Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks

Feeding oddity

Today was feeding day for Penny (G. porteri) and my not-yet-named Euathlus sp. red sling. And, to say the least, it was interesting.

I started out with the Euathlus sling and a roach nymph. The roach hit the substrate and the T instantly pounced on it. However, it didn't bother to bite. Any time the roach would move, this tiny T would stay right on top of it but never actually seal the deal. Eventually I gave up and took away the roach, as I really don't like leaving prey items in the tank, especially when I know that they'll likely dehydrate and die fairly quickly. Next I went to Penny and gave her a nice, fat juvinile. I dropped it in and corralled it to her... and she instantly did the same thing! She pounced on the roach, stayed on top of it, and eventually walked away when she got bored. At this point I tried to use my tongs to get it out, but she immediately pounced on them and very, very slowly scraped her fangs against the end before sauntering away at a snail's pace. I could feel the scraping, and it was amazingly slow and deliberate. To make maters worse, the roach scurried into her hide and apparently buried itself, because it's nowhere to be found.

So here's the question; why the heck are they doing this? In past feedings they've both lashed out and sunk their fangs into the roach in a second. Is this a normal reaction? And if so, what does it mean? At one point I even got my finger too close to the euathlus sling and took a strike on the finger tip, but either A: it didn't extend its fangs, or B: my skin is a lot thicker than I realized, as I didn't feel anything beyond a slight tap. This entire scenario is something that I've never read about, so any insight into the wonderful world of spiders would be very much appreciated =P

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      Are the roaches you are offering them dubias? My reasoning is that some T's will refuse these when first introduced to them. All my T's are fed a mix of dubias and lobster roaches and they accept them both now....but occasionally they do refuse dubias if they are not too hungry....dubias will often play dead and a lot of T's unless really hungry will not pick up a non moving dubia.
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks
      Yup, they're dubias. They've both accepted them in the past, but the play dead factor was probably the reason. I may just have to try and offer directly with tongs and see how that goes. Thanks for the help ^_^d

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Raven8 For This Useful Post:

Nils S (01-21-2016)

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks
      Sorry for the double post, but I got both Ts to eat today, and am about ready to crack up; they didn't want to hunt, they wanted to be fed!

I had to take my tongs and tease right under both of their faces, at which time they very slowly and leisurely raised their legs onto the tongs and took the slowest bite that I've ever seen. They're both now sitting very quietly and contently with their roaches. Lazy little spiders

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      LOL! That's great! Sometimes all they need is a little movement to get a feeding response
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"