I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Greg
      Tarantulas
      6 + babies

Thanks

New Tarantula Lens.

I've been planning on "Fixing" (Braking and modifying) My Plastic Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for a while now.

Wanting to build a new body for it, and converting it to a Tilt And Shift (TS) Lens.
      Don't know what that is?

Tilt and Shift in photography allows for Non Parallel and Non Linear, Depth of Focus. With enough tilt, it can almost appear to have perpendicular plane of focus.

T&S cameras (or Lenses) are most commonly associated with Large Format cameras, And very few T&S Lenses are available to 35mm and DSLR.. And for the most part, across the board, equipment is extremely expensive... None however are intended for Macro Photography.. Which kinda makes me mad.

Where you would most likely recognize the use of Tilt and Shift is in Cinematography, Especially in Comic Books Movies, X-Men, Bat Man, Spider Man, etc. It's That slightly cliche, moment when one character steps away from the other, and towards the camera for the up close monologue. The distraught Face of Professor Xavier in the foreground, and Renegade or who ever else in the background. Both characters are in focus Yet Everything else is blown out.

Well, Not only is This it fun, but it can produce Stunning photos, And Could be very useful in Macro photography, And for T's.

Demonstration of Nearly Perpindicular Depth of Field. This was Not Photoshopped!

The lens was already broken, Focus Ring was snagging and binding, and the AF failing.
      I took the lens apart and fixed it a few times. And the last time, I accidentally broke the EF ribbon, rendering the lens Nearly useless. I could still use it So long as I didn't adjust the Aperture.

So, for the modification, I removed All Electrical components, Including the AF drive, The Focus Ring, and even The Aperture... And the Lens Body Also.

After this, All pictures through this lens will be taken at f/1.8. EF connection was already destroyed.
      And Focusing is now Push, Pull, & Position.

All that's left is the Lens Elements. laying inside a Macro Tube.

But How can this be "Useful?"

How about this photo?
      Appearing to be Infinite Depth of Field. At first, You probably wouldn't notice how much of the image is actually Blown out of Focus.
      Lens was Tilted Down & Left, And Shifted Up & Right.

At this Focusing Distance, with f/1.8, The Depth of Feild should be less than 5mm...
      But consider, you can Tilt the Plane of Focus any way you want!

In the Photograph are the Components of the Lens I just destroyed... And Photographed... With the Lens I just Destroyed.
      Mwahahaha.

What is In Focus is a Very Thin and Shallow plane, nearly parallel with the table Instead of the Camera.
      Fun Way to Brake a Lens, Right?
      -Greg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregery For This Useful Post:

Biollantefan54 (07-01-2016), JumpSpidersInc (06-30-2016)

Blah

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Greg
      Tarantulas
      6 + babies

Thanks
      Yey!! I figured out a good solution for the bellows. It holds the lens 'nearly' strait. LOL
      I don't mind, It works...

For focusing, you forcebly move the lens element to position.. It allows Tilt And Shift In Any direction. And Focus can be done with Tilt, Or by pushing the lens in closer to the camera. Otherwise, without augmenting the lens position. I've got about a x/5 Reproduction, and Focal Distance at about 8 inches.. .. .. AND.. it doesn't look all that bad. Kinda Neat Actually.

-Greg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gregery For This Useful Post:

Biollantefan54 (07-01-2016)

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,295 Posts
      gregery, that lens mod is something special! The first photo has a miniature effect to it for me
      T. stirmi 0.3.18, T. apophysis 6.5" 0.1.0
      N. chromatus 0.1.0, N. coloratovillosus 0.2.0
      G. pulchripes 0.1.0, A. geniculata 0.2.0
      P. regalis 0.2.0, Chilobrachy sai yok 0.1.0, Gorgyrella sp. black Africa 0.1.0
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Blah

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Greg
      Tarantulas
      6 + babies

Thanks
      Thankyou Ranchibi.

Yup, You are right... Tilting the Focal plane in the wrong direction definitely makes everything seem miniature, or Macro.. Actually that image doesn't give me so much of a Miniature feel, well, not as much as some City scape photos with a similar tilt do. .. If you do an image search for city scape photos using TS lenses, you'll see what I mean. Say TS-E 24mm, a lot of the photos look like Model Cities or buildings. They are really neat, but are kinda the "fun" excuses for the such a pricy lens.

On the other hand, the real purpose if you tilt the focal plane just right. You can get Astonishing results, for completely different reasons..

And.. yet in another hand, Actually using it for macro, or sub-Macro Is pretty neat.
      If I can, I may soon photograph Phoebe (Poecilotheria vittata).

Well... My super cheap version of a TS Lens is fairly difficult to use... I've found it nearly impossible to get the focal plane to match 3 or more depths. So, I often getting a bit of a dreamy, or nostalgic feel, and some kinda have a mixing of all those properties..

With this lens, I almost feel like I'm working with a Holga LOL. sometimes you just got to let go of perfection and take a few shots. and walk away when they aren't perfect. But, I'm almost completely satisfied with the lens..

-Greg

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      I am enjoying your photos with the TS lens! I remember seeing a tilt lens for some camera manufacturer awhile back. I still own a Leica M6 film cam! LOL Tells ya how old and moldy I am . I will check out some TS photos! Keep'em coming!
      L. parahybana 0.1.0, L. striatipes 0.2.0, L. klugi 0.1.0, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo 0.1.0
      Acanthogonatus pi ss ii 0.2.0, Acanthogonatus francki 0.2.0, 1-Linothele fallax 0.1.0, A. vilches 0.1.0, Diplura sp. Sanguinea 1/2"

Blah

I am:
      Thinking

Real (nick)name
      Greg
      Tarantulas
      6 + babies

Thanks
      Thanks Ranchibi

Close up Portraits look Amazing!

So After a while I decided that I wanted to, kinda mess the lens up even more. LOL
      Well, because of the Tilt and shift, It's pretty easy to produce vignetting.. Too Easy!! Which makes it difficult to work with.
      So to prevent the vignetting, I figured a Goat-iris-Aperture might help. I put a rectangular aperture inside… which kinda evens out the vignetting on extreme tilting from side to side.. but retains a fairly wide aperture. The semi-permanent aperture is probably the equivalent of f/2.8.. .. The side affect is rather than having a circular Lens blur. It produces a kind of striated lens blur. Kinda neat tho.

-Greg

Fighting Ants... HELP!!!

I am:
      Stuck

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Awesome mod (rectangular aperature)! It gives it an even dreamier feel to your photos ...I like! You are very driven...I wish I had your drive