Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks

Stridulation species

So the main tarantulas that I'm aware of that stridulate are T. blondi, P. muticus, and the Australian "whistling tarantula". But my question is this; what other T's stridulate? And in particular; will T. Stirmi stridulate like its cousin Blondi?
      DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

Blah

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Greg
      Tarantulas
      6 + babies

Thanks
      Ready to Read?.. Ugh I was trying to keep this short... eh... oh well. Looking up Stridulation, you might read this, "Stridulation is known in a few tarantulas" -- LOL, Actually, There are a LOT T's that can stridulate! Actually Most T's CAN. But, there are Few'er' that are really Known for stridulating, And even then there are still a surprisingly high number that you might, or would most likely hear it from.

To start, there is an incomplete list, here on the forum, showing photos of the stridulating hair/spikes with each species.
      http://www.tarantulasus.com/showthre...ulating-organs

the stridulating parts are the larger thicker harder spikes and/or hairs, on one appendage, which comb through a forrest of down-like feathery hairs on the opposing appendage. Those with thickest forrests of this type of setae, with longer tightly spaced spikes, can stridulate the loudest.

However the list is very much incomplete. But to be honest, I can't even even imagine a complete - complete list even without photos.
      But, here is a start.

by Subfamily:

Possibly due to anger management issues, The largest group of T's your most likely going to hear stridulating from is the Baboons. Harpactirinae (T's of Africa): At least 80% can! The other 20% I don't know. But In fact, There is No baboon that I know to not have stridulating organs. Baboon species that I know have them: Augacephalus, Ceratogyrus, Pterinochilus (Which is named after the stridulating organs on the chelicerae). Eucratoscelus, Hysterocrates, Heteroscodra. (Though honestly I don't know one way or the other about Monocentropus or Harpactira) From what I have personally seen, The most Notorious for stridulating are Hysterocrates (I hear every time I rehouse!) and Pelinobus. Some one might chime in for other Baboons. I rarely ever heard it from any of my OBTs and I never did hear stridulating from my Augacephalus.

Ornithoctoninae: I'd bet at least 50% can! The rest of the subfamily, I really don't know, This subfamily is a complete mess right now with all the name changes, I don't even want to mention. But I know that Lampropelma, Ornithoctonus, Citharognathus and Ciriopagopus, and all of the (untill recently known as) Haplopelma, Can Stridulate, but it may be uncommon to hear it, I'm not sure, I really don't know.
      But There isn't one species I can think of that I know to not be able to stridulate.

Poecilotheriinae, I'm pretty sure all Poecis are able to stridulate, but I have never heard one actually do it.

Selenocosmiinae, the Australian subfamily including the Selenocosmia. I'd bet Most if not all have them are able, and further well known for being somewhat loud.

And then there are the New World Species. America has the longest list of genera, and I can't think of any that don't have stridulating organs. However they may often may be less likely to stridulate. Theraphosa, Acanthoscuria, Psalmopoeus, Lasiodora, and Brachypelma, Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus, Xenesthis, I know all have stridulating organs. I wouldn't be surprised if Tapinauchenius also had them, But the only New World species I've heard actually stridulate are Theraphosa bondi, and a Pamphobeteus species who stridulate with every running step. I don't know enough about Avics tho.

In the End,
      I'm not sure if there is a genus, that, flat out can't stridulate. Maybe Aphonopelma, and Avicularia ??... I tried to look it up, but have found my searches inconclusive. and gave up quickly.

-Greg

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gregery For This Useful Post:

***Beth*** (06-11-2016), Raven8 (06-07-2016), Ricky (06-08-2016), ShanoEvo (06-14-2016)

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks
      @Gregery:

Woah! Thanks a ton for all of that information! I never would have guessed that such an adaptation was actually available to so many Ts. Now I'm really curious as to why only such a small handful of them actually make use of it, seems like it's quite an asset to the entire "I'm big and I have big fangs!" threat display. Seeing videos of king baboons rearing back and hissing their heads off is actually pretty dang intimidating =P
      Last edited by J!m; 12-04-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Super pulchra Mod

No status right now.

I am:
      Lurking

Tarantulas
      A lot

Thanks
      Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,313 Posts
      stirmi can stridulate, and quite loud at that. Mine does it all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      ------

Relax! Take it easy. This is not an instantaneous hobby. It's a long term "getting to know you" sort of thing. There's plenty of time, perhaps a whole lifetime, to enjoy these phenomenal creatures. Patience. One step at a time. One day at a time. No worries. -Stan Schultz

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      I hear my Lp making stridulation noises when she is out walking on me.

And so did my Pamphobeteus antinous.

Or I should ask, would this classify as stridulation?

Please note, I took the time with this one video to try to record this big 8" girl as she ran, so you could hear how loud she was, but this was not my habit. I did not torment this girl like this.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

***Beth*** (06-11-2016), Raven8 (06-23-2016)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      gregery you da man! Scoolman, I bet Precious does some LOUD stridulating! . ManlyMan7, you are one very brave fellow with that GIANT LP!
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Super Mellow Moderator

They call me the
      wanderer/Yeah, the wanderer/ I
      roam around, around, around

I am:
      Spaced

Real (nick)name
      pan
      Tarantulas
      lots!!

Thanks
      Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,094 Posts

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

Arachnoob

Enjoying my spiders

I am:
      Spaced

Tarantulas
      5 and counting

Thanks
      One interesting discovery on my end that very well may not be stridulation exactly, but figured I'd say it regardless.

My Versicolor has turned out to be a fairly interesting spider; any time she nabs prey, it just about sounds like someone snapping their fingers with her strike. Since the beginning I thought that this was just because she hits so hard, but tonight I tried to slip a cricket into her web, and after it ran around annoying her for a minute or two she finally struck and missed the cricket entirely... but at that moment there was another loud snapping sound that seemed to linger for 1/2 second longer than normal. Is it possible that she's stridulating with her strikes?

In looking online, I found a topic on another forum that mentioned something of kin to this (one that I can't post a link to or mention by name apparently). Google avicularia versicolor stridulating and it should be the 4th result, a topic made in June of 2003.

If it can be believed, the 2nd poster mentions that his versi stridulates. If that's the case, this just became more interesting. My girl may very well be going into premolt as she hasn't wanted to eat for the past week or so, but once that's over with I'll record her feeding and see if I can catch the sound.

And Manly: Dang it, now you're putting an LP near the top of my "gotta have" list again XD

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      BTW, that wasn't my Lp in the video. That was my late P. antinous. She was my heaftiest T, outweighing my 7" A. genic, and my 9" Lp, though she was only 8".

I miss her.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.