• Crappy
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First T

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

First T

I'm decided on an Aphonopelma chalcodes for my first T. I've done a lot of research but I want to make sure the info I follow is accurate, and as we all know the Internet is full of misinformation. Does anyone have a care sheet or links for info that they know is accurate? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonDraggen For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (11-23-2016)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Hey CrimsonDraggon.

That sounds like an excellent choice for a first T. I think that is the one Aphonopelma species I would love to have.

I don't know how much detail it gets into, but you could check out the fan club for this species and see what you can glean. In the future, I would hope we can add a useful care sheet to the home page of this forum.

The fan club is here: http://www.tarantulasus.com/showthre...elma-chalcodes

Otherwise, I would say that these are going to be hardy Ts that enjoy drier climates. Have you tried to research their native habitat in Arizona and that region? Hot during the day and cool at night. Though keep in mind that most terrestrial tarantulas will stay hidden away in their cool and maybe even damp burrows during the heat of the day, and come out at night when it is cooler.

I do understand they are one of the slowest growing Ts, so be prepared to have some patience.

Hopefully, someone with more experience can pipe in and help answer your questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
      Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Thanks for the link to the fan club I know all about patience in growing things, I'm also into bonsai lol.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonDraggen For This Useful Post:

JumpSpidersInc (11-23-2016), Tgirl1010 (11-23-2016)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,439 Times in 3,165 Posts
      Awesome!

When you get one, we would love to see pics.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Absolutely!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonDraggen For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator

Ready for Halloween!

I am:
      Cheerful

Tarantulas
      maybe 70 ish?

Thanks
      Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,845 Posts
      I don't have that species either, but I would assume care would be similar to A hentzi. That's a guess though. Slings will generally need a little more moisture than an adult. What size are you looking to get?

Oh, and I LOVE bonsai. Pictures of those would be great!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tgirl1010 For This Useful Post:

CrimsonDraggen (11-28-2016)

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Real (nick)name
      Nils
      Tarantulas

Thanks
      Hello CrimsonDraggen

Although I don't have chalcodes, I have two Aphonopelma species whose care is the same--anax and sp. Cochise. Aphonopelma anax was my first T and I have not been disappointed. I'm sure you will be pleased with chalcodes.

I echo TGirl's comment that care is different for spiderlings. After deciding species, choosing between a sling or juvenile/adult tarantula is next. Caring for a sling and watching it grow can be very rewarding. Compared to many tropical species the growth of North American Aphonopelma is slow, but it is noticeable.

Keep us posted with questions and photos.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nils S For This Useful Post:

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      You have chosen an incredibly beautiful first tarantula. I love the taupe colors of this species.

I would like to reiterate one fact that has already been mentioned. All Aphonopelma species are extremely SLOW growing. If you can find a juvenile rather than a sling, that would be good. Let me give you an example to illustrate why I say this. Around 10 years ago I bought an Aphonopelma bicoloratum that was around 4". Like I said, I have had this girl for at least 10 years. She might be 4 1\2" now. The point that I'm trying to make is that if you buy a 1\2" sling, you're going to have a 3\4" sling in 2 years. That might be an exaggeration but you get the point.

Just a side point, I have always considered A. bicoloratum to be the Cadillac of the Aphonopelma species. They are considered to be
      extremely rare though. But, A. chalcodes are equally beautiful with their taupe colors. To me, they have always reminded me of a muted version of A. bicoloratum. You should definitely get one.

My
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyTwoCents.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	66048
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to J!m For This Useful Post:

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      I have an A. anax and an A. new river rust rump sps. I've had the rust rump for4 years and it is only about 2.5 " the anax is 1.5 " probably 6 mos. old. A female of some Aphonopelma species can live for forty years. Much longer than a lot of common mammal pets, what a bargain!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanny For This Useful Post:

CrimsonDraggen (12-07-2016), J!m (12-07-2016)

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      So it took a while longer than I planned but I finally got my first T's. I only planned on getting one, but ended up grabbing a second. I got a B. albopilosum sling instead of an A. chalcodes since my reptile store was out. I'll get one at a later date. I also got a T that was labeled an A. versicolor, but the guy said it was mislabeled and was actually an A. avicularia, or even an A. urticans. From what pictures I've seen from pics I'm leaning towards urticans. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/588582fc...22_230431.jpg?
      http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5885830b...22_230757.jpg?
      http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5885832c...22_230655.jpg?
      http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58858330...22_230504.jpg?

Last edited by CrimsonDraggen; 01-22-2017 at 11:13 PM.