Real (nick)name
      Steph
      Tarantulas
      100ish

Thanks

IT'S FINALLY HERE! Revision to Aphonopelma genus

http://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=6264

I've been waiting years for this. Here's the nutshell version:

Of the 55 nominal species of Aphonopelma reported from the United States prior to the present contribution, we only consider 15 of them valid (i.e., we propose 33 new synonymies and consider 7 species nomina dubia). Despite this significant reduction in the number of valid species, we also recognize 14 novel species (described herein), bringing the total diversity of Aphonopelma in the United States to 29 species. It is important to point out that geographic distribution is crucial to understanding Aphonopelma diversity within the United States.

Based on our analyses, we now recognize only 29 distinct species in the United States. We propose 33 new synonymies:
      A. apacheum, A. minchi, A. rothi, A. schmidti, A. stahnkei = A. chalcodes;
      A. arnoldi = A. armada; A. behlei, A. vogelae = A. marxi; A. breenei = A. anax;
      A. chambersi, A. clarum, A. cryptethum, A. sandersoni, A. sullivani = A. eutylenum;
      A. clarki, A. coloradanum, A. echinum, A. gurleyi, A. harlingenum, A. odelli, A. waconum, A. wichitanum = A. hentzi;
      A. heterops = A. moderatum;
      A. jungi, A. punzoi = A. vorhiesi;
      A. brunnius, A. chamberlini, A. iviei, A. lithodomum, A. smithi, A. zionis = A. iodius;
      A. phanum, A. reversum = A. steindachneri,

14 new species:
      A. atomicum sp. n., A. catalina sp. n., A. chiricahua sp. n., A. icenoglei sp. n., A. johnnycashi sp. n., A. madera sp. n., A. mareki sp. n., A. moellendorfi sp. n., A. parvum sp. n., A. peloncillo sp. n., A. prenticei sp. n., A. saguaro sp. n., A. superstitionense sp. n., and A. xwalxwal sp. n.)

and seven nomina dubia: A. baergi, A. cratium, A. hollyi, A. mordax, A. radinum, A. rusticum, A. texense.

Our proposed species tree based on Anchored Enrichment data delimits five major lineages: a monotypic group confined to California, a western group, an eastern group, a group primarily distributed in high-elevation areas, and a group that comprises several miniaturized species.

Now there's a lot of Aphonopelma species that people have, that are called suchandsuch, but are not in the above list. For example, the sp. "Flagstaff Orange." This unfortunately does not help those of us who own tarantulas who aren't on the above list. We still have no clue what species we actually have unless we possess the knowledge to examine our own specimens, compare to the data in this revision, and come to an evidence-based conclusion.
      Last edited by Bugmom; 02-04-2016 at 10:00 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      <-- the only reason I function.
      Follow me on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

or have a gander at my
      Now you can like Bugmom on
      too! I share lots of funny and informative animal-related content.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bugmom For This Useful Post:

Belegnole (02-04-2016), Biollantefan54 (02-04-2016), FaaFaa (02-16-2016), JumpSpidersInc (02-04-2016), Kymura (02-04-2016), Nils S (02-04-2016), Scoolman (02-04-2016), ShanoEvo (05-19-2016), Tgirl1010 (02-04-2016), Ungoliant (02-17-2016)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      Thank you for posting this, Bugmom! I was about to.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      I hae to change my A behlei label

------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoolman For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (02-04-2016)

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Thanks
      going to have to read. I've gotten quite tired of people renaming things, because they can. This feeling includes all sorts of thing, not just T's.

S.V. Exotics

Don't trust a perfect person
      and don't trust a song that's
      flawless.

I am:
      Busy

Real (nick)name
      Steph
      Tarantulas
      100ish

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scoolman View Post
      I hae to change my A behlei label
      I have at least two that will need to be relabeled. But I don't even know what to relabel them as yet.

going to have to read. I've gotten quite tired of people renaming things, because they can. This feeling includes all sorts of thing, not just T's.
      Taxonomic revisions don't happen just because someone says so, they are done because the biological, scientific evidence warrants it. The Aphonopelma genus was so messed up that no one knew what species they had because no one had done the research. There was no scientific data to show proof that species this or species that was separate from existing, known species.

Aphonopelmas in the hobby have long been named "Aphonpelma sp. whatever the seller is calling it" based on, usually, the location of the specimen, or so and so said it was this so it's being sold as that, and so on. A lot of the Aphonopelmas that people in the hobby have are mislabeled and frankly the likelihood of us owning hybrid species is real, and this taxonomic revision will help people hopefully know what exactly they have or determine that they have a hybrid, and we can avoid further hybridizing or mislabeling.

I strongly urge keepers to not breed any Aphonopelmas (or any other tarantula) unless they are positive they know the species.

<-- the only reason I function.
      Follow me on

or have a gander at my
      Now you can like Bugmom on
      too! I share lots of funny and informative animal-related content.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bugmom For This Useful Post:

Biollantefan54 (02-05-2016), FaaFaa (02-16-2016), ShanoEvo (05-19-2016)

Administrator

I will find you.

I am:
      Lurking

Real (nick)name
      Jump, JSI
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 5,731 Times in 4,740 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Bugmom View Post
      I strongly urge keepers to not breed any Aphonopelmas (or any other tarantula) unless they are positive they know the species.
      This is why I didn't offer up my MM A. moderatum for breeding. Even tho he came from a VERY reliable source, who in turn also received from a reliable source... I wasn't 100% POSITIVE that he IS a moderatum. *I* think he is BUT... all the confusion with the Aphonopelma genus made me hang onto him.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with any tarantula species.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JumpSpidersInc For This Useful Post:

Bugmom (02-05-2016), ShanoEvo (05-19-2016)

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Bugmom View Post
      I have at least two that will need to be relabeled. But I don't even know what to relabel them as yet.

Taxonomic revisions don't happen just because someone says so, they are done because the biological, scientific evidence warrants it. The Aphonopelma genus was so messed up that no one knew what species they had because no one had done the research. There was no scientific data to show proof that species this or species that was separate from existing, known species.

Aphonopelmas in the hobby have long been named "Aphonpelma sp. whatever the seller is calling it" based on, usually, the location of the specimen, or so and so said it was this so it's being sold as that, and so on. A lot of the Aphonopelmas that people in the hobby have are mislabeled and frankly the likelihood of us owning hybrid species is real, and this taxonomic revision will help people hopefully know what exactly they have or determine that they have a hybrid, and we can avoid further hybridizing or mislabeling.

True. But, scientific papers and submissions often get shot down or refused for numerous reasons. As, papers are one of the biggest ways for scientists to advance themselves they should not be taken as gospel. So I want to read it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Belegnole For This Useful Post:

J!m (02-06-2016)

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks
      This feels like when they release patch notes for Smash Bros =P
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Nils
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Who wouldn't want a species named johnnycashi?!

I think I need a few more
      spiders!

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Jen
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 1,115 Times in 935 Posts
      I always find this research and shifting of things very interesting. I do wish I could understand it all a little better though!
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.