a vial for slings of this side, but I don't have anything of appropriate size at the moment. Any thoughts/ideas on the enclosure would be greatly appreciated, as the health and safety of this sling is my goal. Thanks!
      Last edited by Raven8; 01-16-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      Your setup is perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      ------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoolman For This Useful Post:

Raven8 (01-16-2016)

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks
      Well, that answers that! Thanks Scoolman =D

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      Talk about being prepared! As Scoolman said...perfect...Mansion!...going to be a spoiled T
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchibi For This Useful Post:

Raven8 (01-16-2016)

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pan60 For This Useful Post:

Raven8 (01-18-2016)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      Looks great (like they said)!

As for vials, my bet is that your sling will be purchased in such a vial that should do for a molt or two. You just want to make sure that if you put it into the inner tank in your pics above, that it can't escape through the vent holes on the lid. If they can fit their carapace through it (which can be fairly flat), they can get out.

And of course, we anxiously await pictures of your new T when you return home with it (or them!).

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

Raven8 (01-18-2016)

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks

TGrin

Well, the day brings good news and bad news.

The bad news is that I did not bring home a G. pulchra today. I saw a number of them, but funds were short by the time I made it there.

The good news and the reason that my funds were suddenly short is that I found my #1 T goal: a Euathlus sp. red sling!

Sorry about the quality, my phone refused to focus beyond this.

It's about 1" long and as healthy as a horse. The people selling it (same people who sold Penny to me last month, amazingly) said that it's eating 1/4 inch crickets with gusto, and its little enclosure even had 3 molts laying around. G. pulchra just moved to the top of my list and I'll find a sling this March when the show comes back, but for now I'm overjoyed that I found one of these beautiful little spiders. Heck, it's even got the beginnings of its adult coloration at the base of its abdomen! In order to make my nursery a bit more hospitable, I took off the top inch of coconut fiber and replaced it with dry (it's still moist below that), added the substrate that the sling had in its container already, and took out the glass of water/replaced it with a damp paper towel. The little sling came home, crawled around on my hand for a few seconds (Not trying to hold it, just get it moved over. It seemed surprised and recoiled its legs when it felt my hand), and then camped out on one of the bark pieces, very content to rest after its ordeal.

Oh, and on the way home, I managed to snap a GREAT ventral pic!

I've got pretty much no experience here, but the distance between the booklungs and the arc of the... er... abdomen line...(?) seems to match pictures of females in the sample images that I've seen! Hope that's the case!

And thanks all for the support. You've all made this a WAY more enjoyable experience!!

EDIT: Aaah, it's called the epigastric furrow. Got it.
      Last edited by Raven8; 01-17-2016 at 07:16 PM.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Nils
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Congratulations on your purchase. My friend has this species and its such a nice, docile T. Great to see your sling is already sporting its little red patch!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nils S For This Useful Post:

Raven8 (01-18-2016)

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      Nice.

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoolman For This Useful Post:

Raven8 (01-18-2016)

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks
      A bit of a double-edged sword as I really wanted a G. pulchra as well, but this little one is just great. It's currently eating a dubia roach, and has the adorable trait of hiding its head when something disturbs it. And I mean this as literally as possible; when I start moving things, it'll walk over to the larger piece of bark and sit with its head underneath and its abdomen sticking out. There's enough room for it to get all the way under, but it seems content to sit with its rear end out in the open =P